The Good Bad & Ugly shops

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by OLD Ron, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Yes it is & all through this they say what you like to hear ...... then do what they want to . Nothing comes when they tell you it will . Always have an excuse ready when you call & ask what's going on . Materials get mixed or shorted too . Not a great company to deal with . The construction crew ...... could not ask for better guys ! Supply side & transport is really a mess to deal with ...... they get your money & then tell you stories why things aren't the way they said it would be . My tip off to BS was when I was told the building would be up in 2 or 3 days . I said wow this I have to see ...... 2 weeks later still no roof even on the ground to put up .
    If it isn't there tomorrow ..... I will light up the phone & at least let them know what I think of there company & how they do things . :p

2. OLD Ron

Yes I have met outlaw in person .:)
    No BS in our meeting . We both joked around & had a few laughs . :p For my part it was really nice & will do it again any time he would like to . Plus he is welcome at my shops any time & I have told him so & still mean it today . :)

Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.

3. OLD Ron

In my few experiences a lot do this nonsense . The real reasons very but the same results . 40 years ago when I started my company s I chose not to do those things even if the truth cost me an account . ( & some times it did )
    Some things are out of our control but we keep people informed on what is really going on so they know who is causing the problems & are aware that you are doing what you can to get them what they want . You don't get rich doing things that way but can put food on the plate & can sleep well at night . I always felt that you treat a jerk like a jerk but you don't need to become one . Honesty .... integrity & principals can be very expensive to have but in my opinion worth it at the end of the day . I don't give my word easily these days especially if I have to count on others to keep it . :)

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  4. OLD Ron

Night shift brainfarts are just a flowing ! :p
    Getting things ready for my Thursday attack on the world ! :eek:
    Dealing with so many different people is always interesting & some times fun if you want it that way . :cool:
    Big plan is to take the right tools to shop 2 & get that starter sorted out .:rolleyes:
    At the same time check on the building .
    Question ......
    Any sparkeys out there ? I am trying to decide on wire size for my second 200 amp service panel in shop 3 - 4 . I already have a 200 amp one in shop 2 & plan to connect to it for shop 3 - 4 . No power to anything yet so no chance for this old guy to get hurt ! :p I am just getting it all ready to fire it up all at the same time . The bigger load will be on the second panel with the well pump & things going to that one . I would appreciate any input on this . :)
    ( the run is about 100' panel to panel )

5. OLD Ron

Nice day here starting out the day ! :)
    Off to shop 2 with a bag of tools & on the attack with the starter & hope the steel is there .
    If all goes well may even put on a storm door on shop 2 . Have been meaning to get that done for only the past 8 years . :p
    With the heat on the way I need to get in as long as I can . It all depends on who or what tries to screw it up . :p
    Feeling the need to go buy things so maybe a hard days work will beat that idea out of my head ! :rolleyes:

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  6. OLD Ron

Was an interesting day at shop 2 . :p
    The steel didn't show up until 1 p.m. ..... the crew was happy they waited until the heat of the day to drop off steel ! :eek:
    I worked all day on the starter ..... by 6 p.m. it didn't work & have to take it back to the place I bought it . :rolleyes:
    Good news is the roof is 1/2 on ! :cool:
    They plan to be done & roll out around 2 p.m. tomorrow ....... I hope they can pull it off or even sooner .
    The cement guy finally call & sent a bid on the flat work . :rolleyes: I called him & asked what he was smoking :p Guess we will meet again & see what the deal is or not . Loads of fun still ahead ! :confused:
    roof d.JPG roof l.JPG roof g.JPG

Caveman Jim, ellis36 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  7. OLD Ron

Sun coming up & in the 60 s outside . :)
    Looks like another nice day ...... will be getting hot & sticky as the day goes on .
    While sitting on the deck at day light I was thinking shop 3 - 4 is 6 times the size of shop 2 ! :eek: That's good but looks small . Maybe if I downsize a bit it will be big enough ! :p
    Now I move to cement stage . ( if they pull out today ) Hate to see such a good crew go . With overhead door coming on the 4th I need to get those door cement in . That is first on the list to get going .
    Then the fun part ..... lay out plumbing & floor plan . A make it up as you go plan is always interesting ! :p Already thinking about a 8' opening between 3 & 4 instead of a 36" door way . Only problem is that it would cut down wall space to hang treasures on . :rolleyes: A guy doing decorating is always interesting but way better than a woman doing it & ending up with a pink looking rescue room ! :p That one I have already seen .
    Will be spinning the wheels off today with going to shop2 getting that going then soon as the garage opens I need to drive 40 miles to see what is up with the new starter I bought for the forklift . Then back to shop 2 & work until the heat gets to bad . Then some shopping ! The price on lumber I had was $2 cheaper a board than the contractor got for me . It doesn't sound like much but when buying 900 boards it adds up fast . That could be a couple nice guns ! :cool: Makes you think the contractor wants to make a little on what we can buy yourself for less ...... no that can't be what happens ..... :eek:

towboater, Oldoutlaw and ellis36 like this.
  8. OLD Ron

Good day at shop 3 - 4 :)
    Did get hot but a nice breeze & me not doing the work made it a lot better ! :p
    The roof was on by 9 a.m. & all the doors & trim was done by 3 p.m. & they were loaded up & gone by 4 p.m. :)
    Done stamp on the shell !! :)
    I stuck around until 6 & parked a few things inside just to see what it will be like in there .
    done stamp on the frame.JPG inside 1.JPG inside start.JPG

9. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fine looking building, Ron!!!

ellis

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  10. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

You are getting there Ron. Good job!

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  11. OLD Ron

Thanks guys ! I wish I could take credit for the build but am happy I had a good crew so far . It will probably take at least a year to get it all done so you will have to put up with me babbling on about my shop until I get it done ........ but have no fear I will always find something to bore you guys to tears with !
    :p

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

That’s a huge building. May take a while to get it filled.

13. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Once he gets to cleaning out treasures stacked in his house, bet he fills a chunk of it. :D

14. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lookin good big fella!

ellis36, OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  15. OLD Ron

Looks like ugly hot is hitting here today & tomorrow ! :eek:
    Food shopping ...... cleaning ..... paper work ..... & laundry is all on the list .
    Sad truth is I do think I could fill the building by fall if I didn't do a lot of sorting & tossing things out . :(
    Everything that will go in there will get organized right away . Only sell stuff will go in one corner . I rushed getting things stuffed in shop 2 & that ended up with me working outside a lot again . 3 - 4 is 6 times as big as 2 so if I do it right this time I should have a good place to put things & still have space to work & dream up projects . ( all inside )
    I started getting the big things inside to get an idea of what I have to work with for space . Keeping open space will be the key to a working shop . :cool: Clutter is a killer ! :p

towboater and ellis36 like this.
  16. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Today in “The Good Clean & Good Lookin Shop”:p

I’ve got a couple rifles to clean

PANDEMIC, towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  17. OLD Ron

Rub it in on the clean shop ! :p
    Because of the heat I spent the day in the dirty messy shop doing not much of anything but paper work & laundry ! :cool:
    It's ok for now but the new shops will be way different & will change sops 1 & 2 also ! :p
    I will be like a groundhog coming out of his hole to finally meet the spring !:)
    Did manage to reach another cement contractor & will meet him at shop 2 Monday to get an bid . He said he would drop his price .50 a foot because it was such a large inside job . ;) When he can do it will tell me a lot . The other guy talked a lot but didn't do what he said he would right off ...... that is a red flag if it happens before the job even starts !
    I only get to see one gun for the past few months ..... that's the one I carry & a lot of the time it is in the car or truck all alone .
    I do miss spending time in the rescue room messing with treasures . Life was a bit simpler last summer than it is this summer . It will all come back & better if I don't get another big brainfart ! :p

18. OLD Ron

Ugly hot again today ! :eek:
    Storms may be on the way so that will help .
    Plan was to stay inside again today but a service call came in so out I will go . Happy that business is back just sucks in the heat !
    They are talking another shut down so better get what I can while I can . :confused:
    The call is out by shop 2 so may stop at the shop & dream about what I will do with the inside . :p

towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.
  19. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

WOW, that sucker is HUGE!!!! Good for you now kick some concrete contractor butt...:D

OLD Ron likes this.
  20. OLD Ron

Still calling for rain today but not as hot as the last few .
    Plan is to run to shop 2 early & get some clean up done around there . Work on a done stamp for the storm doors & wait for the contractor to show up for cement prices . :eek:
    I bet Cleary rep will be along for his last payment :p He will get a ear full with the last payment ! Will also get told to get that white roof steel off my land or I will charge him rent . :cool:
    Picked up sweet corn at a farmers stand & a melon ...... first of the year ! Added a fresh tomato & a hamburger steak ..... had a happy face ! :p

Caveman Jim, towboater and ellis36 like this.