The end of the Cougar

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by Roger M. Woodbury, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Roger M. Woodbury

Roger M. Woodbury Member

I returned to shooting at all less than four years ago. I began to shoot again using a very nice, near new S&W Mod 67 .38. After a short while I began to think I wanted a semi-auto of some sort to carry, something that wouldn't imprint like the larger wheel gun.

After a LOT of hand wringing and reading, I bought a Stoeger Cougar. I just could NOT beat the price at under $300 new, and about $320 after mailing and paying my FFL fee. Mine is in 40 caliber.

The Cougar is a very smooth shooting pistol with little felt recoil and near-negligible muzzle flip. I feel it is gentler to shoot than the Smith & Wessons I have owned in the past with the exception of the Model 10 with it's heavy barrel. The Cougar is exactly what I had hoped it would be: a Beretta in all but the front end name!

I own three magazines for it now, and went to the manufacturer's website (www.stoegerindustries.com). To my surprise the pistol is NOT listed on the website.

I sent Stoeger an inquiry about the pistol and two days later got a short reply that they were no longer manufacturing the Cougar at all.

So it's "coke bottle" guns for all in the future, I guess.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like a great gun. Happy shooting.

locutus likes this.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you like the Cougar and are forced to buy a polymer pistol, do check the Px4s. They don’t seem like much when you look at them or handle them in a shop. But, when you get to shooting them they tend to hold more pleasant surprises for shooters, than negatives.

4. Roger M. Woodbury

Roger M. Woodbury Member

I really do like the Cougar. The only drawback I feel is the gun is thick and presents issues when carrying it if concealment is desired. I don't much care one way or another about concealing it when I am carrying it because Maine requires no license to carry concealed and I have a permit anyway. But it is BIG and holsters are somewhat problematic although I have solved that with a really decent and inexpensive leather holster from a seller on eBay.

I carried the gun just after the new holster arrived to try the holster out. It was comfortable and being winter, I wore a wool shirt/jacket which covered me down below my hips. My wife and I were walking through Walmart when she put her arm through mine and her hand hit the holstered Cougar. "Are you packing," she asked. Later she saw me walking along and told me she could tell I was wearing the Cougar.

I did handle a PX4 Storm in the gun shop one day about two years ago. It feels very much the same as the Cougar to me, although the new PX4 Storm "compact carry" is slimmer and I'd like to see one of those one day, IF the retailers ever get one in stock.

Now if I want to carry something slimmer and a bit lighter, I carry the Steyr S40 and that won't imprint much at all compared to the Cougar.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have been carrying a Px4 Compact for a bit under a year now. I didn’t buy the Compact Carry model, but did replace the controls with the same low profile safety levers and slide release, which makes it about as thin as my Glock 19. I carry it in a holster by JM Custom Kydex and it seems to carry quite nicely in that holster.

Another pistol of similar dimensions is the CZ P07 which I also like very much. These two mid sized pistols do the majority of my carry duties.

6. potmetal

potmetal Member

I just picked up a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm at a local shop, it came with 3 mags. It's a great gun and there's lots of them out there so it should be many years before the stop in production should have any effect.
    I intend to shoot mine and enjoy it.