The new scatter gun...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Dr. Marneaus, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Well, I had a nice tacticool Mossberg 930SPX and it was great, but I wanted something more classic, more basic, that I know will out last be and be stupid reliable.

I have Always been partial to wood furniture, and in my eyes nothing is as classic as the police furniture on a Remington 870.

I had planned to Pick up an 870 express and swap to police furniture, but then I decided, why not go all the way.

I found an 870P, Police magnum, brand new with the wood furniture. I missed one on gun broker with the extended tube but that's no big deal.

Just had it shipped in and picked it up today. Absolutely beautiful walnut furniture.

The ONLY mods this will be getting is a factory Remington 2 shot extension which will be arriving tomorrow, and the sling you see in the last pic. The idea here is to keep it simple, keep it basic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. stag556

stag556 New Member

Nice, sometimes simply is better!

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Very nice. Good coloring on the wood grain.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

That is a nice looking gun! Once you put the extension on the magazine tube you will have a great place to mount a light.

5. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I'm almost I'm your same boat..
    I have a "tacticool" mossberg 590A1 for (one of) my home defense guns..

But I'm in the market for the exact same shotgun you bought yourself...

Nothing like a simple 870 with wood furniture...nice shotgun, my friend.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice gun. Congrats!

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My daughter became so frustrated when I was looking for a shotgun. I wanted wood, and I wanted rifle sights, with a barrel no longer than 20 inches. In today's market that was unbelievably hard to find. I finally settled for a Winchester pump, but I didn't get the sights I wanted. It feels good to me, so it will keep me happy until I find what I really want.

8. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Now that's what I'm talking about. Sweet.

9. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

One fine pellet pusher you got yourself there, glad to see there are people out their that still favor wood furniture.

10. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

make it even simpler. lose the sling . they just snag on things. slings are for 20 mile marches anyway.

11. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Thanks guys!

This shotgun will be used in training classes where I will be required to have a sling, so it'll stay. Also, it's generally advantageous to have a sling where one can still shoulder the rifle or let it down to use their hands, which is how this is set up with the 3 point.

I actually lied, It will get some very minor mods. Ordered a stainless follower, a larger safety (I'm a lefty), and a bottom mount sling plate to try. I may or may not work with that, or i'll just throw the sling on a swivel on the mag extension. We shall see!

12. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Well, all done as far as aesthetics go.

image-1963557372.jpg

image-1384232189.jpg

image-2535533850.jpg

The Remington extension went on perfect and matches just right! I'm glad I went with the factory extension.

This, right here, is what a pump gun should look like, in my mind. Perfect, simple, rugged, reliability. Real wood, no Tupperware!

13. 304inc

304inc New Member

That mag extension is a perfect match fit & finish. What's the barrel length total? Looking to pick one up but my barrel is 18 1/4", wondering if I would have to go with +1 tube...
    Great looking shotty btw, that walnut is booteafull.

14. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Thanks!!!!

I guess I was reading that now the "18" inch barrels are actually 18.5 in order to make it even with the mag extension, where as the older ones were shorter.

I measured and my barrel is 18.5 by dropping a tape measure inside. If yours is 18.25 I would still go with this mag extension. The originally were .5" longer and that was to accept a bayonet. There is no problem with it extending past the muzzle.

FYI these extensions are like 70 on midway and 80 on gun broker, for some reason brownells is like 125

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

16. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Oh that's right! It was the other Doc who wanted the rifle sights. Too many Drs on one forum LOL!

18. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

There can be only one forum doctor!

19. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Well, even though I didnt really want to, I added a side saddle for practicality reaons. This really does need one in order to be most effective.

Picked up a Mesa Tactical unit at New Frontier last night, and mounted it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fits great, seems very solid.

I also installed my stainless steel follower (why in the world they still install that wimpy plastic thing is beyond me).
    [​IMG]

And a vang comp safety. Definitely makes it easier to manipulate, being a lefty.
    [​IMG]