The Mosin - Why?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by indy36, Sep 1, 2013.

1. indy36

indy36 New Member

Question for you. I'm younger than a lot of you, 41, and I'm curious. Why does everyone seem to want Mosin rifles? What's the big deal? Is it because of your love of the Russians and their history? Is it a quest to own all the bolt-action rifles from WW2 (Arisaka, Mauser, Springfield, and Mosin)? Is it fear and preparation, that bolt-action rifles will somehow be 'okay' after Obama takes all the other guns? Is it that they are cheap entertainment AND good killing machines? Fill me in.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

There ya go. That 7.62x54 is a beast.

3. genesaika

genesaika New Member

All of the above? I think most pick them up because they are inexpensive.

4. longunner

longunner New Member

If you shoot one, you will understand. I own 3. A bonus for me is that it's truly a center fire plinker. You can't beat 440 rounds for 90 bucks.

5. jebsca

jebsca New Member

They are a part of history. They have markings all over to tell you some of the history of each rifle. To me, it has been fun to colect them, and find out what each little make is for. Theyare also a lot of fun to shoot.

6. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Why would you not want one? They are purdy, and as has been said, they're a beast to shoot ....and cheap.

Fun to refininsh also.

[​IMG]

Jim

7. sergei100

sergei100 New Member

My bet is it wouldn't fail you when you need it most and they've been war tested. I've got both a 38 and 59 carbine and love them. Besides the ammo being cheap it and can punch through most things, the only draw back will be how long your shoulder can take it.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

I guess you either like them or you don't. I enjoy shooting an 83 year old commie rifle in a hay field in the USA. And yes, I eventually plan on owning most of the WWII rifles.

Not too many reasons I can think of not to own a particular gun. :D

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

M-N 91/30= $99
    1903 Springfield= $990

Any questions?

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

cheap deer hog guns. great plinkers. they just plain work.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

All of the above reasons plus one other big one:

As a child in the 50s we feared the Soviet menace. I remember Khrushchev pounding his shoe and screaming that the Soviets would bury us.... People were building fall-out shelters in anticipation of "The Bomb." Saturday morning cartoons had commercials telling what to do in the case of an attack. We had "duck and cover" drills at school.

All of that said, I think it is damn cool that I have a room full of their history. I wonder how many Garands are in the homes of Russian collectors?

My message to the grave of Khrushchev is "KISS MY ***) :)

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

you have a good point. its kinda funny we are turning their national heritage into toys sporting items plinkers and artwork lol

[​IMG]

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Cheap mostly and they are fun, that's a good combination if you ask me. although I can't hit crap with it pretty sure it's a combination of my eyes, the sights and my rifle's lack of accuracy.

14. indy36

indy36 New Member

I'm younger, which may be a factor, but I like guns like the AR and AK, I have both. I'd also like a FAL, Uzi, AUG, and HK MP-5. Those are my generation's Mausers and Mosins.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Recoil is not bad. My 13 year old can shoot a 91/30!!!
    What he said
    Him too!!

Jon, That is just wrong on so many levels...
    My oldest son is 22. He has 2 Mosin Nagants, an FR8, and a 1933 Swede M46 in 9.3x57, and I'm not sure what else. Not semi auto's or full auto's as you listed. He is young, but can see the importance of being able to hit a target at 400 yards that is hiding behind an 18" oak and nuetralizing it.

16. genesaika

genesaika New Member

I'm 23 and prefer bolt action rifles, the older ones are even better.

17. longunner

longunner New Member

I love me some bolt guns :) there's just something about working that bolt and hitting what you're aiming at. Much more satisfying than just throwing a mag in and dumping it. Not saying that's not fun too :p

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I saw my first Mosin, a Polish M44, near mint shape,

at a LGS, didn't think about it much. Looked at it again,

a few days later, at a great price, with some ammo,

I was thinking "Ennnh, I'll shoot a half dozen rounds

thru it, clean it up, throw it in the safe."

Took it to the range, 80+ rounds later, I was

hooked. It simply has a fun factor which you

have to experience to understand.

The whole "Russian History" thing is

secondary, after the really hard to

describe "insane fun" thing.

BTW, still one of my favorite rifles.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  19. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

One word - ammo.

Ammunition for the 7.62x54R chambered weapons is inexpensive and available.

The rifles are also inexpensive.

A 1903 that you can actually shoot is expensive, as is the ammunition.

If you want a sniping rifle or a target rifle or a hunting rifle, there's a Remington 700 variant available for that. However, it's gonna set you back a lot further than a Mosin Nagant.

I like the rifles and carbines for what they are, inexpensive, simple, durable weapons chambered for a powerful cartridge. They get the job done, plain and simple.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

not as pricey as you might think if your willing to do a bit of DIY.

anywhere from about 500-650$ depending on how much your willing to do yourself