The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Nice day here & they are ending this weekend for a while . Changing from the 70s to the 50s for the highs . :rolleyes:
    My back is ready to get beat up again so I need a plan to do just that ! :p
    Shop 4 work preps seem to be a good idea .
    Not a big list but a platform needs to be made to lift me up ...... Liz needs to be unloaded & stored ....... More things out of shop 2 ...... move some rock around . Should be done by noon ! :p:rolleyes:
    Getting tools & lights all set up to work will really help things go smother there . I think 5 hooligan 500w stands should give me some work light . My biggest generator only gives out 7500 w so will see how it likes the loads I will be putting on it . That noisy thing will be outside ! The echo in the shop right now would be a pain with that running inside . With needing lights I can't just shut it off for a break in the sound .
    Getting things nailed together will show progress & that's what I need right now . Plan to stop looking for workers & get to doing some myself . It will be slower with me doing it but at least it will be getting done . :cool:

2. OLD Ron

Looks like another nice day today ! :)
    Next week is sounding ugly for outside .
    Shop 4 work went really well yesterday ! :p
    Had a talk with Cleary buildings yesterday. The guy I was talking with tried to blow smoke up my butt & that didn't go well with me . :eek: So he had to talk with the engineer & again came at me with smoke . He finally said he would have my rep call ...... I said he should show up & not be calling ........ he could when he wanted my money . :p Looks like more BS & drama heading for shop 4 . :rolleyes:
    None of the roof edges are sealed up ! This will get interesting .
    Work at the shops went really well ! :)
    Moved a lot of lumber .... steel .... rock ....dirt ..... treasures around the shops . I luv that fork truck !
    easy lumber move.JPG rock ledge.JPG should be no light.JPG not far to go.JPG

TankTop, PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.

3. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Another local gun store.

17AC6175-B780-4A3E-AA5E-FFC9F9DB3DE4.jpeg

OLD Ron, PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  4. OLD Ron

Rain & cold today ...... had to come . :rolleyes:
    Had a long talk with an idiot at Cleary buildings yesterday . He would tell me some BS & I would say that's not true . Yep this is off to a good start . After 3 conversations with him he decided to hand me off to another guy that hasn't called yet . I said why not send him in person !
    Managed to score 4 more 4x8 pallets so getting a nice start on those ! :cool: I'll buy all those I can get .
    Stood the tractor up on 1 front tire yesterday ......... yep that had a big pucker factor ! :eek:
    Didn't think you could do that ...... never want to again !
    The next full day I can get out there the lumber I have will start going up ! :)
    With the cold snap here the mice will be trying to find a new home in shop 4 ...... especially with the 2 14' roll up doors not closing tight ! :mad: They have only worked on them 5 times now . I think I can fix them ..... but it's not my job ! :p
    Today will be sorting & boxing treasures for shop 4 storage . Get a load ready to bring Liz back in to take out . Lots of inside work to be done for the next week or more .

5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I know a couple guys that have Cleary buildings, both ended up with a nice building but the process was hell

OLD Ron and Oldoutlaw like this.
  6. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Your money, YOUR rules.. Thats how I roll. If its not to your specifications(the money holder). Good luck getting paid if its not the way "I" want it..

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I have stood my little Yanmar on one front tire. Couldn't have druv a needle up my bum with a 4# hammer.

OLD Ron likes this.
  8. OLD Ron

Another cool work day here & chances of rain .
    Slow day yesterday because a pepper steak I had didn't sit well !:p It was a head ..... sort & then bed repeated every 3 hours all day .
    Cleary already has my money so it will get interesting to see how they will fix there screw ups . One way or another the building will get sealed up .
    It is fun to get a plan going & see how many ways it can get screwed up every day .:p
    All plans get done but not the way I thought they would get done . Seems like in life that the more you deal with people the less you want to deal with people . I think I could be happy only going to town shopping once every few months . With all the things I have that would be easy to do ! :p
    A friend asked me how much time I was going to spend at shop 4. My answer was as much as I want to or have to . I think as more gets set up there the more it will get used . A turn key shop would have been nice to get but the cost would have killed me !:eek: Besides if I did that what would I gripe about ? :p
    This is how a poor man gets a expensive shop . Also by doing a lot yourself you appreciate it a lot more & it is the way you want it to be . No one but you know what you plan to use it for & what needs to be installed for your uses . A clean well lit & organized shop has not been part of my world for a long time . Right now I get things done but it has limited work space . The estates & auctions has brought me a lot of treasures way faster then I could handle them . :rolleyes: I find everything interesting so ........ I have some of everything ! :p Then when I find a new luv the old luv get put away to make room for the new one . I have heard many people say oh I had one of those years ago & I sold it ....... I wish I still had it . I tend not to say or think that much at all . I still have it ..... just don't know where it's at ! :p With shop 2 3 & 4 I hope that changes . With over 10k of storage & work space I should get it done .:) Ending every day with a full belly & happy is not a bad life . :)

Caveman Jim and ellis36 like this.
  9. OLD Ron

Cool & rain with wind today . :rolleyes:
    Today is my job work day so not much with the shops .
    Yesterday at shop 4 was busy . Sorted on hand lumber & cleaned out Liz of treasures .
    Found a tub of straps & hooks for repairs on the straps . Went through the tub & repaired every strap I could . It is strap o ramma at the shop now ! :p
    A friend came by the shop & he & I checked out the entire shop . There is a lot Cleary will need to be fixing !:rolleyes: The wind was really bad yesterday & in one corner the steel vibrated with the gusts & sounded like a fog horn . :eek:
    They have thousands of holes to fix or I will have all sorts of critters come & set up a new home in my shop .
    Soon as my work stuff gets caught up I will start the nailing up some wood . :) I have the tools set up so once I get a system going it should go quick . I can do 8'x8' sections by myself without a ladder so it can be just me there & need no help . With working on wood every third day it will be slow but other things need doing too & I try to give a day to each . With a place to finally go with tools & treasures it is really nice ! :) Just can't rush the moving & not have a place ready for them to be stored . :eek: That is a real temptation !
    finished corner.JPG

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  10. OLD Ron

Cold & light rain .
    Running around 8 degrees lower than normal .
    Did manage to get a Cleary rep. yesterday & he will meet me Thursday at the shop & see what I am talking about . :rolleyes:
    I feel a lot of BS coming my way ! :p
    Another full day of income work here for today then I can get back to the shop & treasures . :)
    Priced some 2x10 12' lumber yesterday & one stick is $23 ....... that's a rough price with needing so many . :eek: I hope the prices really do go down in a couple months .
    Will need to get to counting sheets of steel to see how I can best use them in the shop . A bid for the ceiling just came in the mail ........ he wants more for that than I paid for the entire materials on shop 2 :eek:
    Getting back to small projects is looking better every day ! :p

Caveman Jim and PeeJay1313 like this.
  11. OLD Ron

A cold early start here in wonderland . :p
    Will run to shop 4 today & see what I can get into & see if the Cleary rep. shows up at 11.
    With frost on the way I need to get things winterized quick . Pressure washer doesn't like the cold in the pump or tanks .
    If I get more things out of shop 2 it could be used as a warm up shack to take breaks in . The delays in construction has pushed me into working in the cold for a bit this year . Soon as I have to wear gloves to work or snow hits the project will stop . Then it is happy time at shop 1 with projects there . :)
    Then it's back to the 22 250 project ...... some rust blueing ...... toy tractor ..... clean up the 45 . It would be nice to get a few done stamps on the rescue room projects . Who knows I may even see my reloading bench again !:eek:

Caveman Jim, PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. OLD Ron

Well shop 4 didn't get much done today .
    Cleary stopped & I pointed out the problems & the corners is ......... that's how they build them . :eek:
    The not sealed up & the loose tin ....... I will get back to you .:rolleyes:
    BS as expected !
    Then people started dropping by to see the building ....... shot 2/3 of the day .
    I managed to get some lumber up & was looking at how nice a job I did ......... then saw I was off so tore all the lumber back down . :confused:
    Saw I forgot to bring in the pressure washer so I did & messed up the ball hitch on the tractor :rolleyes:
    After the screw ups I decided to stop for the day ! o_O
    Tomorrow will be pack things up for shop 4 . Try to get a load in the red truck & go get the big truck to fill up . Maybe Sunday I will clean up the mess I made today & put things up right this time . :p
    If the first layer is off ...... all the rest will be too so it was a good thing I caught it with only a corner done . When you do a lot of different things in one day there is bound to have a few go wrong .
    Some things I put together just to see if they would work ...... lasted for years but now need to be replaced & do it the right way . Just seems like when you don't have the time ....... things break or get screwed up . With the doors closed it wasn't bad working in the shop . The wind was really blowing so inside was the place to be . :)

ellis36, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  13. OLD Ron

Well the frost is here ! :(
    Only hope is a Indian summer for a few days .
    Plan is ....... at least a truck load to shop 4 .
    Then sort enough to start filling Liz again .
    Maybe then tomorrow I can try the wood again . :rolleyes:
    I will need to take my small break out to shop 4 to fix the outside trim next summer . :eek:
    Good thing that I have tools to fix the " Pros "
    screw ups . Fixing my own is one thing but fixing others that I pay good money to is not right . If they seal all the edges I will feel like the rest I can do . That alone is the biggest job & I don't want to have to do that .
    I left the key on in the fork truck ...... yep dead battery . :p That will be on the charger all day today & when I get back to shop 4 it will be ready to put in .
    Only smokey ..... skid steer & roller left in the dirt .
    Smokey may get some inside work on the ceiling . :cool:

14. OLD Ron

Went well sorting & boxing today . :)
    With it so cold out it was a good choice for the day .
    Was thinking today ....... yep that hurt ! :p
    Never thought I would need a fork truck to move things around ! :p Even worse is having one to do it with ! o_O
    Spent a few hours tearing up carpet getting ready to paint inside the house . It will be nice to start the fixing up instead of tearing out & making such a mess . :eek: I do have a knack for making messes !
    Seeing space come back to shop one is really nice . ( floor is dirty ..... but still nice to see again ) ;) Soon as more gets done then I can scrub it back to what ever color it was when I stacked things on it . :rolleyes: Organized is nice but clean & organized is more gooder ! :p

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  15. OLD Ron

Cold & rain today .
    Looks like back to sorting & boxing things to go to shop 4 .
    Usually this time of year I am dragging wood home for the winter . Not this year ! :p
    Way to much going on to mess with wood .
    I will be crying at the heat bills but will just have to suck it up & pay them . :( Could be a lot of soup & PB&J samiches on the menu for this fat boy . :p
    When all the dust settles it will be worth it . :)

Oldoutlaw and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

17. OLD Ron

Well the frost is here ! :eek:
    Took a load to shop 4 yesterday & just parked the truck ...... full . :rolleyes:
    Jumped in Liz & headed to shop 1 .
    The pan now is to use Liz for most all the hauling . With rain & cold it is a better way to keep things going . At 6 mpg empty or full it is a bit pricey to move things but it will move a lot at one time . :)
    Took a load of carpet out of the flip house yesterday too for the burn pile . With luck the upstairs will be ready to be painted by the end of next week . If both painters show up it should go fast . If I stay ahead of them then they could do other rooms as I get them done & ready . My thought is I save $20 a hr. for everything I do . ....... no money in my pocket but less out .
    Still in shock at the 18 k bid for the ceiling at shop 4 :eek: The 5 things that is still needed there will be over 100 k . I will need to be looking for a lot better deals than that to get them done . ( or do without for a spell . ):cool: I have been looking at every type of off grid power there is .
    I need a week of decent temps to clean up some outside things there before the snow . Hard thing is to find that much time for outside & still get inside things going too . o_O
    Guess it is like always split times as I can . Top of the list now is get the house sold & then maybe have a few extra bucks to do more at shop 4 next year . I always thought that money was the biggest problem to a project ...... it is but right next to that there is getting people to work . Add to that all prices have gone nuts & it makes things tough . Starting to think a 1/2 done shop is better than no shop at all . Just a lot of work for one old guy & a hammer ! :p

18. OLD Ron

Another cold day here but getting better as the week goes on :) At least no rain called for !
    Really hit it yesterday . I think I have a big truck load stacked up ready to load & go to shop 4 . It will be cold doing but has to get moved ...... better than in snow or rain ! :p
    Talked to a guy that had a Cleary building put up a few years ago . His is all sealed on the edges . :rolleyes: He really didn't know if the corners were square or not ....... he said he wasn't as picky as I am ! :rolleyes: I told him it has nothing to do with picky ...... asking for a job done right is not being picky . I also told him if he accepted things like that he was a knob . :p I need to work on my people skills ! :cool:
    This week may be my chance of getting some more outside things done . :) May get time to pound out some nails on the lumber I screwed up . A air nail gun puts them in quick ...... pulling them out is not so quick . Being poor doesn't mean you can't stay busy ! :p

19. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Poor!?.... oh boy :rolleyes:

Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  20. OLD Ron

Frost to start with then warmed up with SW wind all day . :)
    Full truck load to shop 4 ...... fixed ball hitch ..... moved rock around ....... unloaded a bunch of cement yard ornaments ...... a load to the burn pile & off loaded the boxes & treasures . Not a bad day for a old fart ! :p
    I will sleep good tonight . o_O
    Shop 3 is filling up fast with things . :eek: I may need a bigger building ! :p
    Ordered a quick attach for my tractor loader .
    Then I can put forks on the tractor to move things around out in the dirt where the fork truck can't go . I have wanted that for years but the cost was to high ...... now for 60% less I will finally have one . Then the tractor will have 3 different buckets & a set of forks .;) Some times waiting for things is a good thing . :p

Oldoutlaw, Rifling82 and Caveman Jim like this.