The Greatest Gun Shop Ever

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TWMIM, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

There are two that I normally deal with in my area.

One is pretty big, maybe too big. Every time I buy a gun there, it's a 45 minute to an hour ordeal. Often, the attitude I've gotten is that they're doing me a favor by selling to me.

The other is a mom and pops, and they gouge me on everything. They make up fantastic lies. I've learned from them 2 years ago that ammo is no longer made, that the lead has been shipped to China to build electric power plants.

Then I found this guy:

http://www.pfrognersfirearms.com/index.html

Great selection, great prices, the owner is a vet and the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

Show love to your local shop here....

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

River Bend Arms best shop EVER! The selection sucks, but the owner is a vet and is the $hit! :D

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Van Raymond's gunshop in Maine. Very knowledgeable, reasonable prices, they put my sling swivel on for free even though I didn't buy it from them.

4. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Been going here for over 40 years. Bit too far for you guys though. :D

5. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

If the prices are good, I'll make the drive.;):D

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I don't think the Queen would approve of you..lol

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One of my LGSs. Bob (RIP) was not only an actual veteran, but was "Marse Robert" for the re-enactors, for Gettysburg film, and every Robert E. Lee's Birthday at the VA State Capitol.

bob moates.jpg

http://bobmoatesgunshop.biz/index.htm

Crowded, dumpy little building- anything from a brand new handgun to a 3 band Enfield musket. Good folks that work there, decent prices, very good selection- and they are one of the shops that pissed off Bloomberg (yeah, they were named in the lawsuit)

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

^ I'll vouch for that. :D

There are not really any good shops around here. Most of them are pawn shops, and they have the "hurry up and buy something so I can get rid of you" attitude. The other one I have been to wanted to way overcharge me for a SKS (wanted about $500-$700). I have a dedicated guy for transfers (he doesn't sell guns to my knowledge, he just does transfers) so I usually but whatever I want online.

There are a few shops I haven't been to yet, so I may find a good one around here.

9. Control

Control New Member

There was a gunshop in CT run by a grumpy old guy. It was in a shed and small crowded after work.

I was jammed in there with others near the counter and Charlie could not get through the crowd to put a rifle on the rack behind me so he handed it to me and told me to put it there.

It was a trap door Springfield with the rod bayonet, all complete. The price was $25.

I handed it back to him and said "I'll take it."

He had a Savage 99F Featherweight with nice wood in the back for $67.

I still have it. That was back in the 60's.

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

How does doubling your money sound :D

11. billt

billt New Member

I wonder why they won't accept any transfers from Bud's??

12. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

Not sure. I'll ask next time I'm in.

The owner was absolutely cool as hell.

I hate shopping, I tend to know what I want, I go in, and make a transaction. The larger store is full of customers who want to handle everything and leave empty handed. Meanwhile, I'm stuck waiting, and about half of the time, I get attitude when I'm making a several hundred dollar purchase.

Pfrogner's was a breath of fresh air. I really can't say enough nice things about the place.

If you're in SW Pa, look him up.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Well there is this place in town with all these old guns.... But Im not tellin' nodody !!! :p

14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

there really aren't any great gun shops around here, they all have the pluses & minuses but nothin to write home about.

one of the small local owned stores is hit or miss, i think i'm safe in saying i've had just as many bad experiences as good there. some of their used guns are way overpriced, i've seen 91/30's in fair condition for $175 & they've had a Nagant revolver for over a year listed at $259! a couple of the employees are just down right a-holes to anyone under 40 & will ALWAYS try to sell you a more expensive version of what you want (ie: "that rossi is junk, you need this smith & wesson"). however the other employees are super friendly & will let you look at & handle pretty much anything.

my local Scheels sporting goods is probably the best out of what we've got: huge selection, decent prices, & helpful staff