The Eyes have it.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by danf_fl, Jul 14, 2011.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For the last few months, I've been having trouble focusing on the front sight when pistol shooting.

No matter what I did, I could not keep the front sight in a clear picture.

Finally went to the doctor, got a new prescription for glasses (trifocal no less).

My shooting has improved as well as seeing more things I've been missing.

Bottom line: get your eyes checked regularly.

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Ya know, I've never had my eyes checked....other then at the DMV and boot camp.

3. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Can you see the target clearly with tri-focals?

4. danf_fl

Clear enough to hit the center. I was taught that the front sight should be clear with a little "haze" around rear sight and target.
    The way my trifocals are, I have front sight clear and target is clear enough to tell if it is a bad guy or good guy.

5. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I don't understand??? What is this "clear picture" that you speak of? :D

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have progressive lenses. Never wore glassen until 2 years ago. It is a major pain to look through a scope with the progressives. I can still pass the DMV eye exam without the glasses, but can't read a lick without them.

7. danf_fl

I have astigmatism. With my eyesight, if the focal plane is not correct, everything has a "shadow" image even if I cover one eye.
    It is like seeing "cross-eyed" with one eye (that is why I have an odd skew on things)

My new glasses allow me to focus on something and have a clear picture without the double image. As such, I can actually see the front sight now instead of multiples.

But if I have to tilt my head sideways to read something (like a cable designation), all bets are off.

This has a good example of my eyesight:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism
    I have trouble with horizontal focus. If you look at the figure, you will see an example (but mine was worse).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  8. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

:) I know *exactly* what you mean. I still have clear memories of camping and watching the moons above. I can see make out the red dot on a target about 5 yards away, but beyond that it's just a rough guess based on the sight picture on the black. I remember the first time wearing glasses and being amazed to actually see individual leaves on trees. I could actually make out individual toes on my feet..

Funny thing too.. People said I was a lot friendlier after getting glasses.. Used to be that I couldn't tell who was passing me in the hallway so I just ignored them.. :/

9. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

The eyes have it

I have to wear bifocals. I noticed that if I looked thru the part that would let the sight focus the target was blurred and when I looked at the part to get the target focused the sights were blurry. I ended up getting a crimson trace laser which is the greatest thing since white sliced bread.

10. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I hate wearing glass's, they're uncomfortable and hurt the bridge of the nose and ears after awhile. I really lucked out at the DMV with my eye test a few months ago. When told to read line #4, I almost asked if she would allow me to try line #1. I read it to her as fast as I could and hoped for the best. I couldn't tell a C from a O, etc. Guess she wasn't listening or didn't care :rolleyes:

Time to start shooting IDPA with my 12 ga. instead of .45