The first shot..

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Secondhand_Hero, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

i'm new here and can already tell i'm going to like it here.. So i figured i'd get it started with a friendly discussion!
    What was your experience like the first time you'd ever shot a gun?

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Welcome! And I'm not quite sure I can remember my first time lol

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I was about 5. Dad's Marlin lever action Mdl 39. Hit the tin can and sent it sailing. I was about 10 ft tall. :p

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

The first memorable shot was with my Daddys Hawkins muzzle loader. I can't remember if it was a 50 or 54 caliber. I was about 8 or so years old. Daddy loaded it up for me and told me to shoot the burn barrel. I remember it was all I could do to hold that gun up, much less steady. I remember pulling the trigger and my butt hitting the ground in the same instant.

I don't know if Daddy fixed up a hot load or what. He has since passed and in a stroke of irony he left it to me. It's still over at my Moms house. I should get that thing, if for no other reason to see what happens when my son shoots it. Ha

5. Secondhand_Hero

Haha, that's about how i felt! i was 5 or 6 years old and Pah let me shoot his 12 guage Ithica with that solid, steel stock for your firing pleasure. Damn thing weighed about as much as me, i swear. Didn't even have a target, i just had to prove to him i was man enough with my over half decade of life to handle a man's gun. Thing swept me off my feet like i was a ragdoll but she never left my shoulder! i was the manliest man since Paul Bunyan ;)

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

We're counting real guns right? With casings, powder and primer? That would be my dad's sears revelation (marlin 60 I believe) after months of practicing with my daisy quicksilver he let me shoot his .22. At ten yards I shot a bumblebee off a flower (yes, on purpose). I was 6 I think.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Single shot Stevens .410.

8. Secondhand_Hero

i'm sorry to hear that, maybe unearthing that beauty is the thing you didn't know you needed. My grandpa loaded a slug in for me, the gun nearly pulled me right down. i didn't even worry about holdin it straight, just holding ONTO it!

9. Secondhand_Hero

Marlins have always been a pleasure to shoot, i've actually never fired a Stevens before though.. i've heard mixed reviews so i've strayed away from them

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I am 50 now, so it has been more than 40 years since I first fired that Stevens .410. The gun must be 60 or 70 years old now, my oldest brother still has it.

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I picked up a double barrel 410 stevens for a hundred bucks. It has a case color reciever. When we shoot skeet it's what I enjoy shooting. Wish the guy had 10 of them at that price.

12. Secondhand_Hero

Well if you avid shooters recommend Stevens i'll have to look into them! i'm not much of a .410 guy (it makes me feel less of a man, much like light beer) but if it's worth shooting then it's worth shooting plain and simple! From what i've heard they're fairly iffy like savages or Olympic Arms

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

My other shotgun is a mossberg 590 in 12 gauge. I hit just as many skeet with the 410, and I don't feel like been trading punches in the shoulder with a mule kick. As for feeling less of a man, not when you can hit the same target with a fourth of the shot. The only thing that hurts about the 410 is the cost of the shells.

14. Secondhand_Hero

The only .410 i think i'd really ENJOY would be out of the Taurus but that'd be one heck of an expensive playtoy.. And speaking of expensive do you know much about AR15's?

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

The is an ar thread. You will find all the info there.

16. Secondhand_Hero

Well this would be more of a general question.. Bushmaster, to the best of my knowledge, makes one of if not the best, AR15's there is. But they are pricey. With an active duty law enforcement discount they cost $1500, but i'm seeing a licensed FFL dealer selling one for $700. Would this be possible or more along the lines of a sham?

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I was 10 and my moms friend was dating a state trooper. He drove me out to a field and let me shoot his .357. I remember loving it, but I couldn't swim for about 2 weeks afterwards because my damned ears hurt too much!

18. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Bushmaster is actually more of a middle of the road AR, you can buy a nice new Colt AR for $1500.and yes I have seen basic bushmaster carbines go for 700-800. Don't let that deter you from bushmaster though,they are solid rifles from what I've read and my experiences with my buddies bushy's

Edit: I should also add that the price depends on the particular model from any maker,that 1500 price tag for a bushmaster you see is probably for a supped up model with all the fancy bells and whistles. Not just a plain jane AR model

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I was raised in a "No Guns" household. My first time shooting was at a friend's house shooting skeet when I was 9 or 10 years old. My parents had no clue. I bought my first gun when I was 17 (still have it, Model 60) and my second a year or so later (still have that as well).

Scary part is that when I bought the Model 60 I had no freaking clue about semi-auto firearms and due to TV or whatever I expected that when I shot at a hillside 200 yards away I should see a spectacular response from the target. I took it out into the hills and shot it. There was no response from the hillside and when I cycled it manually I couldn't figure out why there was a live round in the chamber every time. I was totally ignorant. I really scares the living daylights out of me to know how ignorant I was. I could have easily killed somebody out of my ignorance.

20. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Going to shoot for the first time ever on 01-02-12