The Last Gun You'd Ever Let Go

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by NOVA, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Every Day Carry

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Shotgun / Rifle for Hunting

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Shotgun for Home Defense

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Handgun for Home Defense

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Long Range Rifle

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Full Automatic, Machine Gun, Zombie Killer, etc.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Scenario: SHTF and now things have settled down a little bit. Money is no good. Barter system for almost everything you need, trading either goods or services. Having your own firearm is required in your secure community, but a law enforcement group is keeping things fairly safe. Food is getting scarce, but people with more food than they need are willing to trade for your firearms. You have a family with several mouths to feed. Your choice is to trade your firearms for food. What is the last gun you would let go of?

I'll start - It would be my Home Defense Handgun, a GP100.

NOTE! SOME FOLKS DON'T GO FOR THIS SCENARIO - PLEASE SEE POST #11 AND REPLY BASED ON THE REVISED SCENARIO?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I put other... I could never get rid of my Medusa! Theres times I still cant believe that I got one....

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

You know, I'm getting kinda sick and tired of you touting that in front of everyone's faces all the time! ;):p:D You lucky ducky. Just messing bud.

4. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

My dads tompson .45acp it's amazing to shoot but with it full auto and only having 100 round drums well it runs into money fast haha

5. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

I'll NEVER give up my 870... never...

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Im sorry... Im making up for not having a 1911, I feel the same way about them....

It saddens me whenever people post a pic of their 1911's...:(
    :cough: Cane :cough: ;):p

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

let's see. Trade family's possible security for a little food. Let's say the fam is starving. okay. I'll let go of something to feed the wife and kid.

Is the wild game gone? Post SHTF, if I've survived that long with the fam, I would be feeling pretty confident in LEAVING and going somewhere else.

What do the few families with surplus food need the guns for? Is this the barter economy form of disarmament?

In post SHTF, beans, bullets, and band aids are valuable. Riches are power. They have surplus food and now want surplus weaponnry? Sounds like they really want power, and all of it they can get.

No thanks. Of course I'd give something up to save their lives if I had to, but I'll be taking my chances somewhere else before it goes that far anyway. I won't be giving up any guns, I'll have been long gone chasing wild game before it gets that far.

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Dog or cat stew would do in a pinch. In a SHTF scenario, you can give up the idea of looking for a McDonald's or such.
    The concept of giving up my weaponry to feed the family? They may not be happy, but I can forage enough for everyone to eat. They may get sick of it, but there's food to be had.
    One just has to expand their mind and realize that the options exist.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I only have two guns and I won't be giving up either. One is for self defense and the other is a good caliber for small game. But in a SHTF scenario, I already told Bear I am running down to Kentucky to hide behind him. :eek:

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Sounds like a good weight loss program for me: "cheeseburger or SKS........SKS".

11. NOVA

NOVA New Member

OKAY, different scenario!

OK, never mind SHTF. Suppose you are broke, no job and all you have left is your guns and you and your family are starving. Someone offers to buy all your guns. Which one would you hold on to, to the very end?

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh I've been there before. If I have a job, and can get more guns, or more food and the money is still good, there's no gun that I own right now that I wouldn't be willing to let go of. I still have a Ka-Bar and a warrior spirit. I've sold all my guns in the past for groceries and gas, and I'm willing to do it again if I have too.

Medical emergencies, Layoffs, whatever. I've gotten better with my money so it doesn't just get spent till I run out. It's always something unforeseen.

Oh wait, you said no job. Still stands. I'd let them all go, not willingly and would try to hang onto a rifle and get some grub.

Now if I ever get my hands on my Papaw's old Colt, then it would be a different story.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I would have to get pretty hungry to sell my first .22 rifle; i have had it since Christmas of 1977. That said, hungry enough i would be selling lots of things before my firearms, the gunsafe for one.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I answered "other", because my favorite is my carry gun, but not my home-defence gun. I could never willingly part with my 1911.

Any of the others are negotiable.

15. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

all but my 870. it kills EVERYTHING! even elephants, well, maybe. but everything else is goin' down!

16. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Large problem with elephants in the bayous? ROFL.

I'd have to keep my Savage 270. Accurate and deadly.

17. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

A long range firearm will do better to get more food over the long term. I'll take the long range rifle.

18. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I'd keep my Springfield Armory 1911 (.45).

19. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

In a SHTF situation, I would say the last gun I would part with is a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Almost impossible to break, can kill pretty much any animal in N. America with either shot or slugs and will be a people stopper. Might have to get a little closer than if you had a long range rifle large enough to drop a moose but that gun will ruin alot of meat when if comes to squirrel/rabbit sized game.

Now if we're talking sentimental value, that would be a family heirloom Winchester 67 followed very closely by the Winchester 1897 12 gauge that my FIL gave me the day I married his daughter.

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This is just too easy...The one I have the most ammunition for!