"the lower 48"?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kaido, Jan 16, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

I know it seems silly to start a thread for such a silly question.
    But figured I might as well since the I'm a little confused and keep coming across the term. So if there's (I think?) 50 states, why are all but two classed as "the lower" ones?

Now before anyone gets all antsy and wants to have a bird over me not knowing why their called that, I'm not American in the slightest of way.

Just a curious Canadian. Also kind of curious as to how many guys are going to be coming to check this out thinking it has something interesting to do with those states.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Its also referred to as the continental US.

Its just a term denoting the US without hawaii and alaska. Shipping to those two usually costs quite a bit more than shipping to the lower 48, which leads to the term's regular use "free shipping anywhere in the lower 48".

3. kaido

kaido New Member

Ooooh okay. That actually makes a lot of sense.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The proper term you reference is the contiguous 48 meaning the connected states. When we in America refer to the lower 48 states we of course mean to include Canada as the upper 1. :D

5. kaido

kaido New Member

Well....all I would like from the lower states would be your gun laws, not including California's since their more messed then ours. as well as gun prices. Haha

6. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

It is "continental US". I rarely hear lower US. I think it is interesting that are 2 greatest treasures are AK and HI. The main issue as others have said is shipping and other business issues.

7. kaido

kaido New Member

I have a thought of what "AK" stands for, not to sure about "HI" though?

8. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Alaska and hawaii

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Continental US, contiguous US, lower 48, continental 48 are all referring to the same thing, and are all in common usage all over the US. I really don't think there is one term that is considered the "proper" or "correct" term.

10. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

www.50states.com/abbreviations.htm

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

11. kaido

kaido New Member

Hey man.....no need to stealthy call the Canadian a lose for not knowing the abbreviations for each of the states. Haha

12. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I meant it to be informative.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In Alaska, they use the "Lower 48". Hawaii- its Da Mainland.

14. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

The lower 48

Or as Pisslosi calls most of it....."Fly-over country."

15. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

...yes, but technically Alaska is the same continent. Continental US is used loosely. Hawaii is a part of North America politically, geographically it is not a part of any continent.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Alaska is a treasure as far a gunowners are concerned, but Hawaii is not very tolerant of gunowners with all the gun control and restrictions they have, as they are just about on the same level as California.

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Per SNL also known as "Dumbassistan".

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

As much as I want to be offended...I just can't. Its too fitting for the vast majority.

19. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

America

We Alaskans refer to the 48 as America, as in where did your new Dodge parts come from? Oh we had to order them all the way from America.

20. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Or: CONUS.