The Journey Begins

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Millerlite, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

Due to all the great advice on these forums I have taken the first step. I just ordered a stag LPK from operationParts.com (they have 1 left in stock btw!). Now shopping a stag lower receiver. I also bought a punch set.

I'll try and document my AR newbie journey lol

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

As Yoda would say -"No try. Do!"

Good luck and let us know how it goes ;)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats excellent. nothing like putting your own rifle together and knocking out moa and sub moa groups with something you made. much better sense of accomplishment than buying one off the shelf.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! But remember, pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I can't wait to watch the progress!! Congrats!!

I really need to do this!!

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the club! The AR platform is not complicated, regardless of what you may have read. We have several members here who can help if you get in a bind, but I think it's intuitive enough that you can make your way thru.

Keep us updated with your progress!

JD

7. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

Ok so I'm wanting to get the lower at a local gun shop in San Antonio so 1. I can get building right away and 2. To save the $$ for transfer. Not to concerned over the transfer money but eh.

I looked today and ran across - mega arms lower receiver - anyone have any experience with them? I know any name brand reciever will be fine but is it worth the extra $$ for billeted vs forged?

Thanks

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Billet is the most expensive and the most technically superior.

There is nothing wrong with either a cast or forged receiver, but they do fail in comparison to a single piece billet.

Having said that, your lower is the LEAST accuracy-related product that you will buy. Lower A is going to do the same job that Lower D or Lower T will do. Hold the parts of your lower parts kit in close formation to function.

No reason to buy billet unless you want to do so, or unless you are trying to be king of the range. :rolleyes:

For your first gun, I would save that money spent on a billet lower and spend it instead on a better quality barrel or an upgraded trigger kit.

There are always optics. :)

JD

9. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Testify brother!! Took my last build out for a quick "Plow up the good old mother earth" cycle test with a 30 round mag full of 55 gr FMJs and WOW did it run like a top. Took the last 10 rounds, without ANY bore sighting, and the beast is on paper. 3" off zero and 1 MOA and rockin. I can't wait till I get the chance to actually zero it in. But it will hit center mass at 50 yards and do a hell of a number on it.

No Better feeling in the world, almost.....

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Um, yeah :D They are a very nice receiver for the money. Both Canebrake and I have them on our 458SOCOMs. But like JD said, for your very first build it is not necessary when you can get a very good forged lower from Spike's - Stripped Lowers : Spikes Tactical

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don't listen to that dog! MEGA all the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got mine from Rainier Arms, good parts source.

If you are going with a standard upper get the GTR-3S or the GTR-3H if you're going with the Mega Billet upper.

This is the one I used:

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Receivers - Lowers | Mega Billet Lower - GTR-3S

12. jhog

jhog New Member

You know MEGA also makes a forged upper and lower. Bought a set at the last gunshow for a good price!

13. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

Ok starting to get my supplies in. I now have a punch set and looking at mag blocks and the such. Still need:

Brass hammer
    Vise blocks

Do I need an AR wrench or is that for only building uppers?

Edit: Also looking at good cleaning kits any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

To build a lower you don't need a barrel wrench, brass hammer or magazine block. I rarely use punches either, vise grips will install roll pins. A stock wrench is handy to tighten the castle nut and a punch to stake it.

If you already have a cleaning kit for a .22 rifle, you're ok. Maybe pick up a chamber brush.

15. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

So I bought a stag LPK and it has shipped. I want to go with either of the following but haven't been successful finding stock

1. DD stripped lower and complete upper
    2. Noveske stripped lower and complete upper
    3. BCM stripped lower and complete upper

So my question anyone know good place to get?

Also Im kinda partial to magpul ctr stock or emod stock but not sure whether I go with H or H2 buffer

Also I'm torn between 16" or 14.5" barrel. Any insights?

Rifle uses - 1 hog hunting, target shooting

I want to use this rifle to get profienct before another build

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  16. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

Back on Track. I just picked up my upper reciever

BCM BFH 16" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC TRX 11" Handguard

Now all I need is the lower reciever and stock kit

17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

See answers above in blue

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Great choices ML! I have a CTR (which you mentioned earlier) and can highly recommend it. If you don't need the QD sling mount or extra friction clamp then the MOE looks almost the same and saves you $30+. Personally I'm glad I got the CTR as I ended up using the QD mount so the super tight fit was basically free.

Too bad it's hard to find a BCM lower now. I suppose their blemished deals are sold out too? Anyway, there are excellent lowers out there, you don't have to match BCM to BCM though it's nice. I'm partial to S&W if you happen to stumble across one - it will look good with BCM. Really, I think you'd be happy with any nice looking lower, even if the finish isn't a perfect match. Of course you can wait until your upper comes in then take it to local shops and find a lower in stock that matches real well.

ETA:
    Can you add the BCM receiver extension with their H buffer/spring and CTR to your order? Excellent choice with that upper and shipping shouldn't go up if they're in the same box as the upper. You may get a ballcap with the larger order too. An H2 buffer might be ok but I'd choose H instead since you have a midlength and I assume you ordered their M16 BCG? Oh, think about adding $25 to get the gunfighter charging handle over standard...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  19. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

I didn't order the M16 BCG :( My newbness coming out. I haven't ordered BCG yet or stock kit. I hope I didn't screw up lol. I do want the gunfighter charging handle and guess I'll go see if I can pick up a BCG now.

Crap I don't know what BCG to get..does auto mean only for select fire? Should I go with BCM BCG or another? Is the extra $$ for the "heat treated" varieties worth it?

Leaning toward EMOD stock..that a good choice?

What gunfighter would yall recommend? mod 3,4 or 5 (large, medium, small)

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah get the M16 BCG, it works just fine in a full auto or semiauto AR, just weighs 1/2 oz more but is the spec anyway. I'd get BCM since you're getting the BCM upper. I heard they were in stock earlier today so doublecheck. Add all this to your current order if you can to avoid extra shipping cost... I like the Gunfighter Model 4, the middle size. It was perfect for me.

No experience with the EMOD.

ETA:
    Just checked and the BCG is out of stock. You can get on BCM's email list for a heads up when the next batch come in. Oh well, you're not quite ready anyway... Oh, a Daniel Defense, LMT (M16, not AR-15 version) or Colt BCG would be as good as BCM, though I do like to use the same brand of BCG in the upper (though it shouldn't matter).

What do you mean by paying extra for heat treated? Just go with a quality milspec M16 BCG and you're GTG. They're HP and MPI tested, shot peened and correct steel and staking.