The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Another really nice day here !
    I hope you all have a nice Easter !

EclecticShooter likes this.
  2. OLD Ron

Taking this little girl over to show my dad at lunch today . Just bought it a few weeks ago . Colt Frontier . 22 new grips.JPG

3. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

...........very nice Colt! Hope you have a great Easter also, and that all your Easter eggs have been hard-boiled.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. OLD Ron

Thanks SGW .
    It was a nice time with my dad & brother . Lots of laughs & good food ... can't ask for much more .
    I don't shoot much .22 but thought it was a cool old gun & couldn't say no . I smiled at dad when he said those were cheap Colts & not worth buying . Then said if I paid over $50 for it I was nuts . I smiled again & said I'm nuts then . He really knew his guns up until around 1980 . So he goes back to the 60s prices . I showed him a auction list of guns & what they sold for ..... again he said they have to be nuts to pay that much . I told him then that gas wasn't .15 a gal. any more too . lol Love the old guy .

Caveman Jim, SRK97, RKB and 1 other person like this.
  5. OLD Ron

Here is a project I started 3 years ago . Long story short ..... My dad felt I needed a project to do in my spare time ..... It is neat but I don't collect toys . This is tougher to restore than most guns . This picture is how it came to me ...... now it is in peaces all over my shop in primer paint . I will get it done but guns are more interesting to me . western flyer 1.JPG

6. OLD Ron

The tractor will not be near as much fun to see come to life as this Hepburn project . Hepburn parts.JPG

towboater and EclecticShooter like this.
  7. OLD Ron

Shop work is going well today . I managed to get another rescue / practice gun done & in a case today . ( I take my breaks in work on here lol ) Glenfield Mod. 60 .22 LR.JPG

8. OLD Ron

A question for the forum .
    On old guns that I don't shoot is waxing the metal & wood for storage ok ?
    What is the best wax ?
    If the gun is shot after waxing is there a problem with the heat & the wax ?
    How long does the wax hold up ?
    Guns like the one I have below is why I am asking .
    I clean & oil all my guns at least one a year if not fired . If Fired I clean & oil them every time . I have never heard of the wax until I came on line & saw guys talking about it on line .
    Thanks Ron
    double.JPG

9. OLD Ron

Planning to rust blue a couple barrels ..... lost my rust blue . Ordered more yesterday along with a carding wheel & true oil . I have never used a wheel so that could get interesting . Steel wool always worked good but the wheel may be faster . I will probably find the blueing when I set up the steam box .

towboater likes this.
  10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Ron, that is some nice work. I understand the satisfaction of fixing things. Be sure to show us the tractor when you are done.

11. OLD Ron

Thanks Chain .
    I like taking things that haven't been treated well & bring them back to working order . Rusty oil lamps & rusted tools from 100 years ago I like to see them nice looking again . I have always kept my guns in good shape & never thought to buy ones that weren't taken care of . Well that has changed & I like learning how to repair stocks & dig up old parts for them . I even have chased down checkering that was showing wear on a nice stock . I haven't checkered one from start but plan to at some point . I did a small peace of wood & it wasn't easy . Was going to show it to my dad & lost it in the shop . The tractor is going to look nice ..... but I don't collect tractors . I may give it to dad when it is done . Let him figure out where to put it in his house . lol

towboater likes this.
  12. OLD Ron

Working on this Eibar 12 Ga.
    Problem is with the cocking mec. Though to find info on this gun . Will work on fixing the stock dings up & maybe it will come to me how to fix it . Nice looking gun but junk if it doesn't work . zabala eibar 1.JPG zabala eibar.JPG

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

You story reminds me of a zip-lock bag I got for helping a fella clean up a mess☆.
    In that bag was 94% of a High Standard Sentinel IV revolver.
    The bow on the trigger guard was broken.
    Missing was a couple pins and the hammer stop spring.
    That spring held me up for a few years, I finally tried Jack First Inc in South Dakota.
    They had that spring!

I got some Carcano and Brazil Tec parts from Bob's Gun Shop in Royal AR.

Finding parts for old Savage 340 rifles can be a problem.
    And Winchester 88 parts.
    Ebay is a good resource.
    If your willing to fork up the cash.
    In some projects like the winchester 250 lever project it took a while to find parts.
    The internet really opened up the world of gun repair.
    In the pre-internet days it was like living in the dark ages.

☆the mess was from a gun tinker (Crazy Bob) that had a FFL and worked at the tec school.
    He was eccentric and very nuts, rented a tiny 3 room log cabin out by the shore.
    That cabin was stuffed with all manner of broken, junk guns, reloading supplies and sporting goods.
    Crazy Bob (we called him that) quit paying rent (3 months behind), and suddenly moved away.
    Nobody know where he went.
    The Owner of the cabin wanted Bobs ****uff cleard out so the cabin could be repaired and rented out soon.
    That place was basicly standing room only, boxes of mixed up crap stacked to the ceiling.
    The fellow tasked with cleaning up the place rented from me also a bit wierd but paid his rent.
    He too eventually left town as well.
    He had me come over with my pickup truck and haul that crap to his/my place for sorting.
    I was stuck with about 40% the crap that he cleard out of that cabin, which he stuck in my duplex storage.
    I loaded up two atv trailers worth (half a pickup truck) of that material and hauled it down to the new pawn shop in OTZ at the time and told the guy give me $200 and its all yours.
    That was the best decision I ever made.

I still have a box or two of that crap still around.
    Living in the Alaskan Arctic with $6/gal heating oil, most folks have small places, and limited space to store stuff in a heated space.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I just bought an $180 ultrasonic cleaner off Amazon, the thing is freeking huge.
    Im thinking of tanking bolts and trigger groups in a no-corrosive medium like simple green to clean gun parts.
    At the airport we used untrasonic cleaners and acetone to clean turbo prop PT-6 oil filters.
    They worked great for buzzing things that were stuck.
    I knew of a fellow that has a jet stuck in a carburator, he removed the float and threw the carb body in the tank and cooked it for a coule 8hr shifts in that cleaner, it made dissembly easier.
    We used to buy Hoppe #9 bore cleaner to clean fuel injectors on Cessna 207 continental engines.

15. OLD Ron

I think what it is Rex ..... we that have had hard times don't waste anything . Also we hate to see good things go to waste . So we gather them up & fix the or put them to use . In my network of friends if I have something they can use that I don't need ... then I give it to them . Getting large amounts of things at one time can really be a task to get sorted out . The estate I bought 3 years ago is just finally getting sorted . With my pickup & a 12'x 6' trailer I pulled out 17 full loads of things . There was a 3 ton mill there that I sold & had him move it .

16. OLD Ron

Working on all different types of guns is interesting but can be really frustrating to find parts for . I have a list of around 12 places to check for parts & one that is local . Some of the guns I have done the parts cost more then the gun is worth at the end but at least it is back in working order . Also I have learned to repair them . In the mix there are what I call expensive guns to do that I am holding off on doing until I get much better at it . I have 3 Winchester 97 s C D E that will really be nice to own when done . Also 3 Remington 700 all new to make into guns . As a none gunsmith it has been fun finding what parts go to what gun . Everything was apart right down to the smallest screws & springs & all mixed up together with the rest of things . I wish I would have taken pictures of what I walked into but I didn't want to offend the people that owned it all . It was a buy like I have never see in my life time .

17. OLD Ron

I really like ultrasonic cleaners . I only have a small one that I do small parts & jewelry in . It would be nice to have a big one . Beats the heck out of spray cleaners & a brush . I have used my blueing tank with water to heat clean some parts & used my steamer to blast some crud off . ( the steam works well but what a mess I can make doing it )

18. OLD Ron

I heard on the news that the average American owns 2 guns . ( I think they are wrong ) Group.JPG gun 1.JPG

19. En Passant

En Passant Active Member

I am a relative new poster here too, and I want to say welcome also. Also your post was, well, outstanding.

20. OLD Ron

Thanks En & welcome to you also !
    New guys in a forum is like first day at a new school . It takes time to see what's up & who will talk with you . I am thick skinned but still stay away from political talks & a few other things on the internet too . I hope your experience here is a good one . I have been to other forums that seem a bit controlling & this one seems a lot more laid back .