The importance of relationships

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tCan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

Now, once we strip ourselves away from our hardware (painful I know) we've all got a life outside of the firing line. I'm wondering about you other guys thoughts on the importance of relationships in those lives. I'll even let the married guys chime in, but post knowing you're corrupted :p

2. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

The only reason I'm collecting guns now is because my wife passed away five years ago. She hated them. I like them for the history and technology, and shooting well is a useful skill that comes with practice. But I'd give them away today if it'd bring her back.

That said, the lady I'm engaged to now accepts that I enjoy guns and shooting, and understands that I handle and store them responsibly. She's expressed interest in trying clay shooting, although target shooting doesn't interest her. She's from Canada and doesn't see gun ownership as a basic right like we do, but she also has a live-and-let-live attitude that makes her a lot more tolerant of my quirks. That's something I really need.

Dave

3. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats, Dave, on finding a woman that doesn't believe that guns are evil or a way for males to sublimate their shortcomings. I have never hidden my love of firearms or my belief that they are inherent to our freedom as Americans and therefore the "gun discussion" came up early in every dating situation. As a result, I have a wonderful wife that feels the exact same way I do about firearms.

Keep the faith, guys, they are out there! Dave and I found them.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife thinks I have too many guns but shoots. She has 3 guns of her own.

5. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

You bet. You hit the important part - you need to have that conversation early on. Lots of conversations. You won't see eye to eye on everything, but if you understand your core values and what you absolutely won't compromise on, you'll find you can be a lot more flexible than you might think.

But finding someone you don't have to be flexible with makes life a LOT easier! (grin)

Dave

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

My wife was an anti gunner of sorts when we met. Now she thinks otherwise.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What happened here? Did I accidentally log into the LOGO forum? Relationships and asking out by younger girls. WTF. Where have MEN gone?
    Rainbow colored sig line?
    Dear Abbey, Oprah and Dr. Phil wonder if they we join. Let's all go read some Nicholas Sparks.

8. tCan

tCan Active Member

I was waiting for this one! I actually asked the question because as far as I'm concerned, there are other things out there that are just as if not more deserving of the amount of effort it takes to maintain a relationship.

Maybe rainbow colors was a bad choice. I wanted to clearly separate them. Maybe I should do alternating instead huh?

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

My wife was raised as a gun hating liberal and is proof that you can change a liberal! She hated guns until she shot my SKS with a 30 round magazine and has been hooked ever since. Now she encourages me on new purchases :) and wants to work on getting her CCP. She even slept with a gun on the headboard when I was away on business.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Relationships eh?
    I am quite fond of my Mossberg 500, pump-action, 12 guage shotgun. I'm also quite fond of setting my own budget and schedule; in other words, i am happily single. One day, i may meet the woman of my dreams and fall under the spell of her charms; i just hope i have the sense to tip that hooker and RUNNNN.

11. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You don't pay her to stay, You pay her to leave.;)

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife is a great woman. She is pro gun. She has her ccw. She was just going to carry when I was out of town. She got used to it and now carries all the time...just like me. She does not shoot as often as I do. But, she does join me at the range once a month or so. She shot my .357 yesterday. We were shooting at a gallon mik jug at 110 yards. No kidding. We actually hit it 7 times. We shot 100 rounds.

13. tCan

tCan Active Member

:p You guys are all clearly inseparable from your firearms. Tell me I'm lying.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

lrt mn ptu thsi pitsol dnwo nda icam tyoe beffer.
    ;)

Sometimes you just buy them a bottle so they won't remember what you looked like when the cops show up.
    :)

15. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I had a wife once, now I have a dog.
    Had to hide the guns from the wife when going shooting, she wanted me home!

Have to hide the guns from the dog, cause he's not allowed at the range :(, but he would very much like to go.

Life is so confusing :confused:

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I also had a wife once and she's dead now. Some say I'm lucky as I was divoreced from her when she died. Died from drugs and alochol, thats why I divorced her.
    Didn't keep her from trying to get more $$$$$ from me after the fact and she left me one f***ed up daughter but I wouldn't wish on anyone the year she was sick and what she went through the year before the cancer took her.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  17. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Need to say that I date women from since before the ex wife got sick in 1994 with cancer and still do but not as much. The age thing has got me a little bit. But mostly I don't want the hassle of a gone bad long term relationship. Long term relationships gone bad do suck.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

You can rent guns and you can rent women. One can land ya in jail if you rent the wrong one.

My test was showing her the desert eagle 50AE. Usually didnt get a first date. The last one i showed it to took it and we been married for 14 years. Lost a gun gained a wife.

Well the de is still in the gun cabinet just belongs to her now.

19. CGO

CGO New Member

When I met my husband while living in CA, we used to go on target shooting dates at the range. I knew he had lots of weapons and didn't care. When we moved to OK he bought me my first rifle and pistol. Now that he's a gunsmith we just step outside into the backyard to do some shooting at our range.

He enjoys what he does and that makes me happy.