The Handgun For Me: Your Personal Light of The Gods Moment

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Dillinger, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Everyone has one handgun that is their pride and joy.

Maybe you inherited it.

Maybe it was the first handgun you bought for yourself.

It's the one that you will never sell and the one that will always have a special place in your heart.

So what is it and when did you know it was the one for you?

What was the epiphany that led you to this Noble Piece?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

How can you love one of your children more than another? Aren't all our guns as precious as our own little ones? We need to love and care for all the guns in our possession. It would be mean, and downright evil to let them know we prefer one of them over another. Guns are people too! They have feelings just like the rest of us.

But...

My first handgun purchase was for self defense needs. I went looking for a .357 Taurus, but the shop owner told me about a Model 19 S&W he had in the back of the display case. It was a police, well security guard, turn in, very little wear. It presented itself nicely, all business, and anyone unfortunate to be on the business end would know it was indeed all business. It's a premier weapon in our household. But I don't use it myself.

Once I had the basic need out of the way, I knew I had to have some type of semi-auto. I looked online and read many websites and many weblogs to find one that would fit my budget and power needs. I came across a story about the affordable eastern bloc standard Makarov. Eventually I found one at a local gunshow, priced at $210. It almost looks like a Walther PPK. Had to have it for that reason. Ammo isn't really hard to acquire, so I bought it. I had every intention to make it my go to sidearm. There are still a few FTFs, but as I had changed springs and the firing pin, I think it's the ammo. If the need arises, my Bulgy Mak is in the closet with two loaded mags.

As I got further into learning about different guns, I knew eventually I would need a smaller gun for the smaller hands about the house. I wanted a .45, but knew those were out of my range. Then I found a story about the Colt Hammerless 1903. It looked a little like a 1911. I wanted to find one to see how it felt. Well, it felt almost perfect, but the thought of the ineffective and useless .32ACP made me unsure. It looked good and was only $400. I found out the one I was looking at was manufactured the same year as my mom, so I just had to buy it....

All the guns fill a need, all the guns have their good points, all the guns are classics. Any and all of them would be fine sidearms. Though they say large calibers are better in all situations, I can't help but find my Colt in my holster when I go out in the desert, and I feel I'd go for the Colt in the dead of night if I needed a gun. I can't explain it, but that's the way it is.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Interesting premise but I suspect I'm different than most folks. I change my gun inventory more often than I change the oil in my truck. Trading guns can become something of an addiction and is certainly habit forming. I can say that the gun I have currently had the longest (about 4 years) is a 3 inch S&W 686+ 7 shot .357 revolver. It's just such a versatile gun for so many reasons that I've never been tempted to part with it. It even has night sights (yeah, I know JD).

As far as an epiphany, that happened for me, big time, the first time I shot a decent 1911. While I've changed up in the ones I own - I will always have at least a couple of them on hand...

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ithaca M1911A1 hands down.

My Dad's M1911A1 Ithaca that went from Normandy 1944 to Dachau 1945;

[​IMG]

Thanks Dad. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

* Bows before the offered idol *

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My XD45. It was the first pistol I ever owned personally and as soon as I wrapped my hand around it I knew it was the one. It served me well for a number of years as a bedside gun, truck gun and a carry piece. I haven't shot it for a while but after putting thousands of rounds thru it without a single problem I would still trust my life to it. It may deserve a range trip in the near future.

I think cane's is going to be tought to beat.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a Holy Grail of a gun 'Cane.

My keeper is my old Sistema 1911. My first 1911 was an SA MilSpec that I had Springfield Custom work over and then sent to Novak's for sights.

Then I found a NIB Les Baer in the back of the safe at the shop and laid it away until I could bail it out. It was the tightest 1911 of any I've had before or after. Nice pistol, but I don't care for front slide serrations. (strictly from an aesthetic standpoint)

My next 1911 was a Dan Wesson CBOB and I still miss it. It may have been the perfect pistol for me. Unfortunately, it had to go due to finances.

My next 1911 was a RIA tactical model that unfortunately was a huge lemon. :( I got rid of it fast.

So, I was left without a 1911 and I felt naked and forlorn, so...

There were several thrashed Sistema's gathering dust in a corner of the vault, so I dug through and picked the best one there. The plan from the beginning was to customize it to my liking. After six months at the gunsmith's, it's everything I want in a 1911 and not one thing more or superfluous, at least for me.

I just CeramaCoated it because the 'smith raped me for a shoddy blue job. However, he does know how to build a 1911 and this one is outstanding mechanically.

It consistently shoots one ragged hole at any time as long as I do my part. It is the most natural feeling and pointing pistol I've ever owned. (even of the 1911's)

I just added Chip McCormick slim DD rosewood grips and like the slim feel and the look of them.

As soon as the plunger spring arrives from Brownell's, I'll reassemble it and post pics in it's project thread.

Very wordy, I know, but I love that old pistol. It fits me like a glove, is dependable and accurate and it's almost as old as me. ;)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  8. ajb

ajb New Member

Mine would be a S & W Model 19 that my wife bought me for Christmas about 25 years ago.

I rarely shoot it anymore, but it's not for sale. The 1911 has taken over.:D

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My 4" 657 Smith. Duty gun for many years. I will never part with that one, it accompanied me on too many butt puckering, terrifying forays into the night.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The Ruger Single Six my Dad gave me.

Because my Dad gave it to me. :eek:

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

S&W model 29 .44 magnum with a 6.5 inch barrel. It was 1967, four years before Clint as Dirty Harry made the S&W Model 29 .44 magnum, "The most powerful handgun in the world." :cool:

It was originally given to my father as a gift and I always wanted to shoot it, more so than he. I eventually ended up with it in 1975. :)

Jack

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Great stories here. While my Dad never handed me down any, I will certainly pass on some special ones to my kids...

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Here, I'll up the ante.

[​IMG]

The Ithaca on the left was used to eliminate the need of the German officer to keep his Luger P08. Said action occured somewhere in the Herken forest January 1945.

I retired Dad's Ithaca a few years back. We (the family) would go to a range on Thanksgiving Day for a shoot in memory of Dad.

When one of my sons asked, "Will continued shooting reduce the value of Grand Dad's gun?" it hit me like a ton of bricks!

This wasn't my gun, I was only responsible for it while in my stewardship and it will continue in it's progress of stewardship by being handed down to the grand kids!

My retirement of the Ithaca (and the Luger) is due to it's provenance.

14. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Well.. the first pistol I ever bought was my S&W Sigma 40VE.
    I really liked it, But when a friend of mine offered me a Springfield Loaded 1911 for it, Siggy had to go.

That was my second 1911.
    My first, which is the pride and joy of my humble collection so far, is my GI Springfield.
    While it isn't old and doesn't have the awesome history of Cane's 1911's, it was my very first.
    I bought it at the store I work at, shortly after I started working there.
    I knew I wanted a 1911, and we had this Para Ordnance "Gun Rights" edition that I had thought about, but I didn't like the light alloy frame.
    I saw the Springer and fell in love. With it's standard grip safety and arched hammer spring housing, it was like sex in my hand. So I put her on layaway and a few weeks later, she was mine:D

15. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Mine has to be my Smith & Wesson 625. Of all my guns this one has a special place in my heart as it is the first gun Linda gave me. I have many guns that I will never sell or give away but the 625 is “my” gun and every time I pick her up she feels natural in my hand.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well, I could have told ya that!

Is that a Gila Monster in your avatar photo?

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Cane....how do I get into your will?

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have three that could never leave me. One a really old Triumph single shot 12 ga. that was my Fathers. Another is a Winchester Mod 94 30 30 that my wife's Grandfather gave me. And my first 1911 Springfield. The Springer was the first 1911 I bought all on my own (It was actually all made here in the US). None of these do I shoot often. But they all have a special place where I can look at them and remember how they got to me. I got one of those Wood boxes for the Springer. She looks really nice with the set of hand made elk grips in that box.:)

19. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

All of the guns my father owns are special to me, because they are his and will eventually on some unfortunate day (that I hope wont be for another 70 or so year from now) will come into my possesion. But "MY" gun is my Duo-Tone Taurus 1911. I've customized it and will continue to customize it until I get it perfect for that gun. The brushed chrome sides of the slide caught my eye in Academy one day and I asked to look at it and the gun practically spoke to me. It did everything I ever wanted a gun to do. I have a Glock 30 in the same caliber so I can abuse it as much as I need/want to so I wont ruin my 1911. I'm sure I'll own more 1911s but this one wont be sold for anything less than more anyone can offer. :D

20. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Nope,

That's what is called a "Dub-Dub" from over in the sandbox. The tail is like one of those Chinese jewelry pieces that is segmented armor bone. That lizard lives in small trees and eats birds. They have another one that is about 4 feet long called a "Dub-Zilla" that eats "Dub-Dub's". It looks just like a "Dub-Dub" except it has a red stripe down its back. I caught that one on patrol and tied a little 550 cord around it's neck and kept it with me all day on patrol, then released it at the end of shift. I don't think he liked being in the US Air Force very much. :D