The Great Safe Queen Debate

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

State if you're for or against, and your reasoning.

Personally, I had a safe queen knife. Screamed at the wife, she wanted to actually CUT something with it.

First time I took it out and did cut something, chipped it immediately.

Precious few safe queens now.

Share.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I shoot everything I own.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Right now I shoot everything. In the future I will have guns that will not be shot or they will be shot very little.

I like safe queens. Guys keep them for ever then they sell them and make good deals on them.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I'm the guy that would just love to go deer hunting in the brush during a rainstorm with someones NIB pre-64 winchester, or take someones mint 67 mustang with the original tires and sticker in the window to the drag strip (or the mud bog:D)
    If its a valuable piece of history then it belongs in a museum, but if I ever get my hands on it I'm using it the way it was intended [​IMG]

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm with the use crowd. I gotta know if it works, if the price was warranted.

I understand a collectors piece, but I'm not a museum. I gotta know the piece was worth having.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Everyone has a collection. I have guns, but for strictly utilitarian uses so far. I collect other things.

But for me, guns are for shooting.

7. freefall

freefall New Member

I have some guns I rarely shoot. I bought them to shoot but find I generally grab something else. I suppose I should get a table at a gun show and offload a few.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

All of my guns are shooters and all of my knives get used. I take good care of my stuff and some of my things still look new, but they're going to work for me. If I want to just look at something, we have some very nice art to contemplate.

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I don't enjoy things that I don't use. I've got friends who are proper knife collectors and keep them pristine in their boxes and only keep a few that they actually use. That's the way they enjoy their knives, to each their own.

I'm the same way with my guns, I shoot them all and I won't buy a gun that I can't shoot to my heart's content.

I do understand hardcore collectors that keep their knives and guns NIB. One of them once explained that he feels a bit like a curator, his collection is something he builds because he feels these items need to be preserved for people in the future to enjoy. they work quite hard, research a lot, document all their pieces, etc. I've learned a lot about knives from these folks and while they haven't convinced me to stop beating the crap out of my expensive one of a kind customs I do respect them.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have a gi I don't wear anymore. I only wore it once and didn't like it. It's made for someone as skinny as I used to be. :D

I was planning on putting it in the white elephant giveaway?

Do you want it BB? It's blue and has our school logo on the back. :cool:

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I shoot and use every piece of weaponry I own. I am not a firearm collector. Everyone of mine has a use, some more than others, but they all get used regularly and every caliber I have has at least one backup firearm of that same caliber, rifle or handgun.

12. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I've seen your pictures. If it doesn't fit you, it surely won't fit me.:eek:

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Okie dokie.

BTW, I've never had a gun I didn't shoot on a regular basis. I do have a couple of knives that haven't seen much use though.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I bought my S&W 29-2 as an investment and fully intended to 'safe' it. That was until I decided to just run a cylinder or two of factory loads, oops, too much fun and sacrilegious to hide such a work of engineering and art behind that fire resistance door! I count my return on investment in fun and smiles for now.

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The only "safe queens" I have are those that don't get to the range as much as the others.
    Lately, it seems like all of them.
    The only ones I don't shoot, are those with a price tag to move.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

All of my guns get shot. Some get shot more then others but they all get used. I believe in using a machine for what it was built to do. I don't abuse them, in fact I'm rather anal about them but they do get used. If you've got one that is super rare, I understand not shooting it but I don't own any. I look at them like collector cars. I have a 67 Mustang Fastback that really isn't that rare so I'm building it the way I want to. Now if it was a 68 Convertible with a 428 CJ, it would all original and see almost no road time(they made 16).