The Freedom Group Family of Companies

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MCarter788, Nov 28, 2012.

1. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I was curious what opinions people had about this company. From what I understand, Freedom Group has purchased many companies; Remington®, Bushmaster® Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms™, Marlin®, H&R®, The Parker Gun™, Mountain Khakis®, Advanced Armament Corp. ®, Dakota Arms®, Para™ USA and Barnes® Bullets. It seems to me like the large group is a very good source of jobs in the firearms market, but for some reason I have this feeling that this is a big bad company that is just bringing down the quality of what used to be well respected companies. Should I take precautions if I am interested in buying a product that this company owns? Or is this a good thing in the firearms community, and I should be supporting this huge partnership of companies? Thanks in advance.

2. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

There are several threads on this. Most people agree quality is going downhill. Bushmaster was bought by Remington and they closed bushmasters Windham plant and laid off a lot of people. Now Richard dyke bought the Windham plant and opened Windham weaponry. (Formerly bushmaster). Personally since most of the companies in this list were iffy on quality to begin with I have no problem boycotting them. Except for Remington I've never purchased anything from these companies. I own an R1 Remington 1911 and well see if it works or not. I'm slightly worried.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dakota is owned by freedom now? Damn it. A Dakota rifle is practically my holy grail of rifles (I don't tell just anybody).

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

mcarter788 it took you this long to fugure that out, hehe. Nothing good can from it.
    Guess you have one of the more acurate remmys made by your handle

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The ones that got bought werent bought because they were doing good and or producing great products to begin with.

Freedom group just retrained marlin workers and im betting that higher quality products will and are currently being produced. My marlin 45-70 is very recent production and is very good and very accurate

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I'm not sure if Jon was in on earlier thread but a member gave a good account of how hard it is to retool a facility & train a workforce. Quality control is difficult even for well established firms.

It is hard for some of us who remember Marlins better days to see what is being put on the shelves today. Although, I'm glad Jon got a good one.

The positive side: CAD-CAM manufacturing will produce higher tolerance products but wherever human beings are involved, accidents/errors will happen.

The negative side: even a broke clock is right twice a day.

It's your hard earned money - take a look yourself & I wish you the best of luck.