The need for speed.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Ghost1958, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

The recent White Settlement Church shooting is one instance where the need for speed of draw to accurate first shot is important . The lack of it cost a very good man his life in that instance.

Watching the video of that shooting, the first security team member, had over 3 seconds to draw and fire before he was shot. Had he had a 1.5 sec draw to fire, something not that hard to attain he very well may have lived.
    He was carrying in such that his clothing hampered his draw, and though it took the shooter over three seconds to react to Mr Whites obviously going for his gun , the slowness of getting his gun into the fight cost mr. White his life.

The video is also a good example of how long it can take an attacker with a gun already drawn to react to his victim drawing and firing.

Many can only shoot at ranges where drawing is not allowed. But one can practice draw speed at home dry firing.

Even a 2 second draw to fire probably would have saved the security team member and the decon shot 2nd their lives.

Just something to think about .

2. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

Nobody wants to be slower.. that's said, only in the most narrow of circumstances is "speed of draw" going to be the primary or deciding factor in surviving a criminal attack. Could absolute speed be the deciding factor?.. sure. Should you strive for a clean and unencumbered draw?..sure. If it were 1880 I might feel different but it aint 1880.

I don't think draw speed should be the discussion regarding the church shooting. I think it should be reactive vs proactive security methodology.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020

3. Ghost1958

Granted, the shooter should have been challenged at the door, or even in the parking lot. Wearing an obvious wig, fake beard, etc should have resulted in multiple armed security team members confronting him long before they did.
    The man who shot the criminal, stated the shooter was being " watched" so they had noticed his weird get up.

I created this thread using that shooting only because it is on pretty clear video, and does demonstrate there are situations one can find themselves in where accurate draw to first shot can make the difference between surviving or not.

Not so much as a critique of that particular instance.

TelstaR likes this.
  4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Move, get to cover, then engage the shooter, don't stick out like a sore thumb.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member Supporter

A fast draw and a round fired on target is certainly something to work on when shooting.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  6. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

as a hard and fast rule? not me.

As an armed person willing to defend, I will respond based on the particular nuances of the moment. I may not move from my spot at all, I might take a knee, I might go prone, side lying position or even supine. Sure, I might move, run or take cover or I might stand and deliver. It all depends.

I will say that running away and taking cover is probably a better blanket/generic response than to sanction standing frozen by the paralysis of complete indecision.

The important things is that I have a fair grasp of my appropriate options within a particular circumstance, make a decision and take action without delay.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

8. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

I will not quibble with you over semantics. I am confident that you understand what I was saying regarding moving and taking cover. A common sentiment is to "get off the X" or move to cover. I might move in a manner to "get off the X", I might move in a manner to reach cover -or- I might not.. it all depends.

Thank you for your comment all the same

Ghost1958 likes this.
  9. Ghost1958

Personally if cover is a couple of feet away , and the attacker is 10 or more yards away I probably would go for cover.

Otherwise, and this just my personal experience and opinion , I've more chance putting lead on target , FAST. Action beats reaction almost all the time if the speed is there.

I cant outrun a bullet . If my attacker can shoot at all my moving "off the x" is futile because I am the x. My armed attacker at close range can track me with his gun much faster than I can run.

I practice moving and shooting at the same time , but in close quarters IMO getting lead into my attacker, is job one.

TelstaR and towboater like this.