The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Work day cut short with a service call & to many phone calls ! :p
    I am now in a comma of sticker shock on a few things I want for shop 3 - 4 . :eek:
    Maybe better think on this a bit & have some more sweet corn ! :p
    At least packing & boxing didn't cost me a new car every time I turn around !

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  2. OLD Ron

Well will try the same plan today . At least it isn't to hot . There is a lot of construction mess to get cleaned up out there . Then it is time to order more rock ! :eek: They needed to make a ramp for the back sides so used the fill I had all flat & to grade inside . Dumping inside the building could get interesting . :p
    My new new starter should be in today so probably will get that in tomorrow & have a fork truck again . :cool:
    Found a truck that I wanted to add to the fleet ...... he changed his mind yesterday . It would have been a nice addition but not that big of a deal .
    The cost of power being brought in the land is making me think of a off grid shop like shop 2 already is . :confused:

towboater and ellis36 like this.

3. OLD Ron

Went to plan B by 7 a.m. :p
    This time it was my doing . Decided that I really needed to catch up on more here than at shop 2 so I stayed in . Paper work was fun as always & was on hold to customer service for 1 hour ...... really 1 full hour ! As I was on hold I called the CEO's office to let them know what I thought of there customer service . Probably won't do any good but made me feel better . :p
    Mad progress around here & it shows so that's a good thing too .:)
    My starter did come in around noon so went & picked it up ...... hope this one is the right one ! :rolleyes:

4. OLD Ron

Looks like a warm day ahead . Upper 80s will slow my old butt down cleaning up at shop 2 . The day of paper work is really tough on the back ...... bad way to start out a clean up day at shop 2 & putting in a starter to boot ! :rolleyes:
    May even go crazy & try to get the rest of the storm door handles on too . :p ( only 3 doors left to do ) If I get a good day in I may order the rock for inside :oops: I really thought I was done with that part . Surprise ! lol
    Oh for the days of stock work .... rust blueing & hunting for gun parts ! :rolleyes:

5. OLD Ron

Was a long hot day at shop 2 .
    Managed to get the starter in ....... it actually worked ! amazing what the right new starter can do . :p
    The Cleary guy showed up ..... another big surprise ..... wanted final payment . Paid him off & away he went . Called to see about rock ..... they said afternoon ...... 1 hour later the rock starts showing up . 10 dump trucks later I had 160 ton of rock spread around .
    Still mdon't have the handles on the 3 doors !
    :p Made it home by 5p.m. & this is a beat up old man ! Stuff some grub in my face & clean up ..... will be ready to get it again . ..... OR
    just go to bed ! :rolleyes:

Caveman Jim, ellis36 and towboater like this.
  6. OLD Ron

Cloudy but in lower 80s for today . :)
    Good day to get at my end of month things & take a break from pushing rock around . My brother was telling what to do for today last night . I explained to him he had no idea what my plans would be & threw in a few magic words so he would understand . :p
    Was just thinking ...... my thread here could be called Diary of a mad man ! :confused:
    I find that if you ask 3 different contractors how to do 1 thing ..... you will get 3 different answers & all are the best way to do it ! :rolleyes:
    I am trying to figure out the best way to keep a cement floor from sweating in the summer ..... answers came back ..... plastic under the floor ...... foam under the floor ..... foam & plastic under the floor ....... foam all around the edges & plastic under the rest . The cost is 2k for the cheapest to 7k for the highest . Big difference & a tough choice to make . :eek: Same with side wall insulation ..... 8k batting ..... 12k spray . The list goes on & on with those types of choices to make ..... staying on a budget is tough . :oops: It would be nice if all were right & the cheapest would work as well as the most expensive .

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and ellis36 like this.
  7. OLD Ron

62 & partly cloudy ...... high around 80 .... looks like a good day ! :)
    End of the month book work today then back to the shop project a bit .
    Plan to stop at a small store out in the sticks today & see what there meat prices are . They have really high quality meat that they buy locally & cut up . Nothing like the big chain stores have . No water added . Hamburger here was up to $6 a pound but is back to 4 now ...... that is still to much for ground meat scraps .
    A small shop here that I went to has a court order to be out today ...... wow that would suck ! On my way home I plan to stop & see how he is doing . CV19 has really beat up a lot of people . Shame that politics hurts so many people just trying to feed there family .
    If things get much more expensive on shop 3 - 4 I may be homeless too ! :p
    Cement & insulation is going to be a killer . Both on my budget & my back . But just think of all the auction treasures I can put in there for safe keeping ! :p

8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ever think about having someone spray foam the inside?

towboater likes this.
  9. OLD Ron

Yes rifling that is what cost the most to do 12k just for the walls . :eek:
    Not cheap to stay warm in Iowa it seems .

Caveman Jim, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  10. OLD Ron

Sun will be up in a couple hours & looks like a nice day on tap here . :)
    A new month & more things to get done ! :rolleyes:
    Last month went well all things considered . I hope to make as much progress this month again or more . Once I can drive the fork truck around the new shops I will get a lot more done there .
    Can't decide on sort & pack or move rock around or clean . Maybe some of each . o_O
    Had a tough time getting my insurance agent yesterday to insure the new shop . That had me saying a few magic words ! :p
    The guy that lost his shop has a great attitude ....... if he can't sell things for a good price ...... he will throw it away so no one gets it . :eek:
    Broke & throwing things away rather than sell for a cheap price ...... funny how different people do things . To me a few bucks is better than no bucks . :cool:

towboater and Caveman Jim like this.
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I’ll leave you to your misery Ron, I’m gonna go fishin...:D:D:D

Hope you have a good day.;)

towboater, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  12. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a cousin with that mentality. His crap is now rusting away hidden in the weeds where at one time he could have gotten a few dollars for it and someone else could have gotten some use out of it. Go figure. He might have even given it away to someone needing it who would have a kind thought about him from time to time!

ellis

13. OLD Ron

Had a really good day here ! :)
    Managed to fill Liz up & couldn't close the back door .:p Ran her out to shop 2 & took out enough to close the door for a unload another day .
    Greed is a funny thing to watch in people . I admit I am tight & like a good deal ..... I like to make a few bucks when I can . That said I don't mind helping people out when I can too . I am happy when people do well & feel bad when they hit the crapper . I try my best not to judge people to harshly when they mess up & just shake my head when they go all in on stupid . A random act of kindness to or from a stranger is always nice . Doesn't happen often but still is nice . :)

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  14. OLD Ron

Fishing would be fun ...... I no longer do it but it still would be relaxing .
    I would guess that my fun is getting into a big mess & finding a way out of it ! :p
    I seem to have a knack for it ! :rolleyes:

towboater, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  15. Rifling82

I’m taking donations for my next gun if you’re in the giving mood ;):p

16. OLD Ron

Was taught ...... charity starts at home ! :p
    I may have some rock left over ...... if you need it ! :rolleyes:

17. Rifling82

:D:D

OLD Ron likes this.
  18. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe we would all agree to that..

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  19. Rifling82

Have you shot the 500 yet PeeJay?

20. OLD Ron

I have a couple tough things on my to do list ....... move that cast iron kitchen stove up a flight of stairs & also move a old time ice box up the same stairs alone . I thought the ice box would be easy ...... Wong ! .... that little puppy is heavy ...... wonder what it is made of inside ? :eek:

towboater, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.