The love of .22's

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by northhike, Nov 29, 2012.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I was reading an article recently that said the biggest reason the .22 is still around is because the ammo is cheap and the guns that shoot them are inexpensive. While I am sure there is much truth to this the article did not mention its sentimental appeal. I would guess that even if the larger caliber ammo was reduced to the price of a .22lr we would still be shooting our .22's. Like most....my dad introduced me to this caliber. It was my first "real" gun and as such there are many fine memories attached to those days. Thats why I spend most of my time in this section of the forum and why I own several .22's. I cannot say the same for my larger caliber guns. The only other gun that may come close is the 1911 given that many of our grandfathers, fathers and maybe even us have carried them through wars. If all my guns were to dissapear today my .22 rifles would be most missed and it has nothing to do with cost.

2. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Just gotta love 22s. I mean they are just fun to shoot with. And yes i have my first shooting memories with a 22

3. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

love of .22's

Well stated,I have more 22's than any other caliber.:) Cliff

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Because it is inexpensive to get into, both the ammo and guns are inviting for new shooters. The low recoil, quieter report, lighter weight, and often smaller dimensions, just make even more reasons that it is good for kids and first time shooters.

And yes, people are sentimentalist. In the last few weeks, while Hostess has been going through threats of shut-down, people were actually worried about losing Twinkees for good. That was mostly sentimentalism, because those of us who remember taking luch to school in a lunch box and being pleasantly surprised to find a Twinkee or other Hostess cake in there, get attached to that type of "good feeling" on a snetimental level.

So, why not be nostalgic about your first gun and caliber that you learned to shoot with.

5. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Yep .22s kinda just feel like home. :)

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I shoot my Remington Model 582 once or twice a year. I've had it for 45 years will never let go of it. My son and grandson will own it next. In a few more years, that is.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Also it is a very accurate round

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

If regular ammo was as cheap as.22, I'd lock my .22's away for a long time. Ugh... Not that I don't like the .22, I've just had a lot of cool guns doing nothing for the past 4 years because ammo is too expensive.

9. northhike

northhike New Member

You know your response brings up an interesting thought. My guess is that you are probably younger than I am (I'm in my late 40's). If you take my generation and those previous the .22 was the gun most of us grew up with introduced to us by our fathers/dads. I don't believe its as prevelant in today's younger generations. AR15's and more tactical weapons were introduced to them through video games. Your sentimental journey is probably vastly different then mine. This of course begs the question...."will the .22's have the same sentimental appeal years from now with the younger generation?" My guess would be they will not. There will be a good number of us passing down the .22 tradition, but most of the generation behind us may see the black guns as their sentimental gun of choice. Just a perspective....

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I believe you are right on most of your sentiment. However, I am younger than you (32), so I didn't grow up on video games, especially games that emphasized modern rifles.
    My first rifle was a .22 as well. I'm a fan of recoil, and big bangs. Also very interested in long range shooting and do a lot of hunting. It's just that the ammo is too expensive to go out and blast away all day.
    I do agree with what you're saying though, and if I ever have kids, I'm going to start them on .22s as soon as possible.

11. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

northhike makes an interesting point about the youth of today and video games. When I was trying to determine how my grandchildren would react to gifts of new pistols for Christmas, I mentioned to the 18-year-old how much I enjoyed my 1911 and asked if he had a favorite handgun (knowing he had never fired anything but my .45). He thought for a moment and said that he liked the CZ 75B...in polished stainless yet! Later (after I controlled my almost-a-stroke) I asked him where he had heard of the CZ; "From 'Call of Duty' I think," he said. "Maybe 'Grand Theft Auto', I don't remember." Much different that when my Grandfather asked my scrawny seven-year-old butt if I wanted to learn to shoot on the Springfield .22 or the 12 gauge Wingmaster...then he kindly put the Springfield in my hands!
    And what is my oldest grandson getting for Christmas? A Rock Island Armory Compact 1911 in .45 ACP, what else?

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Wanna adopt me? :D

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

even if your take away the sentimental value many of us place on our 22's, the cheaper cost to shoot and many other factors, 22's are just plain fun to shoot! at almost being 50, yes there is some nostagia to shooting a 22, but for me, it's just plain fun to spend a weekend afternoon with my father shooting at targets with our 22 rifles and pistols.

14. Colby

Colby New Member

Ya gotta say, 22's are a whole lot more pleasant to shoot than most anything else. And if you can't hit the target with a 22 - a bigger caliber is surely not going to make you better.

Another vote for 22's.

15. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Im 22....and i love 22s...first gone i ever shot was a 12ga. Only two firearms i owned. (Long story) henry lever. I miss that thing :( ...but for the record im not a black rifle kinda guy and i even grew up in the suburbs. Id only take one if it was free. Idk...ithink its over rated. For the longest time i was on a lever action craze. Im kinda moving on to an interest in bolt actions. But im a lefty and manufacturers are picky lol. Sooo i might stay on the lever craze who knows ha!

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I do get a great deal of satisfaction out of shooing large caliber rifles and pistols. I would still have a need for a 22 LR. Sometimes I have to much fun and start flinching. There is nothing like a couple 50 round sessions with a 22 LR to cure one of flinching. I know I should take precautions but no one hunts with a padded vest. So I end up with a black and blue shoulder. Sometimes I ignore the pain and keep shooting until my right arm goes numb. Once you abuse your body like that you need a little TLC that the 22 LR provides.

The 22LR does a fine job of preparing shooters for long distance shots with a centerfire rifle. if you can hit a 25 foot airgun target with a 22LR at 75 yards you will have no problem downing that big buck at 300 yards with a 30/06.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  17. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My only rifle is a sears 25 that I use to watch my grandpa shoot small animals with. I wasn't much into guns but when he passed my grandma said he wanted me to have it. It sat in my closet for 15 years. Well one day my 8 year old said she wanted to learn how to shoot a gun at targets. So I dug it out cleaned it and now we have a blast with it. It brings back memories of my grandpa and I'm making memories with my daughter with it. But now I want a 22 hand gun lol.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

No sentimental ties. I just like shooting them and they are fairly inexpensive to shoot. My wife and I will go through a brick shooting at spinners offhand. She has really taken to her S&W M&P 15-22. She claimed it so it is her rifle. You younger guys will find that out sooner or later.

19. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Just love my .22s Good trainers a blast to shoot. i like to shot golfballs love to run them around the yard

20. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Can you get me one for Christmas too? I've been looking at getting a RIA.