The historical ignorance of our youth

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by robocop10mm, Aug 16, 2012.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

One of my officers submitted a report on a PTSD inflicted Vietnam Vet who had just been released from "Andy Murphy Hospital" in San Antonio.

I inquired if she had ever heard of Audie Murphy. She had no idea who he was. Just the most decorated soldier from WWII, Hello! Nope, never heard of him. Never heard of Alvin York. Never heard of the movies Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein. Oh the humanity! How do we expect to survive as a people if our historical perspective is 20 years?

2. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Kids never get a chance for anything to soak in, homework is googled, they just write down someone elses answer. History is just history nowadays.

Badshot

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you truly want to see your children educated, DO NOT rely on someone else to do it. The Anarchist-in-Training not only KNOWS about the Battle of the Crater, but has walked the battleground with me.

We were discussing history over a cheeseburger the other evening, when she surprised me with an observation- "By the time I was 10, I figured out that most of the history we were being taught was crap, so I figured I better go do some reading on my own."

:) There IS hope!

However, I am a supervisor over on WikiAnswers (hobby). One of the questions that popped up there- "Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?". Oh my Lord. Where to begin?

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

We may survive, but with such a short historical perspective we will continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over and over again :(

btw - you should have told her it was the "Andy Rooney Hospital" ... might have gotten a few laughs on her expense :p

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

can we start a write in campaign for her? :D

I cannot tell a lie ..... I LOL'ed :D ..... but man, that is all kinds of stewpid :eek: Kudos to you c3 i could never do that job, I would either rip stupid folks a new one or I would feed them total BS in the hopes they would submit the information in school :p

Question - Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?
    Answer - Yes, Washington was alive when the Nazis nuked Pearl Harbor. Actually, since the US had lost the war in Europe it was decided that Washington would be dug up from his grave and sent over to the Russians, where they would reanimate his corpse and provide him with new internal organs harvested from wolves. This proved pivotal as he was able to bomb the Japanese with Moon rocks from orbit, thus winning us the war.

:p

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I think kids have too much for the human brain to process. Yeah people we're historically and politically smart back in the day, but the only real leisure activity was to read. Granted, it's too bad that most of these kids brains are occupied with trivial distractions, but they're the ones I run to for computer help....

7. Applin88

Applin88 New Member

Ain't audie the most decorated soldier ever not just wwII

8. 1911love

1911love New Member

If I remember right, his MOH is for taking life, not saving life. Those are rare. I think he earned two, but I might be wrong.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I cant help but try to educate folks that are obviously lacking in truthful education. Its even tougher when you work at a University like I do! Ive found PHD's can be some of the biggest re-creationists and a real challenge to edumacate without pissing them off!

My Daughters and Grand-kids have been known to complain about my "Lectures". They know that any subject could spawn one and if they dont know "the rest of the story" when we start, they will when Im finished.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A link to Audie Murphy. He rec'd one Medal of Honor, and numerous other medals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

I never met him- but did have the privilege of being one of the LEOs that were the temporary Honor Guard when his body was in the Medical Examiner's office- Jun 1971. When the ME was finished, we handed off the duty to the US Army for his burial at Arlington.

11. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

My children are in K12 a public school program where they do classwork at home on the computer. I allows me a certain control of their education. In public schools here in TN it seems Middle school is all about the standardized test. Class work is tailored to these tests because the money the schools receive is tailored to how well they do on the tests. Unfortunately the students actually learning anything has gotten lost in this process.

12. Applin88

Applin88 New Member

Man what a honor that was I've read about him and saw several of his films of course the best was to hell and back but he just seemed like a realty good person from what I've read bout him growing up taking care of his mom and siblings

13. Applin88

Applin88 New Member

I'm a big jimmy stewart fan but I think audie done the movie destry better justice it maybe because I saw audie's version first idk

14. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

There is a new generation that has never heard of the Beatles, nor have they heard of Martin Luther King (believe it or not)!

15. Applin88

Applin88 New Member

They need to know our country's heroes before MLK and the Beatles

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
  16. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Our (at the time) 6 year old asked my wife if I (Daddy) was old enough to have ever met President Hammerhan Lincoln.

Some of the things that come out of that boys mouth we'll never understand.

17. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

My grandma said she knew the next generation was in trouble when they stopped teaching phonics in school

18. Applin88

Applin88 New Member

That's pretty good

19. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I teach math. I make my kids analyze everything. I will solve problems incorrectly and then make them look at the process to figure out what went wrong and have them tell me how to fix it. I work their butts off and never allow them to not answer questions when I call on them. We have lovely standardized tests too but IMO if the material is taught properly the kids will pass the test. I try not to let my kids stress out about it. I always what them to know how to solve a problem, why it needs to be solved, and what other areas of life the skill can be applied to. My best compliment frim students is always "Why do you make us think so much?". Haha

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I don't know know why but I always loved reading about history. It seemed like I couldn't get enough when I was in school so I spent some of my free time just browsing topics in the library. The last 2yrs of HS I had a least 2 study hall classes each semester (senior year I had 4 in the 2nd half :D), so what does one do when you have that much free time ... when i was wasn't chasing the girls or napping in the nurses office or training for a sport I was reading, usually history or science material.

Seriously though, what is so damn interesting about reality tv today that folks refuse to pick up a book and read? :(