The fruits of my labor

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Sasquatch, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch New Member

Well, I finally managed to get all of the needed parts together to finish my first build. I say "first build", it is the first build just for me. I have built a few others that I never had any intention of keeping. So, this one was a "just the way I want it" build. If I have anything to say about it, it will never leave my possession while I am still alive.

Started with a leftover optic from a previous rifle, it's a cheap red dot on a cantilever mount, but it serves my purposes for now. A set of receivers from Anderson (upper and lower), because I just could not pass up a set for $70 with free shipping. CMMG lower parts kit that was given to me by a friend. A Spike's Tactical Combat Trigger. Some KNS gen 2 mod 2 anti-walk pins. An MFT minimalist stock. Ergo grip. 12" Keymod Rail. A cheapo bipod I found on Amazon for $15. An 18" spiral fluted .223 Wylde barrel and BCG from RSM. And a little paint work by yours truly. I used a rattle can for the paint job, mainly because I know I will get bored eventually and strip it down to repaint it.

Anyway, here are the pics.
    Pic 1 - Red dot being prepped for paint. Yes, those are Qtips, they fill those little holes perfectly.
    Pic 2 - The pile of parts grows.
    Pic 3 - Other parts getting ready for paint
    Pic 4 - Thought my little "Star in a circle" turned out pretty well.
    Pic 5 - The end result.

Attached Files:

2. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So as is what did it cost total in parts and how much time total from unpack through build/prep/paint etc.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch New Member

Art, if I had to put a pencil to it, I estimate around $500 out of my pocket. Give or take a buck or two here and there.

As far as time goes, once I got all the parts, maybe a week to ten days. And that was working on it when I had an hour or two here and there to scuff, prep, prime, paint, assemble, test fire, troubleshoot, etc.

Paint was the most time consuming. I'm guessing maybe a full 4-5 days of working on it off and on.

4. RoscoeThePersuader1985

RoscoeThePersuader1985 New Member

Very nice job. Looks beautiful. Definitely wouldn't mind having one for myself.

5. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So you still put out $1000-$2000 in money, time, and energy. and got what you wanted GOOD FOR YOU Sasquatch, may you have it for a long time!

6. 762

762 Member

looks good! i dig the OD green. there will be many more to come i know! haha. i built my first one in june 2013 and by march of 2015 i had built 3 more AR15s and 1 LR308. it's too easy to buy a BCG on sale one day, a lower a few weeks later, LPK next time someone is having a sale and before you know it you have enough parts to assemble an AR. assembling them from scratch is the only way to go in my opinion. it's cheaper and you get exactly what you want the first time around.

7. kansas45

kansas45 Member

Nice job, Roscoe.

8. RoscoeThePersuader1985

RoscoeThePersuader1985 New Member

What did I do?

9. kansas45

kansas45 Member

You praised Sasquatch on the great job he did on his rifle, of course! :D

10. kansas45

kansas45 Member

Great job, Sasquatch. Refinishing a rifle is more work than most folks think. I do like that star!