The new Rossi Ranch Hand "Mare's Leg" must have pistol!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by powg, Jun 27, 2010.

1. powg

powg New Member

you guys have to see this new rossi .....josh randall style ''mares leg '' ive got to have one but in what caliber ...44 mag or 357 tough choice ,i live in east tx so it would be perfect to carry on my 4 wheeler for hogs.or trespassers on our deer lease ....had our lease trashed by punks,theives stealing copper from our electrical serviceoutlets to camp sites...probably go the .44mag as companion to my s&w 29 .44mag 8 1/2 ''travis bickle'' edition..the rossi can be had for around 450.00

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I saw those. Cool looking, but not super functional. But it would be an attention getter with any nefarious deed doers.

The .44 is gonna have a bark to it. The .357 will be way more enjoyable to shoot.

If you get one we need to see pics of it strapped on your ATV.

3. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Yes, but from the photo of Steve McQueen as the bounty hunter in Wanted Dead or Alive, it looks like his was a .45-70! I remember staying up late as a very small boy to watch that show!

I saw the rifle/pistol in the ad in this month's NRA mag, and said I gotta have one of those, but I am not sure what it would be good for.

4. freefall

freefall New Member

I thought Steve McQueen had a 44-40. I want one too. .44mag all the way.

5. reggie

reggie New Member

Arn't there any .45 guys out there?

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

7. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I read, I think in G&A by Patrick Sweeney, that Steve was using a .44-40 but the producer decided .45-70's looked better in his cartridge belt.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The new Rossi Ranch Hand "Mare's Leg"

Attached Files:

9. russ

russ New Member

Looks like Tallahassee's zombie killer. .44 all the way.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for adding the pic Cane.

11. reggie

reggie New Member

Finally got one in .45. Love it! I'm a .45 guy.

12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Make mine 44-40, it's more authentic.:D

13. reggie

reggie New Member

Yes, but Rossi only makes .44 magnum along with 38/357 and the .45. They are going for about $500.00. A true 44-40 will will cost you about $2,000.00+ from Eagle Squadron. They make the only true reproduction, and even they don't realize that there were 3 different models that Steve used on the show.

14. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

It is definitely neat, but I honestly don't think it will be any more practical than your 8" revolver.

But if you're going to get one, go .44mag all the way. You can load the .44 down to 70% power (say, 180gr @1400fps) and still be easily as effective as a .357 pushing its limits. Just the same, you could run a 240gr bullet at 1100fps and have a very effective closer-range hog or deer gun that would still do well on 2-legged varmints. In a 4lb gun that shouldn't be bad at all.

But still, I don't feel like it would do anything better than a big, heavy revolver.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

It would be a lot harder to shoot accurately than a good revolver. But it has the cool factor out the wazoo.

16. nate

nate New Member

Another option would be that one made out of the Judge for .410/45LC.

17. bluegrasscotty

bluegrasscotty New Member

Been waiting for mine since October. Finally be here by end of the week! Mine is in .357 Magnum. I know everyone says they are not very practical but since when do our toys have to be practical?? I think that after some practice it might make a great Deer gun for the woods where those short shots come into play. Anyone agree?? Off topic but gonna use my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 for some woods huntin'!! I'm am glad they didn't make it a side ejecter though. Also I think with it being in calibers that are more common than 44-40 Win is a smarter choice. Also gives a chance to see how much more punch the .45LC, .44Mag & .357Mag will have taking the advantage of a longer barrel length. Anyway I can't wait to start killing some pop cans & paper!!!

18. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

Suppressed Ranch Hand

It is an interesting host for a suppressor. 44 Spl. loads are easily subsonic & you can use a .45 pistol suppressor since the pressure wouldn't be too high with the 12" barrel. I'd pay the $200 NFA tax stamp to make it a SBR & add the full length stock to make it useable. With some big, slow bullets it would be a good deer or hog gun.

Advanced Armament Corp. » Wild Wild West Tech

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Very cool looking gun. Looks fun to shoot.

20. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

came across these when i was shopping for a lever action in 44mag for an upcoming hog hunt. I think character alone just may put one of these in my collection eventually...

they are definitley cool looking

it would still be in contention if i didnt come across a marlin lever in .444 that seemed like a steal and a hair more versatile.:cool: