The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

It went well today at shop 2 . :)
    Managed to off load Liz in shop 2 so now have a empty truck again .
    Moved smokey .... bobcat & pressure washer around to the back of the shop out of the way for now . Then cut the grass that was all around where they were parked . Makes it look a lot better out there with those out of the way for now .
    Called another contractor today & he said he was booked up until Jan. of next year ! :eek:
    It gets more interesting every day with this project . :p
    Storms are coming this weekend so it may cool things down for next week . Guess it really doesn't make a difference if no one is working . o_O Always ends up a one man show ! With all the tools I have at least it is easier on me than it was in the past . :)
    A long road to have a place to work on & store treasures . :cool:

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and ellis36 like this.
  2. OLD Ron

Up to the 90s again today :p
    Storms on the way late tonight .
    I may try to run a load out before the heat gets to much . Then back in the ac & see what I can get into .
    The ice box is right in the way for now so off to shop 2 it can go for now . Some how I lost my path out the door ! :rolleyes:
    More tubs could go but I lost the lids to them some place . :p Tough to stack with no lid to stack on . I need to move some things at shop 1 to get this back under some control .

3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I can’t for the life of me believe that you lose anything

4. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my goodness! I can. :D

5. Rifling82

He’s just so...... organized

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Oldoutlaw like this.
  6. OLD Ron

Funny boys ! :p
    This is all a work in progress . :)
    I hope shop 4 will be the answer to organizing things ..... I hope !
    It took a life time to get this much so it will take a bit to organize . :p
    Spent a big part of yesterday looking for a 3/4 ton GM 4wd pickup . Used is hard to find & new is more than my house cost . :eek:
    Storms went north last night but still calling for them today & tonight .
    Today is looking like another mixed bag of things . With the long weekend lots to do .
    At shop 2 yesterday I actually could start to see my shooting range again ! :p
    Getting back to shooting & rescue work will be really nice for a change ! Once the shop work is just me doing it I plan to mix it all up so as to not get burned out on just one thing .
    I have a house to update & sell too so it will be fun to get people in to paint & do floors & counter tops too . In my spare time I go there & do tear out . :cool:
    My brother is helping when he has the time to ...... he is doing a make over of his house so he doesn't have a lot of time to help me . He doesn't listen well so that probably is a good thing ! :p It all keeps this old guy running ! :)

7. OLD Ron

It is cooling off fast here ! :)
    It was ugly hot today but now down to 78 already . It will be nice to get the doors & windows open again .
    Called 2 new contractors today & hope to find one that wants to work . :rolleyes:
    The new overhead door locks are in so I paid them off & hope I don't need another door any time soon .
    Thought this was a 3 day weekend ...... not for another week . :p
    So I guess I am a week ahead ! :eek:

8. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeppur, I knew you were off a week. But, figured no use saying so and you pulling the last hair off of your head. :D

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  9. OLD Ron

It is really nice out already this a.m. :)
    Windows & doors open since 5 that will make it nice in here .
    With my extra week outlaw gave me I plan to get a few more things done . :p
    Last night I was cleaning up the computer & got to looking at pictures of some inventory & rescue projects I have done . I actually did quite a few projects in the last year . :)
    All done here in the over crowded shop 1 .
    If I plan to get more done I will need to pick up the pace moving things out . :rolleyes:
    With so many apart now it may take a bit to get to the Winchester 1873 44 - 40 . That is a neat old gun . ( to my eyes ) The toy tractor & 22 250 will probably be first on the list . Looking back last winter the plan was to be shooting the 22 250 by spring while watching the shop go up ....... missed that by a mile ! :p I really didn't think it would be so tough to hire people to work ....... thought everyone needed money ! The few I have had ..... took 3 times coming back to get a job done right .
    One of the garage door guys tested positive for cv19 ..... never sick but had to take 3 weeks off work . And to boot he didn't get paid for the time off . To make it worse .... while he was off other crews swiped tools out of his truck . Oh the joy of working with others ! :p

10. OLD Ron

Not a bad day yesterday ! :)
    A new cement contractor called & we went to look at the job . He is now working up a price for me . :cool:
    Still trying to get the old cast iron stove apart ....... managed 2 bolts out yesterday :rolleyes: at this rate it will take months to get apart . May need a plan B to move it faster 1/2 apart I bet it still weighs 500 lbs . that is a bunch to go up a flight of stairs ! :eek: I wonder how the guys in the 1800 did it ?
    May have found a guy yesterday too that will do the digging for me ! :) Said he would call me when he gets back in town tomorrow & take a look at the job .
    Most think I live there & they can just stop by anytime ...... not so much ! ....... it's a shop ..... not my house ! :pI know that because my house is a lot smaller ! :rolleyes:
    Then again if I get my house cleaned out & at the the shop ...... my house will be bigger ! :p
    Hope that when I get to do more inside it will go along with a lot less problems . The inside walls will make it change a lot inside . Will get the goof off area done quick so I have a place to go ! :) Big plans with winter right around the corner .

Caveman Jim, ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  11. OLD Ron

Calling for rain here today . Guess we need some .
    Made up a shopping list yesterday for shop 4 .
    Will pick those up today & run them out there as to be ready for the digging guy ..... if he shows up or calls . :rolleyes:
    Then it's paper work time :(
    Did manage to get a few things cleaned up at the land . The weeds in places is over 4' tall :eek: Makes it interesting when there are things in the weeds that will mess up a mower fast . Flat cement blocks & hunks of 2x4 s that the contractor left for me to find later . There contract said I had to do clean up so no surprise there :eek:
    It doesn't look like I will get the time to move much dirt this year ...... will try to but not looking good .
    With the nice weather it has been great to be outside doing things . Range time would have been more fun but work first .... play later ! :p

Caveman Jim and ellis36 like this.
  12. OLD Ron

Yesterday went off the rails early !
    Went to buy pipe ..... foam board was on sale ....... bought 26 sheets . ( it was $40 a sheet... on sale my cost $20 ) :)
    That was a stack on my pickup ! 5' tall load on a windy day going down the highway .....:eek: On the way the rain hit & wind came up but made it to shop 4 inside safe & sound . :cool:
    Then it was 4 contractors wanting to do my job :eek: The one that wouldn't call me back or start the job was there without a call . Had a new attitude ! Wanted to start the job soon as I get pipe in & willing to do things he last told me was up to me to do . What a shock that was . So I called the digger guy & said he was holding up the job ...... he said oh now the slow contractor is laying the blame on him for the start . I said yep . Now he will dig as soon as he get back in town that is today . He said then we will see what excuse the contractor uses not to start . :p
    Word is a lot of projects are being canceled because they can't get materials & prices went way up again . So now contractors are looking for work .
    Treated lumber places are shutting down because the can't get chemicals or lumber
    Truss places are laying off because no lumber to make them .
    Shortages across the board in construction . Looks rough ahead for construction .
    Big storms & people burning places down has not helped at all . The insurance company s only pay a flat amount & that's all so the owner doesn't get the cost to replace what they had & with no materials they are screwed .
    Sorry about the depressing rant but that's what is going on around here .
    In the strange news here ....... a black man was hung 180 years ago here ...... so now there will be a protest about that :eek:
    No idea why he was hung :confused:
    Strange world we live in today ! :p
    Side note ..... back 180 years ago ...... this wasn't even a state ! :rolleyes:
    And people wonder why I stay to myself & do projects & mess with treasures !

13. OLD Ron

Looks like a good day with lots of sun ! :)
    This day will get busy .
    I have to do end of the month things ...... the digger will be at shop 4 at 10 a.m. ....... I get to do pluming & back fill & compacting . :eek:
    Then back to business things & get things ready for the 3 day weekend . :confused:
    Soon as I get the pipe in I plan to call the cement contractor & say get the cement in ! :) If he doesn't get on it I have 2 others ready to do the work .
    Will be one sore old guy tonight . :p
    I need to get my equipment out of shop 4 too so back outside things will go ....... hope no more walks away ! :mad:
    Seems like a lot of work for just the floor . :rolleyes:
    Then comes the hunt for lumber ...... I have enough for a start & will keep looking for more until I run out . With treasures flowing in at the same time it will be a busy shop ..... not to mention getting tools out there for the wood working . I will need to get a lot out of shop 2 that I can use for this project . The fork truck will help a lot with that idea . :) Getting the 2x6 s & 2x10 s will be the problem spot . Real happy I bought the 2 x 4 s early now . :p

14. OLD Ron

Sunny & nice here today ! :)
    The digging has started !
    They showed up at shop 4 at 11:30 unloaded equipment & went to lunch ! :eek:
    I went to my job & managed some work & at 3 stopped back ...... lots of dirt in the shop !
    The plan changed so I need to pick up fittings for the changes . A 5' deep trench 30" wide across the shop is a big hole for 4" of pipe .
    Talked to the cement guy & he will start prep Tue. & climes will be done by next weekend . Hope it's not more smoke up my butt ! :confused:
    They are calling for rain next week so it may get interesting .
    Still looking for a guy to put the ceiling up & insulate it . Most need a hard surface to run the lifts on so couldn't do it right away . It will be hard to heat without it done . :p
    With all this going on my equipment is a mess ! :eek: Probably will be that way for a while . Projects do make a mess ! Mine seem to last for years ! :cool:

15. OLD Ron

Getting cooler every day now .
    Yesterday went well at shop 4 ..... all the pipe is in the ground ! :) I may get a floor yet ! :p
    Plan today is all about shop 1 . Lots to do here so a day at it will help . :rolleyes:
    A auction is coming up tomorrow ...... I really should go just for a change of pace . :p I don't see anything I need but will be nice to get away from the shops . A day without lime stone dust all over me will be a nice change !
    I did take some pictures but left the camera on the fork truck at shop 2 .:eek: With pictures of this project ...... maybe then I can look back at it I think ..... THAT WAS EASY ! ..... then again maybe not . :cool: It took me 2 years ( summers ) to get shop 2 in shape to work in ...... then I messed it all up with treasures & equipment in about a year ! :confused: Buying estates is where it came in fast & space was a big problem . Will try not to repeat this ! The brainfart money is going to take a big hit with shop 4 & 3 . :rolleyes:

Oldoutlaw, Caveman Jim and ellis36 like this.
  16. OLD Ron

Had a good time sorting at shop 1 yesterday . :) It is nice to get things cleaned back up after a week of limestone dust ! I didn't go out to shop 4 to see how they cleaned up out there after the pipe . At least that is in the ground now . :rolleyes:
    Up early today to get a few things done here & then head to the auction to take a peek , :p
    There is one auction I am keeping an eye out for that was canceled in May because of the cv19 crap . In that auction there is a couple trucks & building supply s that maybe I could use at shop 3 & 4 . At least now I will have a place to put them . :p Getting things set up to work in there will be a nice step on the project .
    It amounts to building a building inside . With lumber scarce it may take a while . Plan to buy stacks as soon as I have a floor to put them on . :rolleyes: I hope I don't need to buy much wire at these prices ! I have a lot on hand in shop 2 but will probably need a bit more because of the distances I will need to go with shop 4 lights . I want as many LED lights I can afford for in there . People say the prices have come way down so I may get a break on those & save on the load for the generator . Lots to think about & go buy ! :eek: As money flies out the window plans may change a bit .

Oldoutlaw, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  17. OLD Ron

Stayed at the auction only about an hour.
    Nothing worth the time to stand around for . 3 rings going can be a good thing & the prices a bit lower but I had no need for 1 ring so went to shop 2 & did some clean up . The contractors I seem to get really leave a mess & I have to clean up after them . :rolleyes:
    Oh well at least am ready for the cement guys next . :)
    mess inside.JPG mess outside.JPG

towboater, ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  18. Rifling82

What’s the weather gonna be like up there next week? Our high on Wednesday is supposed to be only 61

19. OLD Ron

They are calling for rain & in the 60s here . :cool:

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. OLD Ron

Storms all night long . I bet it was loud at shop 4 with all that steel .
    At least with rain all week they can still get cement inside shop 4 . :)
    Looks like a sorting & packing day here . I may go at that wood stove a bit too & try to drill some bolts out of it . That thing is really putting up a fight to get moved . :p
    With the days getting short I need to kick this up as much as I can . It is a lot bigger job than thought . :eek: Some days I would like to throw it all out ! :confused: ...... Would be happy on the short term but really sad long term . Digging through my own things really keeps my hand down at auctions . :p
    There is one coming up with tons of reloading supply s . May get in trouble at that one . I don't need anything along those lines ...... but if it is cheap enough ...... in the truck it will go ! :p I never understood how they can sell reloads at a auction or even factory for that matter . If I didn't know who loaded it ..... I don't shoot it .
    Only a few guns at this one so the good ones must have been taken out first . With all the calibers he has there isn't one pistol or 223 . It said in the sale bill there is over a hundred pounds of powder & thousands of primers & brass . Sounds like the gun estate I bought ...... there was a full pickup of just brass in there ...... that took a couple weeks to sort & bag . :eek: I still have a few empty ammo cans that I could fill up ! :p

towboater, Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.