The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ll take the short drive and come help you Ron ;)

OLD Ron likes this.
  2. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Thanks rifling but that long of a drive for that small of a job is a waste . Me & WD 40 will get that stove to bite size & up the stairs . :p
    I will need to put it back together as soon as I can so I don't forget how or loose bolts ! :rolleyes:

Rifling82 likes this.

3. OLD Ron

Looks like another nice day around here .
    With the sun coming up later it means more time in the dark .
    Had another corn feast yesterday ...... checked the kitchen this a.m. & no one cleaned up my mess ! :eek:
    Guess that's where I can start my day at .
    It was nice to have a GF around for those things but she would have been mad at me for the past few years about my projects so it's better to clean up my own messes :p
    With things to do in any direction ...... it is easy to find things to get into ..... some are way more interesting than others . :cool:
    The roll up doors should be on this week so that will help button down shop 3 - 4 at lot better . Sooner or later the rain will be back & 2 14 x 14 doors not on could be a mess inside .
    Can't buy things for the shop on weekends because the help is to stupid to get things right so will need to go Monday to get the right help . ;)
    Guess it is a tossup day .:p

4. OLD Ron

No matter how you cut it cast iron stove parts are heavy ! :p
    I managed to get 1/3 of the stove apart & drug up the steps ....... those were the easy parts . Soaked a bunch of bolts with WD40 & moved on to plumbing ..... I hate plumbing .
    Bought a small kit & it didn't have the rubbers I need so will go back & get the bigger kit to fix it . :rolleyes:
    The guy didn't return my trailer like he said he would so will need to chase that down tomorrow & get a few things to take to shop 2 . Some people just don't keep there word . :mad:
    200 pounds of cast iron parts stuffed in a Honda was interesting to do :p
    May need to cut some bolts off if the WD doesn't work . No socket for old stove bolt square nuts . If it was in the shop this would be the time for an air chisel to help with the rust . Before this goes back together it will be cleaned & painted with heat paint . It probably will never get used again so it may as well be clean & looking nice . :) Those had to be fun to move with a horse & wagon . May be why not many lived past age 35 :p

towboater, Caveman Jim and ellis36 like this.
  5. OLD Ron

Good outside day for here ! 70s
    Was a bit nippy this am in the 50s .
    Shop one needs some attention . :cool:
    Yard work is out of control so better get at that & get a load of weeds to take to shop 2 to burn . May go crazy & do some painting ..... if I can find the paint . :rolleyes:
    Soon as I find my trailer I plan to buy a few things for shop 3 & drag it out there .
    Have a few phone calls to make & that will drive me outside after a couple of those . :confused:
    Round the day off with some more plumbing & it should be a mixed bag day .:p

towboater and ellis36 like this.
  6. OLD Ron

Not a real productive day here .:cool:
    Plumbing took way longer than it should have ....... my trailer is missing ...... weeds are growing ....... some paper work done & the BS was flying ! :p
    All in all it was a real nice day to not get much done . :rolleyes:

7. OLD Ron

56 in the morning ? ..... In August ? Low 70s for a high ? Hope this doesn't mean a long really cold winter on the way . :eek:
    I will need to get to cutting fire wood early this year ..... yep I say that every year ! :p
    Off to shop 2 today & get those doors on & get one step closer to closing it all up . This cold will set off a bunch of storms when the heat rolls back in so doors will help a lot .
    I still have parts of the cast iron stove in the car so will find a safe place to store them at shop 2 today . Getting the rest apart will get interesting . The smaller I make it the easier it will be to get up the steps . My back will be shot on those days :(
    Spent some time figuring out some lumber I will be needing ...... the numbers are big & the cost made me sick ! :p
    Thinking of ways to save some money ..... I could spray insulation only 6' up the walls & do the rest with bats . That would seal up all around the lower edges & maybe keep critters out & only 6' up would cut the cost a bunch . ( at least it should ) Foam board 2' on the outside edges & plastic on the rest of the floor will still keep my floor dry & cut the cost too . Those 2 things should save around 7 or 8k ..... that's a good savings . :) It all adds up to more can get done & the better it can look . The cement will be the biggest step to sealing things up & make the inside an any time place to work . :cool:

ellis36 likes this.
  8. OLD Ron

Another nice day here ..... this can't keep going !:p
    Interesting day yesterday at shop 2 .
    The big doors are on ....... won't stay up but on ...... locks didn't come ( cv19 BS again ) .... busted my 22" weed cutter ....... hunted down my trailer ..... repoed it full of trash :mad:
    Best news of the day ..... my brother brought over all the fixings for BLT samiches :) I fixed 4 for supper last night ..... was great with all garden veggies ! :) He can be a good brother ...... some days :p
    Today is back to pushing rock around . Will start late because I need to make a couple calls & order some materials .
    They are calling for heat & rain this weekend so better get the outside things squared away as best I can today . All needs to go ricky tick to bet the heat .
    A lot of scraps to get burned today too .
    Construction clean up is top of the list today . :rolleyes:

9. OLD Ron

It was a busy day yesterday & I think I got a few things done . It is hard to tell with moving rock around a building . :eek:
    I did get a load of building materials out to the shops ....... just forgot to take some needed tools out too ! :rolleyes: It was a long forget & loose things day out there . Today I will take tools out & more lumber too . Trying hard to beat the heat on the way for this weekend .
    The guys came to fix the new doors the other guys messed up o_O ..... crap happens I guess .
    I did manage to get the junk off my trailer & burned up ..... that was a lot of crap I didn't need extra on my plate .
    A guy stopped at shop 2 & wanted to buy my place :eek: ..... he offered 3 times what I paid for it .:eek: No idea what brought that on . I don't think I have a for sale sign up ! :confused:
    Yep was a strange day here at the end of the world ! :p

10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

He was probably looking to tear down everything on the property and build a golf/country club and make $$$$$...:eek::eek::eek:

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  11. OLD Ron

Not zoned for that but with enough money ...... who knows ! :p

Caveman Jim, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  12. OLD Ron

Another long day at shop 2 .
    It would be nice to have a day with no rocks in my flip flops ! :p
    Picked up 48 green treated 2 x 6 s & paid for 400 2 x 4 s . The price is going up every day so thought if I want to continue shop 3 - 4 I had better get some lumber . Crazy times with prices doing this so often on everything .
    AT least it looks nice on the outside . :)
    4 window on.JPG 4 window on A.JPG tool wagon.JPG

13. OLD Ron

Plan was to stay away from shop 2 today ..... nope ! ...... forgot to close the doors on the pepsi shop . :eek: So at day break I will be out there locking things up .
    Getting old is not for the timid ! :p
    I need to do a few service calls today too & back to more paper work . Then find a new dentist :rolleyes: ...... then again try to get some work done around shop 1 .
    My 22" weed trimmer broke down so had fun taking that apart to see the problems . Looks like it never was taken care of much so dug grass & rust out that was there since the stone age . I found it really more interesting messing with instead of pushing rock around .
    Am going with a new plan on insulation ...... spray foam floor up to 6' on the side walls ..... then bats the rest of the way . The guy for spray should be there next week . :rolleyes:
    May need to work in the heat this weekend to be ready for him to spray . :eek: Not a good plan but some just aren't :p
    Just opened my July bill for rock :eek: $4100 bucks for rocks just last month ! That's the bad news .... worse news .... I need more ! .... crap ..... may need to sell my house yet to get shop 3 - 4 done ! o_O
    I should have left that bill on the desk a few days ! :cool:

towboater, ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  14. OLD Ron

Well the heat & humidity is back . That is just our summers.:confused:
    Yesterday was a strange one ...... went to shop 2 early ..... someone stole my dump box trailer ..... called cop waited a hour to make report ..... did a few ATM ...... paid my rock bill ...... made a lot of calls looking for the trailer ....... made a deal with the cement company & saved about 4K on cement :) ..... found out where my trailer was hidden in some weeds about 50 miles away ...... called the land owner & said if it wasn't back on my land that day the sheriff would be there with me to get it & charges would be brought .:confused: At 5 p.m. it was on my land & the gate was locked with a new lock . Found a sale on pepsi & called it a day . :p I call that a strange day

15. OLD Ron

Sun will be up in a couple hours & off to the races today with shop 3 - 4 :cool:
    Plan is to work out there until the heat gets to much . Get those 2 x 6 s nailed on around the edges . Cut some steel in 6' lengths for side walls . Then run for the AC .:p More paper work to get at too & some cleaning would be nice ..... see how that brainfart goes today . :rolleyes: The next few weeks look like it will get busy around shop 2 ..... more than the usual things . I may need a new set of flip flops after this summer ! :eek:

Caveman Jim, towboater and ellis36 like this.
  16. OLD Ron

Yesterday did get hot ...... today worse they say . Why a heat index ? Upper 80s is hot .... then throw in heat index of 100 ? They want us to feel worse about the heat ? Besides that how do they know how it feels to everyone ? A breeze or get in the shade & I can put up with a lot . Some can't . :confused:
    Put a dent in it yesterday & lasted until 5 p.m.
    Tore my jeans out bad & had to stop at the store on my way home ...... yep I duct taped those suckers up ! :p ( I am a fashion statement ) :rolleyes:
    Short run to shop 2 today . Only work until noon then back to shop 1 to start catching up on paper work & cleaning .
    A lot of rake work to do at shop 3 - 4 . That is some slow work . A rake & shovel don't seem to fit my hands well . :p
    May need to take a break from shovel & go weed wack around my gate so it opens better . That works really well now with the repair to it . :)
    Would like to be doing more clean up around shop 2 to make it look nicer but the work at 3 needs doing first but on breaks can pick up a few things . Just no big push that I can notice it cleaned up ..... I just see it's not getting worse . :cool:

17. OLD Ron

What a fun day at the shops ......:rolleyes:
    Heat & storms all day long .they came in waves . Lasted until 3 p.m. then caught up to the last big storm on the way home . Needed the car washed anyway ! :p
    All the needed 2 x 6 s are now on the outside ....... the 32' pieces of left over steel are cut into 6' hunks & loaded on the 22' trailer & strapped down ..... closed all the gaps around the edges of the building with fill ..... using a thing called a shovel ...... don't much care for the shovel tool :confused:
    Took out my good stud nail gun & that worked like a champ . A new saw blade helped a lot too . Now I am ready for the spray foam guy !:)
    I may rent a trencher & get the pipes in the ground next week too . Then comes the cement ! :cool:
    Moved my dump box trailer around back & started throwing junk in it ..... if they take it again they will have to deal with the junk ! :p
    I usually work slow in the heat but the thunder & rain kept me moving along ...... that is at a old guys speed ! :p

18. OLD Ron

OK working 2 high heat & humidity days in a row probably wasn't a good idea ! :p
    Spent the first 2 hours of the day in bed not wanting to get up . Pain is all over my old body ! Had to get up to get aspirin :rolleyes:
    Hope they work soon . :)
    Today will be shop 1 time . Sorting .... cleaning & paper work . ( no dammm shovel will be involved ! ) :cool:
    I should check out the rescue room & see if there is anything in there ! :cool: Those stocks in there should be really dry by now ! :p I really did think there would be time for gun play & work this summer ..... not so much & today I couldn't load one . The problem is that I can't hire people to do work so I do it myself :eek: That & the fact that so many want $20 an hour to do unskilled things . I don't think I am worth $20 a hour & I can do skilled things ! ( could do them faster if I was 20 years younger :p )

Caveman Jim, PeeJay1313 and ellis36 like this.
  19. OLD Ron

No need for aspirin today ..... so far . :p
    Light rain & in the 80s so not to bad of a day . Didn't get much done yesterday so will try to make up for the slack day today .
    The pepsi truck cave in is worse than I thought & the rescue room is worse than I thought too . I should have left those knives in the attic a while longer . :p Some times inventory is just a crazy thought that should not be acted on ! :eek:
    I think in my case I started inventory because people ask me how many of something I have ...... I hate to say a lot because that is not much of an answer ..... so I end up counting ...... Really never was asked that much in the real world but I see that on line a lot . Seems like a catch 22 ....
    a large # & you are bragging ...... low # & you are not much of a collector . I never thought of the things I like as a competition . The one thing I refuse to do is count 80 or 90 ammo cans of ammo . :p 30 oil lamps ..... that I can do . If we spend time counting things we have it takes away time to go play with them ! :cool: My hope is shop 3 -4 will make all shops more fun to work in & have interesting things to look at too .
    :) They are not to interesting packed in tubs tucked away . :rolleyes:

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. OLD Ron

Forgot to post a couple pictures of the mess ! :p
    still there.JPG
    cavein truck.JPG

The 2 pictures loaded like it was 1 ! now that would be tough to get in the rescue room through the truck cave in ! :p

towboater, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.