The FIRST Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Nov 22, 2012.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While you gather with family and friends, eat, watch the game- consider this-

The first thanksgiving in America did not involve Pilgrims, Plymouth, or New England. berkley plantation.jpg

It took place in Charles City County, VIRGINIA, at Berkeley Plantation.
    berkeley 1st thanksgiving.jpg

December 4th, 1619. On safely arriving in Virginia, the leader of the new colony ordered a day of prayer and thanksgiving for their safe arrival. Not a year later, but on arrival. On the banks of the James River. This was formally recognized by President John Kennedy in the 1960s. This was 2 years prior to the settlers in Plymouth Colony.

Berkeley was also the home of two US Presidents, and the site where the bugle call "Taps" was created. Berkeley_plantation_harrison_home.jpg

As you gather with friends and family this year, spare a minute for the memory of people that were facing an immense task- settling an entire country- but took the time to say thanks.

Y'all have a good day- and thanks.

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the history lesson C3. Happy thanksgiving to you and your's.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Confederate Country :)

4. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Cool lesson C3! I've always found it interesting how these things get distorted over the years.

5. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Interesting! I wonder what things i could have been doing in school instead of learning about how the indians saved the pilgrims on thanksgiving! :p