The Myth About the Garand "Ping"

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Amsdorf, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Myths circulate around about the "ping" noise the M1 Garand made when the last round from a clip was fired and the clip ejected. This video shows that clip being ejected, in slow motion as well, and then addresses the myth that the distinct "ping" sound made when the clip ejects gave troops away during WWII. Except for some very specific and particular circumstances, it is a total and complete myth that the "ping" noise was somehow endangering troops.

Here's why:

[ame]http://youtu.be/OtDoQDJ2Bnw[/ame]

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Even if they could hear the 'ping' during a battle, just because one guy is out doesn't mean the rest are. I imagine there were a lot of pings going on, imagine 50 guys shooting at you, there would be a ping every few seconds... Probably hell on the enemies nerves.

3. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I don't believe your video. The Internet is full of false information. As a truth seeking individual I feel it is my obligation to buy one of these rifles. For research purposes and stuff. Ha.

4. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Hoovc, or...you can come out with me to the range and stand next to me when I'm shooting mine, without hearing protection, and we can talk about how well you could hear the "ping"

: )

5. sputnik1988

"See, they could hear the ping, it's continuous, wait... why won't it stop???"

6. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I'm just trying to make up a reason to buy another rifle. Research sounds like a good enough one. Haha.

7. sputnik1988

The M1 rifle needs no excuse... Buy it.;)

8. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

You can get nice ones, still, from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $700 or so shipped. They aren't going down in price, so....

9. sputnik1988

And the same rifle in a local gun shop will run you $900-$1000.

I bought mine a few years ago from a guy affiliated with the CMP, though I can't remember his name for the life of me. He is apparently a very important guy in the Garand industry, he was surprised when I didn't have a clue who he was. Showed me his name in a book about collecting Garands... Still don't remember.:p

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

There has to be a little something to the ping because as the video stated, if the one veteran said that he tied a string to the clip to produce a ping sound to fool the enemy.
    That would tell us that the enemy knew what the ping sound meant. I'm not saying that they always heard the ping, but if in a scout type confrontation & for some reason the scout didn't reload after his last round of fire or he fired 8 rounds there would be a ping sound.
    If the enemy heard the ping, knew he was out of ammo also knew how long it took him to reload would also know that he may have a .45cal back up pistol.
    So unless the enemy was ready to attack all at the same time, knowing that two or three of them may get shot,
    I wouldn't think that this situation would happen much if at all.
    I agree that in a full out battle front not much opposing action was taken when the ping said that the shooter was out of ammo, if it was even heard.

11. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have been in a few fire fights, not with an M1, but if I had been I doubt that i could have heard the ping and about the only thing I could have heard and felt was my heart pulse pounding in my head over the noises of the battle.

12. hoovco

hoovco New Member

We have a CMP affiliated club here in south MS. I'll have to ask em about ordering one.

13. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

bogus claim.
    i shot a garand for over 22 years and it does ping.
    what you new guys forget is many of the pings were when it bounces off your helmet, the top of the rifle, a rock, the guy next to you, tree trunks, you name it. it pings.
    i was there with hands on. you can take my word to the bank.

my father-in-law served in guadacanal. not all fire fights are all out rattle battles. a lot of them were close quarters, hole to hole. tree to tree. you can here the ping just fine that close just like you can smell the enemy.

regards
    u.s navy rifle team.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  14. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

In a full out battle, it was impossible to hear. Period. End of story. Just ain't true.

Imagine a squad all blasting away, a MG or two going at it, then add arty, then maybe some tanks....and imagine the noise of enemy fire...

They did not wear any hearing protection.

15. sputnik1988

As loud as it is shooting a 30-06, try standing on the end that goes bang.;)

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

my garand makes a ping when the magazine autoejects and then it pings some more as it hits the ground or other objects as it falls. its not really that loud. the enemy would need to be standing well within 15 yards to hear it. the whole enemy waiting for the ping to attack makes for a good hollywood style story but thats about it.

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My friend has a Garand we shoot. It pings when it's out, but doesn't ping when it lands in the snow or grass.

I've never been in a firefight, but I've shot the hell out of autoloading rifles from 5.56, to .308 and 30-06 without hearing protection. I couldn't imagine hearing that "ping" over shooting...

18. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

you forget....these claims of pinging were from ww2. house to house, jungle bush to jungle bush. rocky iwo jima....
    the main engagement may have been all out hell, but afterwards during clean ups and stalking....they were real close.
    my uncle gave accounts where they could hear jap knives coming out of sheathes just before an attack.
    pings could be heard.
    end of story back at ya.

19. Orlando

Orlando New Member

The club doesnt order the M1 ,you do
    The club affiliation is just one step to meeting requirements
    Its really fairly simple and straightforward. If you need any help PM me
    http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

20. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

If you hear the ping when my M1 rifle is empty and plan on charging me, be aware that I'm a soldier of the Old School, and you will be impaled on the M5 bayonet affixed to the rifle.