The most awesome idea for a coffee table ever.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, Jul 18, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Just got hom from my LGS, where the owner told about his idea for a coffee table...

He's sold several crates of Mosin Nagants and said that he would like to get another and put a glass top on it, leaving the Mosin's untouched.

He said that he wanted to etch a small "Break in case of emergency" in the corner. I thought it sounded like an awesome idea.:cool:

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Nice! More like 'Break in case of emergency, and spend the next 2 weeks cleaning cosmoline off guns'

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yeah, I believe I would clean them up a bit and then put them back in.:p

4. tri70

tri70 New Member

A very tough Plexiglases with a hidden hinge would work to, that way if someone tried to steal them it would be hard to figure out.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Pretty Cool...

I'm waiting for my next bank or check cashing project hoping to snag a scrap piece of ballistic glass. Most teller windows are Level II rated and should stop common pistol rounds.

I thought I'd pump an array of cool defensive rounds into the glass then mount it to a table "holes down" so you could see the bullet's noses expanded or partially expanded. :cool:

Doing some research it sounds like the ballistic glass layers separate upon impact creating a large opaque area so I don't think I'll get the clear "round stuck in glass" look I was hoping for...:mad:

It will be fun finding out though! :)

Tack

6. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

Well in a more perfect world this would be a great idea! :)

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do not use the glass- it is incredibly heavy, and yes, immediate area of impact become opaque. Get some 1 inch Lexan polycarbonate. Low velocity stuff bounces off (45s) Hi Vel gets stuck in.

8. DougB

DougB New Member

Mighty expensive stuff! Will scratch quite easily too.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Do we even want to know how you know that? :D

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

You could possible place a piece of regular glass over it to prevent scratches. How expensive is that stuff?

11. DougB

DougB New Member

According to this sight, eight square feet (24" X 48") of 1/2" clear is about $175. With tax and shipping (To Wisconsin)....almost $226.00!!

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lexan_Clear_Polycarbonate_Sheet/LEXAN-CLR-0-500AM24X48

I've worked with polycarb quite a bit, and you have to saw this material to fit which leaves rough edges. Unless you inset the material you then need to polish the edges in some fashion to make it look decent. Way too much work for this guy!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

At Ft Benning GA we have an artillery adjustment range- students call for and adjust artillery fire from a battery of 105mm howitzers. Live fire. Sometimes the students screw up, and the shells hit their own position.

So we built them a bunker. It is a LOT of very tough steel and fiber reinforced concrete. The ground level windows in the bunker are Lexan. 12 layers of 1 inch lexan. Now and again, we would need to replace the outer layer.

13. steve666

steve666 New Member

Around '79 or '80 I got the bright idea of making a clear breadboard, just for working dough. So I went to a local plastics shop and got a piece of polycarb 30" x 30" x 5/8". I had them round the corners and radius and buff out the edges. Paid an arm and a leg for it even then. It was pretty cool for a little while, but got scratched up pretty quickly and it would slide all over the table or countertop unless you put a damp towel under it. In the long run I would have done better in all ways, except replacing something heavy with something even heavier, if I had gone with a piece of marble.

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I thought of making a desk with a piece of polycarbonate set into it, then using soft lighting to illuminate it from underneath.