The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Speak to me of this speed controller! I want one for my belt sanders. Can you just plug the machine into the controller? PM would be fine if we don't want to bore the multitude.

2. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I am boring all the time ! lol
    Just picked this up today at HF . Yes you plug this in the wall & your sander in it . I tried it on my 2 wheel buffer & a few drills . It slows the rpm a bit but not as much a light dimmer switch does . It was $20 so not a big expense . I will see how it works with a carding wheel . Good luck & I hope this helps you a bit . speed control.JPG

Rifling82 likes this.

3. freefall

Heh. So I could just mount a light dimmer and an outlet in a 4-gang box, mount a cord to plug in and be in business?
    So let it be written, so let it be done!

4. OLD Ron

I was told that burns motors up . I have done it a few times & didn't so it's a toss up on use . I think the really slow creeping might be bad but not the slow down a bit . I always try things on cheap tools first .

5. freefall

I have a 1X30 harbor freight sander that's screaming to be the test victim.

OLD Ron likes this.
  6. OLD Ron

If it works ....... GREAT ! ...... if not forget I mentioned it !:p

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. freefall

If it burns up I'm sending you a Bill! My neighbor Bill for a week or two would fix your wagon good!

Caveman Jim, alsaqr and OLD Ron like this.
  8. OLD Ron

That's great ! ..... Just happen to have a wagon that needs fixing .:p
    Back into the hole of shop 1 today . I have all sorts of plans for today ! Then again it is 6am & I haven't done a thing yet . Seems like as the day goes on & legs start to hurt ..... the plan list changes a lot !

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. OLD Ron

8 hours into this fine day .
    You know cleaning up a shop is over rated ! :D
    Going a lot slower than I thought it would . Good news is I have a painted table for on my deck ..... looks like crap but at least no rust on it . As I try cans of spray paint .... if they spit .... in the garbage can they go . Those 10 cans won't be taking up shelf space any more . Problem is there is around 30 still on the floor . Garbage man is going to really hate me this week ! Being in the right mood to sort & toss things is the key to this adventure . Getting a clear path to my tool boxes will really be a plus for working on things . I have 6 tool boxes & not a clear path to one of them .... yet

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. OLD Ron

Heading out to shop 2 to get some work done there & bring home my rust blueing cabinet . No space for it right now but rain is on the way & I don't want to haul it in a open truck in the rain . I have 2 guns I would like to get a done stamp on this summer & still have time to do some shooting . ( after I get my range set up for the summer again . )

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. OLD Ron

Managed to get 8 hours work in at shop 2 .
    Rust cabinet is in shop 1 now ( on wheels )
    5 acres of crass is cut at shop 2
    Now a few hours at real job today the back working here at shop 1 . ( Rain ... again ! )

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. freefall

So. Got with it and wired together my homemade speed controller today. Only cost me $30 in parts to build what I could have bought for $20 from Harbor Freight, but hey! Those are cheap Chinee units where THIS was built by a Genuine American Crankus Ignoramasaur out of Mexican and Chinee components!
    At any rate, it works great with a lamp. The wrappings on my knee make it uncomfortable to put on pants and take it to the shop and see how it works with the sander, so that shall be put off til Thurs.
    Thanks Ron, for giving me an idea of how to waste an hour or two and $10-15 ! If I can ever repay the favor, just let me know!

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  13. OLD Ron

When it comes to wasting time ...... I am your man to go to !:D
    Mine works but then again I am old & maybe I just think it is going slower .

14. OLD Ron

Almost forgot ...... when you start the sander have the sander wide open & then slow it down . That works better here for me . I think it is better for the tools too .

15. freefall

I had had that thought my ownself.

16. OLD Ron

ok then ....... NEVER MIND ! lol

17. OLD Ron

Shop work today .
    Summer tires on truck & new thermostat on truck .
    Pick up sticks around the yard from the storms .... if it doesn't rain again .
    May get some work done on the blueing cabinet .
    Sort & clean in the shop as always .... that is the biggest & slowest job of all . spring 2019 in shop 1.JPG

18. OLD Ron

Managed to make room in the shop to work on my rust blueing cabinet . Plan to test it with hanging tobacco in it to process . If that works I will have a duel purpose cabinet .

19. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

And I thought my play room was cluttered. :D

OLD Ron likes this.
  20. OLD Ron

I had such a large amount of things come in in one year it set back organizing by many years . By showing the mess I am in might make a lot of people feel better about there own .It is bad now after 3 years but 3 years ago you could not see the back or walk back there . 17 truck & 6 x 12 trailer loads will really mess you up . When most of the things are gun related things ..... you make room & bring more in of a good deal like that was . It was 5 garages & 3 house rooms stacked to the ceilings in all only a small 1 person path to walk . Then this year I bought a double garage of tools . That didn't help the mess but is good for my gun & toy funds .

Rifling82 likes this.