The first time you went hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by rman598, Nov 16, 2013.

1. rman598

rman598 New Member

What animal? How old were you? How did you feel?

2. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

My first animal, period, was a squirrel I shot with my dad's 870 Wingmaster when I was 10. I was extremely excited.
    My first deer was with my Winchester .30-30 when I was 14 and my knees were knocking before and after I shot it.
    Good memories. :)

3. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

I was 14. my uncle took me dove hunting I did so horribly bad because I've never fired shotgun before note I was shooting rifles so I just aimed at the Dove pulled the trigger and shot behind. 75 rounds one bird down

4. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

I was using a shotgun not rifles my training was on rifles. just to clarify

5. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I've never been hunting, would like to one day, I did kill a lizard that sone kids were torturing at Boy Scout camp once; does that count?

6. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

121 lb doe. I was 9, it was the first time I went hunting. I was using a Remington Model Seven youth in .243 Win. Got her through the lungs at 85 yards with factory iron sight.

7. Mouser

Mouser Member

My first hunt was a walk along with my brother, dad and uncle... pheasant hunting in MI...I was maybe 7 or 8. I was fascinated...my dad used to shoot trap and reload shells so my brother and I tagged along sometimes to the trap shoot.

I grew up in Indiana and as we got older, we accompanied my dad and uncle on quail hunting trips occasionally in NW Indiana and I was hooked. A tornado hit our house and laid down the trees in our area when I was in the third grade...at age 11, I got my first single shot shotgun and the tornado inadvertently created some of the best rabbit cover I have ever seen...rabbits, squirrels and later deer and ducks as I got older.

I don't hunt much any more but my love of the outdoors and rural living/lifestyle was cemented at an early age.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I was probably 7 or 8 shooting rabbits with my Dad, dang I miss that !..............

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

First trip 45 years ago when I was 13 , 12ga spring field pump shotgun sitting on a swamp buggy with a man that worked for my dad. Hauled to his camp at the butt end on 12mile prairie in south florida. No deer killed and scetters eat me up. Had a great time. Did kill a deer a couple days later and learn how to clean a deer and puke at the same time. ha . Miss that ole camp and the man that taught me about hunting. he been gone 4 years now but raise a daughter than another deer slayer. To broke down to hunt much anymore too.

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

First time I went hunting I was with my older brother. We were hunting for rabbit and squirrel. I didn't get anything but I will always cherish those memories.

I also remember my first few times out deer hunting with my brother and grandpa. Took me 3 years before I brought one home.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  11. Donn

Donn Active Member

Pheasant, when I was 18. Didn't score till the second or third time out. Only thing I ever saw deer hunting was a coyote. Lost interest after I got out of the Army. The idea of humping a rifle thru the woods really didn't appeal to me any more.

12. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

This morning was the first time out ever. I didn't get any meat for the frig. But I have to say it was awesome just to be out there.

13. towboater

towboater Active Member

Snipe hunting. Didn't see a single one. Got left holding the bag.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The first time I went hunting we didn't have guns. We used torches to drive game off the edge of a cliff.

15. towboater

towboater Active Member

That was a long time ago. :D

16. rman598

rman598 New Member

Torturing a lizard? what kind of sick kids do that?

17. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

I honestly don't remember,it would have been with the single shot .410 I had and I believe it was either rabbit or squirrel but it might have been pheasant and quail too,we hunted squirrel,rabbit,pheasant,quail,raccoon,ground hogs and fox back then around here so it could have been any of the above ;).I started when I was 13 and I couldn't wait because as far back as I can remember all I wanted to do was go hunting. I started shooting starlings and sparrows with our BB gun at about age 6,does that count???

18. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

First kills 7 pheasants with a savage .222/20 ga over under from the deck of a combine while my stepdad was harvesting corn I believe I was about 12. Felt fine had a lil bit of ajada from overeating but felt fine. First deer 3 pt buck with the .222/20 ga savage from the deck of the combine at 13. Man good times on that combine.