The gerber ultimate survival knife?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by JMAtactical, May 28, 2013.

1. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

I am seriously considering breaking my normal gerber hating and buying this knife. I have been reading up on the reviews and I used to own one that I put an edge on top of the drop point and smoothed the serrations out for my truck driving brother so he would have a nice defense knife. This knife has the hammer and fire starter and I think i want it.

image-4069633556.jpg

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Looks nice. Prolly too much money for what I tend to like to spend on knives, though.

3. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Well I can get one on eBay for under 49$... The last time I owned on the fire starter fell out of the sheath while I was in the field and was never recovered. I don't know much about the steel and I am trying to figure out if its worth trusting my life possibly to

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The BG stuff tends to be decent for the money. They have had a few failures along the line though. The early machetes had a tendency to separate from the handle if used for chopping. I picked the below pictured for about $35. I'm pretty happy with it aside from the safety orange.

Attached Files:

5. flylo

flylo New Member

This item: Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge by Gerber $33.69 on Amazon with firestarted & sheath & free shipping!

6. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I like mine, I got the parang and the fixed blade

7. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

What about the pro series. I have learned through research that the other knives in this series suck. I want the full tang that you can see. They want over 100$ for it on gerber.com but on eBay I can get on for about 80$ anyone know where I can't find one cheaper

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

IMO for that price you can get a lot better knife.

9. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

My problem is that I dislike the brand and the steel is 7cr17mov. But it literally has everything I want in a survival knife. From the built in sharpener to the fire starter I love that stuff. But the hammer end is my favorite. Do you know of any similar products

10. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

my son has the folder it is built ok,i thought the price was a little steep i think it was over twenty five dallors or better but it seems alright for him i personaly would spend a little more and buy somthing a little better though.

11. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Ya it's not the best product. Gerber has really gone down hill in the last ten years or so

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I used to swear by Gerber, but, honestly,

Glock has a better knife for about 1/3

the money. And I generally hate Glock.

You could get a Kabar for this much.

Gerber has gone to the dogs. The blade

is too short, the steel is questionable,

and it's got features which you should

simply acquire separately, at the cost

of the actual knife quality.

IMO, the BG endorsement is a sellout

on both Gerber & BG's behalf, for the

sake of a quick buck.

Did I mention the bulky, hi-profile sheath

to carry all that crap?

13. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

The Glock knife huh.. I always wanted to buy one I those. I need to check out the specs on it

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

You could do better than a Glock knife. It really isn't made by Glock, no more than Smith and Wesson knives have anything to do with Smith and Wesson. The shape of the Glock knife really isn't that useful, and the steel is, at best, mediocre.

[Edit: I was incorrect. I double checked, and Glock knives arre made by a different division of the Glock company that makes the guns.]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You're missing the whole point. It's NOT

about the Glock knife. It's about the declining

value and quality of Gerber, who used to

stand for something.

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Oh hell. I' ve been *****ing about that for YEARS.

17. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

I believe that Gryllis Survival knife is infamous for the handles breaking...

Love my useless Gerber. No, not the assisted opening one in the drawer that broke the 20th time I tried to use it...

420HC Steel. This is the one of many I DIDN'T return or pass up on... Gerber stopped being quality by and large many years ago. You have to check them carefully!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The Downfall Of Gerber

Until I bought the folder last year, I had not bought anything from them since the early 90's.

19. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Who makes the Glock knife? And the video i watched of them shooting the knife with a hand gun without damaging it or using it to chop cinder blocks in half make me consider buying one. But I trust your opinion and I want to know what you know

20. txpossum

txpossum New Member

First of all, I don't like the design of the knife. It has the badass bayonet look, which is fine on the end of a rifle, but not that handy for most chores. The blade geometry is bad, it's too thick and narrow to be a good cutter, and will have to be re-profiled. Stock, it fall into the "sharpened pry bar" category. Looked at Glock website, it only specified "special hardened steel" as the blade material, have also heard it described as "spring steel" and "high carbon steel". I'm suspicious of knives whose material is hard to pin down. I've seen it mentioned in non-official places that the steel is 1055; have also heard it claimed that it's 1095. The steel is tough, but not hard, about a 55-56 RC rating, which means that even if you change the blade profile to get a good edge on it, it will need to be re-sharpened frequently.

The two best things about it are that it is tough and cheap. Pick one up to leave in the truck, or take camping to to some of the rough chores you don't want to mess up your other knife with, it's okay, but would not want one as my primary blade.