The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Lots of rain up here !
    Calling for more all week & cold . :eek:
    Looks like a lot of sorting & packing on tap around here this week . No place to take it yet but might as well get it ready to go to shop 4 . :rolleyes:
    Ordered some gutter guards for shop 1 yesterday so maybe this year I won't need to clean gutters so often . :)
    Running out of tubs again around here ..... I hope I can empty them as fast as I filled them up ! I have high hopes shop 4 will solve this problem . Looks like I will be moving things around in the shop to work again like I had to in shop 2 . That really sucked ! At least this time I will have a fork truck to make it easier . :p 6600 sq ft may be a bit small ! :eek: Going up 16' will really help !

2. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

And then watch each pile fall. Gonna get the old Domino Effect. :eek:

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.

3. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Ron, Have you entertain the thought of getting some pallet racks or HD shelving?

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  4. OLD Ron

Yep those are in the plans :)
    I don't need the deep ones because they take up to much floor space so I will go with high shelves & have a 8' tall walk way . With lumber so tough to get & expensive it could be a mess . :eek:

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Caveman Jim

I haven’t bought lumber in a long time, didn’t know it was going up.

6. OLD Ron

It has gone crazy Jim !
    The cv19 crap is really messing construction projects up . This could last a long time . Then add to the problem the cost of everything else going up & you can't get people to work or show up to work ...... yep I picked a fine year to put up shop 4 ! :p

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  7. OLD Ron

Well I finally got the stove out of the basement ! Only took 7 more hours & a lot of magic words to do it . :rolleyes:
    Man did I make a mess ....... found out soot from the 1800 s is just as messy today ! I have no idea why that was never cleaned out . That stuff is like spilling ink on you ..... & I did ! :p
    cook stove a.JPG cook stove c.JPG

8. OLD Ron

It has been raining all night !
    Storm woke me at 12 so this will be a rough day .
    The cement guys should start today ..... should . With all the rain they probably will . :rolleyes:
    Plan is to put that stove in the truck when I go out to check on them . The rain may clean it up a bit ! :p
    That is one heavy stove ! :eek: Getting it back together could get interesting but at least it will be clean & look a lot better than now .
    Once 3 is done it will be fun putting treasures around in there . :) In shop 3 & 4 at least I have the equipment to move thing like that around easily . Finally getting the space to use those things will really be nice . Over the years I bought a lot for a big building with no building . :rolleyes: Even the pepsi trailer will get cleaned out ! :eek:
    Sounds crazy but I may even get my reloading bench back ! ;)

9. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

What you need to do is have a HUGE Sale or Flea Market out there. :D

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  10. OLD Ron

Have actually thought about doing that or a auction there . The auction idea went south when he said 20% to me & I provide everything . :eek:
    Next idea was a sale by appointment only . That may still be a plan as long as it doesn't tick me off to much with tire kickers . so many are that way & I am not so it bothers me & seems like a waste of time to me . Usually I know what different people are interested in & tell them . I have one guy waiting for me to do it because he wants some toys . I told him he would get first look at the toys & I will as always keep my word . :)

11. OLD Ron

Still raining here . And cold ! :eek:
    The cement guy called me yesterday at 7 a.m. & said they would start . I grabbed the stove & rushed to shop 2 to meet them .
    At 1 p.m. they showed up . :rolleyes:
    I talked a bit then off I went . He called around 5 & said they will pour 60' today . They need a few 2x6s so I will pick them up for them on my way out there . I may get a floor this week like he said yet ! :)
    I will probably stick around to see how they do the pour a bit then run off & check it again tomorrow . With so many other things going on I can't spend all day just watching & with all this rain & can't do outside things .
    With meat prices back up again I am back to mac & cheese & TV dinners :p
    I may have some time to get some exhaust work done on the truck & car this week . Hard to find time for things like that when I am doing so much running .
    The cement may be dry enough to walk on this weekend so if I buy some gun supply s at the auction this weekend .
    I could take them to shop 4 :)
    You have to plan ahead ! :p

12. OLD Ron

Well went to the store for treated lumber ..... sold out :eek: Bought longer than needed so could finish the pour tomorrow .
    Has been light rain cold & windy all day . 60' of floor should be in by now . The cement trucks just kept a steady flow of cement coming in to the job . :)
    Am catching a cold so went home early . No time to get a cold now . :rolleyes: Nine guys & 2 power buggy s ...... away they went .
    cement pour.JPG

13. OLD Ron

Still raining & still cold ! :oops:
    Should finish the inside cement today . Then all that will be left is outside . That will be the tricky one . :cool:
    Plan is to sneak in some repairs on vehicles today . Then anything that isn't cold to be doing . :p
    May start hunting for lights for shop 4 . I have some work lights now but it will take a lot of light for that cave . :)
    Getting things out of shop 2 that I can use in 3 & 4 will get interesting . Just seeing the back wall at shop 2 will be a trip ! :eek: It is now time to use the things I gathered over the years for this shop . Will see how much auctions saved me on this project . Good news is that auctions are still going on & I may find things I don't have enough of . :)
    There is still one auction that was canceled that may have a lot of what I can use . It was a construction company that closed last year . :rolleyes:

14. OLD Ron

Still cold & rain . :rolleyes:
    Not looking good for the outside cement pour . Will stop today & see how it is going out there . My job needs me on the road today but can stop for a peek at the shop . :p
    Managed to get a oil change & check the exhaust . The rattle was a sway bar link . They wanted $190 to fix one side . I can do both sides myself for $19 . And they wonder why they aren't getting a lot of work ? :eek:
    I realize people need to make money but those kind of markups is silly . With so many people out of work & they charge like that .
    It all adds to the out of control inflation we already have . I keep my prices low as I can for people . The result of that is I do more sales than others . Even in this world of people trying to screw you at every turn ..... being fair can make you money . :)
    Still working on the house update & it is slow going . I did manage to find a painter that wants work so all I need to do now is get it ready . With my brother laid up for a while it is all up to me to do in my spare time ! :p While waiting for the cement at shop 4 to dry I can get on the house project more . Wish I had the time to do my own house ! :rolleyes:
    Almost went to the rescue room to work yesterday .... almost . I knew if I did the paper work & things wouldn't get done so I didn't .:( Hope to finish up that 22 250 .... work on that 45 & a few others . All depends on how much time I spend at shop 2 3 & 4 working . At least my small projects don't cost as much as the shop project ! :p

Caveman Jim and ellis36 like this.
  15. OLD Ron

Rained all day yesterday & looks like it will again today . :oops:
    No cement going in so might as well go to an auction . :p
    If it wasn't for the gun stuff I probably wouldn't go . Being surrounded by treasures kind of slows down the go buy more thoughts . :rolleyes:
    It was nice to have a floor in shop 3 & 4 . :)
    Outside still sucks but almost there . The inside was really dark with the storms outside . It will take a lot of light to make that a work space . High hopes for the LED lights . The cost will decide that idea . Will probably split the lights & only light the area I need to work in . Could pick up a few hundred Christmas light strings ! :eek: inside cement done a.JPG inside cement done.JPG wood toy.JPG

16. OLD Ron

Rain finally quit !
    Looks like a drying out on tap . :)
    The auction was big & prices way to high . :confused:
    Guess it's back to sorting & packing for me .
    With it back to normal temps. The cement should get finished & I will be able to get truck loads in shop 4 :)
    Now it is a race to beat the snow . My guess is I will get around 10 Liz loads out there & then it will be cold . It will be a job but needs doing . :p The change from saying I should do things to actually doing them will give me a sore back ! :p
    It all is work but fun work seeing the collections again . Funny that after so many years of having the treasures ..... I still like most of them . The things I am tired of will be going to a new home . Cash takes up a lot less room to store ! :)

towboater, Rifling82 and ellis36 like this.
  17. OLD Ron

Looks like another nice day here ! :)
    Hope the outside cement get in today . Plan to check on them later on today . I spent yesterday sorting & cleaning ..... made a dent in it ! :p Today will be more of the same getting ready to move things out when I can . I spent way to much time yesterday looking at generators & LED lights for the shops so today I plan not to fall in that hole again & stick with the program . :rolleyes: My brother had all sorts of ideas for me ..... finally I told him if I needed a boss I would get a GF or wife ! :eek:
    People mean well but some ideas just don't fit the plan . Easy to say put up a 320' wall but a lot tougher to do it . :( Of all the people that know me he should be the one to know that I can come up with plenty of ideas to spend my money on my own without help ! :p

18. Caveman Jim

It looks like we are going to get a little bit of your rain up here, hopefully it’ll put a damper on this dang toxic smoke from Kalifornistan...

towboater, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  19. OLD Ron

You are welcome to it Jim .
    We have had over 7" this month alone . With the cold it was a little much for me .
    If those commies would manage there woods better they wouldn't have burns every year like they do . Can't cut a tree for lumber needed here ...... just burn up millions because of stupid practices . Then blame it on climate change .

Caveman Jim, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  20. OLD Ron

Went to shop 4 around noon today & no one was or had been there . :mad:
    Went to sorting & packing ...... managed to get a few tubs ready to haul out to the shop .
    May run a couple tubs of old tax records out to the burn pile tomorrow so as to not waste a trip like I did today to check on the cement guys . It really is hard to find good help now days ! The prices & the people are stupid but not many to choose from . It was a perfect day to do outside work ...... I just knew if I did those lugnuts would show up & block me all in . :rolleyes: A day without a plan B is a day nothing would get done .

Caveman Jim and towboater like this.