The high cost of a beer

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jo da Plumbr, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

[​IMG]

Beer-Drinking Muslim Model, Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, Sentenced To Public Flogging In Malaysia

Beer-Drinking Muslim Model, Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, Sentenced To Public Flogging In Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — An Islamic court in Malaysia has sentenced a Muslim woman to be flogged with a rattan cane for having a beer in a nightclub, a court official said Tuesday.

It is rare for a woman in Malaysia to be sentenced to caning – a punishment usually reserved for men in various crimes ranging from rape to bribery.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was sentenced Monday to six lashes and a fine of 5,000 ringgit ($1,400) for consuming alcohol, said a Shariah High Court official who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to make public statements.

Shukarno, a 32-year-old model, pleaded guilty in the court in eastern Pahang state to a charge of drinking beer when Islamic authorities raided a hotel nightclub in August 2008.

Consuming alcohol is a religious offense in Malaysia only for Muslims, who make up nearly two-thirds of the population. Offenders are prosecuted in Shariah courts, which handle cases mainly related to family and moral issues for Muslims.

Most offenders are fined, but the law also provides for a three-year prison term and caning. Shukarno was the only Muslim caught in the raid at the Pahang nightclub.

Malaysian clubs and lounges typically serve alcohol but are not legally required to check if customers are Muslim before serving them, so the hotel nightclub operators were not charged with any offense.

Shukarno plans to appeal the sentence, the New Straits Times daily reported.

The punishment "is aimed at making the accused repent and serves as a lesson to Muslims," the newspaper quoted Judge Abdul Rahman Yunus as saying.

The judge did not elaborate on why he imposed a relatively severe sentence, but local media noted that he had a history of being tough on alcohol offenders.

Rattan canes used in the punishment are made from palm plants common in tropical parts of Asia. They have been used for decades for corporal punishments in countries such as Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.

The caning sentence is generally carried out by specially trained officials at prisons.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I think that is a little extreme punishment for one beer and it being a woman, IMO. If the caning is carried out, afterward, the first damn thing I would ask for if I was her, would be another beer! :eek:

Jack

3. suprdave

suprdave New Member

This is Obama's dream...

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

These ghey avatars are freaking me out. I need a beer!

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The reason this story bothered me enough to post it is the BS I always hear about the Muslim religion being so loving and tolerant.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Yeah, I get sick of hearing how it's a peaceful religion too. BS!

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ah Yes, the religion of peace and love with another fine humanitarium moment.

A public caning of 6 lashes AND fined $1,400 for drinking a beer.:eek:

What about that doesn't scream hope and joy?? :rolleyes:

Being a Muslim for the LOSS!!!!

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Only for today Jack, it creeps me out...

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Backward thinking people with a belief convoluted by people whose sole enterprise is to control by fear and intimidation.

The Crusades ended too soon!

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

If we pool our resources, we can open a lesbian beer and bacon bar in Baghdad, and call it "Crusaders".;)

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Better plan on a flat roof with a wide view of the city. :cool:

Somehow I don't think the locals would be very forgiving. :eek:

12. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I might could get on board for public caning for bribery especially politicians. Do you think we could get enough canes to go around?

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Okay, now that is an excellent point. +1 for the newer guy.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Worked with a lady whose dad got caught with a pint of liquor, because some rat snitched him out. In Iran, they must be short on canes; they used a steel cable on him (70+ man).

Worship whatever/whomever you want, just keep it out of the government please. I'll just be over here praying to my water bottle.

15. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Do not forget the concert barriers and additional security!

I am in need for a nice taste cold 45 degrees Samual Adams Oktoberfest beer; but, PT evaluation. Getting the third degree from the wife - man she is rough!