The Gun that Replaced the 1911 - VIDEO

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Amsdorf, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

I enjoyed pulling together this video providing a fairly thorough overview of the history, feature, functions and, yes, controversy surrounding the Beretta 92 platform. It features accuracy demonstrations and shooting demonstrations. Hope you like it. Let me know what you think and please chime in here or on the channel with any stories of your personal experiences with the Beretta 92, or as it is known in the military, the M9. As always, I welcome your constructive criticism.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4uSmfDtCFU[/ame]

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Amsdorf,

I realy appreciated the video on the Beretta Pistols. Many years ago when the 92-F came out the agency went to the pistol. We went through several phases over a period of years with the design. The Metro Agency started with the 92-F 9mm then we went to the 92-FS Stainless 9mm
    then to the 96-F 40 Cal. with NP-3 Finish. I also went to Accokeek Maryland in the initial stages to Armorer School and had the pleasure of being taught by the gentleman that actualy designed the 92-F/M-9 Beretta Pistol for the US Government. Although definitely a fan of the 1911 myself and own several of them., the 90 Series Beretta's had some advantages. I will preempt this by saying I am not a fan of the 9mm caliber. However was more than impressed with the pistol in the 40 S&W Caliber! They are a very dependable and durable pistol in the original design. I am not a fan of all the changes that were made to the pistol in the recent years going to a lot of polymer parts. I do like the Picatinny Light Rail for a light on the Frame. However would I buy one of the new ones even in 40 caliber? Probably not! Are they still a fairly good pistol probably so! But I am skeptical when companies start changing a weapon due to cutting costs as stated in the presentation! I equate those comments to "Cutting Quality! But thanks again for the presentation I realy liked and enjoyed it and look forward to others! :)

3. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

I really wonder when/if the military will be allowed to use JHP in their sidearms.

4. Sniper03

Amsdorf,

Probably never! As I understand it, it is against the Geneva Convention agreement!

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It seems like we are approaching some compromise. The Hague Accords simply state that bullets cannot be soft/open pointed of a design to expand or cause undue suffering.

The US has already been allowed to field Mk262 and M262 mod 1 rounds which feature a 77gr. hollow pointed bullet by Sierra in the M16 family of rifles. Because the bullet has an open tip as part of the design only as a means of increasing accuracy and not specifically designed for expansion, it is allowed. A newer bullet has also been introduced that is lead free and it has disp;ayeddome performance issues in accuracy. This has propmted the USMC to seek a better bullet for their use.

If the precident gets set, then I could see it carry on to the rounds used in sidearms.

An Italian Beretta 92FS was one of the first handguns I bought. It has been 100% reliable, extremely accurate and pleasant to shoot. I'm not a fan of FMJ handgun rounds in any caliber, and am happy that in recent conflicts they let Corpsmen and Medics carry rifles. I have great faith in the Beretta and even 9mm, but not in the ammo they mandate for use in them.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Your thinking of the Hague convention of 1899.

It kind of does leave the door open to using non-compliant bullets against terrorists & other "non-contracting powers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_%281899_and_1907%29

The Geneva Conventions concerned themselves more with defining and clarifying the status of people involved. POW's, Civilians, Combatant vs. non-Combatant & so forth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions

7. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

In war you have no reason for JHP since you aren't really worried about harming innocent bystanders. And the Beretta, yes a good gun, is soon to be replaced. The military has set standards for a new pistol that include high capacity and the weapon must be chambered in .45 acp. A few of the guns in the running are the sig 226, Glock 20, and the H&K usp.

8. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

You mean Glock 21? Glock 20 is 10mm.

9. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Yes, he meant Glock 21, I'm sure.

10. Sniper03

The new weapons review results will be interesting. Anyone got an idea of where the progress on the selection process is at this time.

11. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Yes sorry I did mean 21, easy to mix up the number on Glock. In my own opinion they shouldn't have come away from the 1911. Its still being used by a lot of special forces and such so it shows it reliability in combat, more so than the m9. All my ex military buddies say they preferred the 1911 to the m9.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Even with a .45 I'd prefer jhp bullets over fmj. All handgun rounds are marginal at best and the .45 in fmj is no magic pill. It sucks as bad as any other handgun round when bad people are trying to kill you and the guys around you. The Kbps don't just prevent over penetration they are also more effective in creating a larger permanent crush cavity and larger wound channel to increase blood loss no matter what caliber you use. If I have to pack ammo I can pack more 9mm rounds and I can get faster follow ups with a 9mm in less weight.

Don't get me wrong I like the .45 and a big fat slow fmj may be better than a light fast and smaller fmj but both would be better as hollow points at stopping someone.