The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I managed to sneak in some tobacco processing yesterday . My rust blueing cabinet now has another use ..... steaming to process the tobacco . Way faster than what I have been doing with a mist . Now maybe I can catch up with the process . Wish I had done this during the winter when I had more time . Now it's just when I have rain days . Lately there has been a lot of those . wetting.JPG cutting.JPG

2. OLD Ron

Rain days don't end here lately . Did some work on the car .... got rained on ..... fixed a lift pump for the big truck & it rains every time I think about putting it on .... so trying new blends of tobacco is about all I can do . ( could clean & sort or look at that double barrel again ) sweet tobacco.JPG

Caveman Jim and EclecticShooter like this.

3. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

4. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

What a beauty! That's in excellent shape.

EclecticShooter likes this.
  5. OLD Ron

Thanks Sgw
    That is one that I want to do a really good job on . I do want them all done well but some I really want to be good . On the list is 3 97s C D E .... Winchester 73 44-40 ..... 3 Remington 700 builds . If I learn enough from you guys here they should be nice .

SGWGunsmith and EclecticShooter like this.
  6. SGWGunsmith

A bunch of very nice guns on your list.

7. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

I hope you'll be posting pictures of the '73 Winchester when you get to it.

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. OLD Ron

Kind of a boring story but the gunsmith estate had gun parts . So I bought everything there . The guns were all apart ..... completely apart . Then the parts were mixed up with other things all over the 8 rooms of things . As I sorted the boxes & tubs I pulled out gun parts & put them in separate tubs . In 3 years I have managed to get around 18 guns almost complete . The 700 s are all brand new parts . The older guns really are the easiest to work on ..... well those 73 s with around 93 parts each was a bit of a pain . If I get 3 a year done I feel good .
    I plan to & have posted pictures of every gun I get done . May even see my work improve as I go along . Some of the odd ones I can't find a parts breakdown on so that gets interesting .Zabella 12 ga. double & Winchester model 20 410 single shot have been giving me fits. They get set aside until I want to attack them again . When I see the price of some parts .... it made me look through tubs of parts over & over .
    Having a business & other hobbies it has been a slow process ..... but still fun !

9. OLD Ron

Well after a few days putting my car back together now I can turn to guns for a couple days . Trying out rust blueing . So far I have built a cabinet ( that needs changes ) Have see videos on slow blueing & accelerated blueing . Using hot water & using steam . I have done hot blueing but found it to expensive for the amount of times I use it . This way may better suit my needs . I already know my cabinet works for steaming tobacco . lol I bought a carding wheel & 0000 steel wool . Today I plan to shop for PVC pipe & build the contraption I have see on the net . All blueing seems to take time to get a good blue . The cost is where the difference will come in . Plus with older guns there isn't as much heat so solder isn't a problem . I will be watching the temps. with the steam . They didn't plug the barrel in the video . In my opinion that could bring on some rust where it is not wanted . I will post pics of this even if it turns into a train wreck .

10. OLD Ron

Well managed to get all the parts yesterday . Next build the thing & make it safe . Problem is it isn't raining & I have work to do . I rebuilt a lift pump for my F800 & need to get that bad puppy back on . Also there is my job that needs doing too . Buying toys & eating gets tough with no income ! With all the rain on its way again there should be plenty of time to get at the rust blueing project .

11. SGWGunsmith

Ron,
    Here's what I do for bores when I rust blue. I will coat the bores with two coats of shellac after wiping the bores out with acetone. The shellac will prevent the bores from rusting during the soak in boiling water. After the metal has reached the intended black that I want, I will then swab the bore with paint thinner a couple of times to remove the shellac completely.
    I do plug the muzzle end with a wood dowel, but only so I have an attachment for a hanging wire.

12. OLD Ron

That's a good idea SGW . I was worried about the bore . In the video they just run a wire through & hung it that way . That would work ever better with the shellac inside .
    This is a new process to me so I will most likely make a bunch of mistakes . Have you ever seen that steam pipe set up ? If not .... I will show you mine when it gets together . In my hot tanks I plugged both ends to hang in my tanks .

SGWGunsmith and EclecticShooter like this.
  13. OLD Ron

With all the storms here yesterday I quickly went to plan B . More storms today but will be able to stay in the shop for most of the day .
    I was reading about SGW 's shop ..... sounds great ! I only dream of having mine that organized ! I have the problem of 20 pounds of stuff fitting in a 5 pound bag . I thought shop 2 would be the answer for me ...... wrong again . Shop 3 will be a lot bigger so maybe then I will be able to get organized . 60 x 100 x 17 tall should do it . ( maybe ) It would be up today if the cost wasn't a problem . :(

Rifling82 and EclecticShooter like this.
  14. OLD Ron

Sun finally came out for the day so grass cutting quick before the rain comes in tonight . Went fine until the weed whacking time came along . ( I hate starting weed whackers ) So I moved to the blueing pipe project . ( way more fun than pulling my guts out ) 4 hours just slipped away . Ran out of things on hand so back to the not so fun stuff ..... clean out the car ...... clean the gutters on the house . Then back to that other thing ( weed whackers ) .

Rifling82 and EclecticShooter like this.
  15. SGWGunsmith

No, I haven't seen that method. Many moons ago I built a "humidity box" with a light bulb and a pan of distilled water, if that's the sort of thing you are talking about. Got that info from a fella named John Bivins who builds some pretty dang fancy black powder rifles.
    I also met a fella named Phil Pilkington at one of the "American Custom Gunmakers Guild" events in Reno, quite a while back. Phil uses a "fuming box" with acid to get an oxide coating on custom rifles. I don't like the idea of using acid as in my younger days I spilled battery acid on the crotch of my pants removing the battery from my '56 Belair. After an hour or so, the zipper in my pants fell completely out onto the ground. Scratch a nice pair of Levi cords.
    I just got used to doing the "rust bluing" process, so I sorta stick with using that method. It does take a bit longer to do, but I think it's much more durable than the hot dip caustic bluing salts method used on commercial firearms.

EclecticShooter and OLD Ron like this.
  16. OLD Ron

Well it is built like the one I saw on here ...... now to make it safe . Weed wacker not running yet . From what I gather the hot box dries the rust blue on then you add steam to get it rusting then in the steam pipe to set the black oxide . Should be interesting to see how it comes out .
    steamer.JPG

EclecticShooter and Rifling82 like this.
  17. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

You have to use them as target practice first!

OLD Ron and EclecticShooter like this.
  18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

So, don't think I ever reported on this. By the time the thing begins to slow down, it stops.
    Entertaining waste of $30 tho. Better than going to a movie.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. OLD Ron

Time for plan B freefall
    There has to be a way to make it slower but not to slow & then back to full speed . The things I have put a dimmer switch on slowed but not as slow as I want . The HF one I bought is tough to really tell the different speeds . ( but I did get free stuff ! ) :D

20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

What I've been reading, you really need a 3 phase motor to be able to slow it down. Which means 220v and a phase inhibitor (or some-such). kek.
    I'm looking into belt drive options.

Rifling82 likes this.