The English Language.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by willshoum, Sep 24, 2010.

1. willshoum

willshoum New Member

I've looked and did not find prior thread. So here we go, In the english language one word can mean many things. Take for instance the word dish. eg. Man that red head is one hot dish. Or I got off the cable and went with the Dish. I install satelite Dishes, or I broke all the dishes in the sink. :eek::) Lets see what English Language has to offer. :D

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll play. First, I have to go to the head, so I must get to the head of the line if I don't, that won't be using my head. Later, I may get a little...Ooops:eek: this is the open forum. I am going to head to bed.

3. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Beavers chew on wood.
    Sometimes wood is used to stab a beaver.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Shameless cut and paste:

Do you ever think about UP?

It's a two-letter word that has lots of meanings. It's hard to even categorize the iffy meanings.

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we waken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP?

Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends; we use it to brighten UP a room; polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning and we close it UP at night.

How's this: Are you feeling UP today? If not, take UP to two Aspirins and cozy UP to your pillow.

We seem to be mixed UP about UP.

To be knowledgeable of the proper uses of UP, look UP UP in the dictionary. In a desk-size dictionary the entries takes UP almost a page of definitions and add UP to about thirty of them.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP.

When it rains, it wets UP the earth. When it doesn't rain for a wile, things dry UP.

The kids raised on a farm knows about a cow drying UP and all about going down town for some things and going UP town for other things and if some kid says the wrong thing, the reply is "UP yours."

One could go on and on, but, since it's UP to me, I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so I'll shut UP.

Now don't go getting UPPITY with me.

Sorry I brought it UP in the first place.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If ya ain't sorry, somebody may sass you, and if you go UP side his head, the judge just may send you UP the river until your time is UP.:p

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And why does a shoemaker have the same name as a deep dish berry pie (cobbler)

Why are employees always disgruntled? Nobody ever get gruntled around here?

How come ball ammo is not shaped like a ball?

Whyizit we always have a pair of pants? When I pant, it usually has nothing to do with clothes. Ever go in a store and ask for a pant? And what can you draw with a pair of drawers?

Why am I still up posting this stuff? I need to head UP and TURN in. Night, ya'll.

7. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

You can lead a horse to water but a bullet is made of lead.

You were going to read a story but you had already read it to your child at bedtime last night.

8. CGO

CGO New Member

I'm fed up with Obamas stupidity.
    I fed the animals this morning and now their all happy.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

And why does someone "take" a $hit? Wouldn't you rather leave it.

(Props to George Carlin)

10. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

They're looking for their car, but it's no longer there.

11. maierar

maierar New Member

Every one I ever worked with was a gruntled employee.

12. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

Why do we scrub up, but we wash down?

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Everyone loves a shady tree on a summer day but we worry about the shady character down the street. :)

14. bkt

bkt New Member

There was pear was next to a pair of payers. While the payers worked to pare down their obligations, their car was stolen. Now they're forced to walk as a pair with a pear.

15. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I think nothing beats $hit and f*ck in having more meanings or use in the English language.

I wonder why. :D

16. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

Where'd you get this, I just read that yesterday in the Buffalo Gap political newspaper. :confused:

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

'I' before 'e' except after 'c' or when sounding like 'ay' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'. Now, that is solid science.

18. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

point to ponder

"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence?:)

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why is it we park in a driveway, but drive on a parkway?

20. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

back to ''if''

If someone with a split personality threatens to commit suicide, is it a hostage situation?