The future of space flight

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ScottA, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

This is beyond cool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh29Pm1Rrc0]Stratolaunch Systems, A Paul G. Allen Project - YouTube[/ame]

And make no mistake. They will succeed at this.

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not only will they succeed but they will do so at well under what the government spends on NASA.

3. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

If ol' Howard Huges was still alive, this would be the "Spruce Goose II". I so hope they succeed - the only way space travel will truly become viable is for major Industry to get into the act. Only they have the deep pockets to fund the initial investments in bases, fuels, and other upfront costs. Show them that huge profits can be gotten 'out there', then just get out of their way! We'll have a Starbucks on Mars before you know it....... :cool:

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think that it would be cool if they made it safe and affordable. Maybe build a space resort and hotel,that would be a b@dass vacation. That would definately be something that i would love to do

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, great. Land on Mars and trash it with a Starbucks.

6. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Just think about shooting competitions in space! Virtually no gravity= no bullet drop. It would take a lot less skill to shoot a mile and hit your target.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

yeah, but the recoil would send you into the Sun.

8. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

True, maybe a wall behind you to keep you from flying off?

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Anchored on what? :confused:

Also, I have heard people ask if a gun would fire in a vacuum because there is no oxygen. It will because the propellants are self-oxidizing, but 100% of your load data would be for nothing.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It would be cool if the video covered re-entry of the spacecraft after the mission is complete. I presume it would be a splashdown in the ocean?? Also, how far off in the future will they have a functional prototype?

11. ScottA

Rocket packs.

12. Sarge22

Sarge22 New Member

No splash down. The craft shown was created using guidelines for what was known as the "XPrize". The contest was to reward the creator of a civilian craft that could reach 100km(62mi) above sea level, return to a landing site, and be made ready for, and be launched again, within (I think) 24 hours. This is the reason why this is so revolutionary and ground breaking. When the "Age of Discovery" was going on, nations competed to try to map the world and therefor lay claim to the spice wealth of the world (spices were more valuable than gold at the time). This was a military endeavor. Then, private corporations sprung up to capitalize on these newly discovered spice producing locations. This was what drove the colonization and use of these areas. My question is this: Except for satellites and tourism, what is going to be the economic drive behind any company capitalizing on civilian access to space? What will be this era's "spice"? Right now it's like a European country in the 1300's developing transatlantic capabilities before knowing what was across the Atlantic.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The launch platform can be re-used as you state, but the rocket in the video does not appear to have the ability to re-enter the atmosphere and land on an airfield like the X-prize winner SpaceShipOne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe the "spice" in space is minerals. That and research.

14. ScottA

I would guess that the carrier will be multi-purpose and launch ballistic rockets such as the one in the video, and likely returnable craft like a larger and more capable Spaceship Two.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am guessing here but my guess is that it is not economically feasible to have a heavy-lift space vehicle that is like the Space Shuttle. The Space Shuttle had a hugely wasteful launch system. The Shuttle could return to Earth but the launch system was lacking. The SS was a victim of economics. That and the fact that the computer systems were not upgradable. They were literally flying the Space Shuttle on 40 year old computers (or maybe 30 year old). SpaceShipOne is designed to be a passenger vehicle that can return to Earth and redeploy within 24 hours and nothing more. It was not designed to place large payloads into space.

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah, and you could probably hit deer at further distances too.