The Elvis Thread!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dallas53, Dec 30, 2018.

1. 1954 to 1958, the early years.

28.6%
  2. 1960 to 1967, the middle years.

14.3%
  3. 1968 to 1977, the later years.

57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

I make no apologies for being an unashamed Elvis fan, and have been for many years. one thing I have noticed among even Elvis fans, that they have certain eras of his life and career that are their favorites, or they are partial to. the early years when he first started out and was becoming a huge star. then the middle years, when he was doing lots of the movies, and much of his music was music from his movie soundtracks, and then the later years up to his death in 1977.

this is the way I broke down the years, or eras of his career. 1954 to 1958, the early years, when he was first starting and becoming a huge star, 1960 to 1967, after he got out of the Army and pretty much was just making movies, and 1968 to 1977, the years after he got out of his movie contracts and went back to live performances.

personally, I'm partial to the later years, as his voice was more mature, and had better range and sound, and he was choosing much better material to record.

JRDallas likes this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I was never a big Elvis fan.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I was never a big Elvis fan.

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

not everyone is. I just got introduced by my father at a very early age. he's still fan of his music. I got to see Elvis in concert twice.

JRDallas and winds-of-change like this.
  5. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I appreciated Elvis' response when someone would ask his opinion on a political issue, "Man, I'm just a singer"

MisterMcCool and Dallas53 like this.
  6. Dallas53

this video of one of his press conferences in New York in 1972. at mark 4:36 he addresses that.

from all I have seen, Elvis never really talked about his political views. he seemed to keep them to himself.

JRDallas and schnuffleupagus like this.
  7. Dallas53

at the Houston Livestock and Rodeo concerts he did in 1970 and 1974. these were the two concerts my father took me to when we lived in Houston.

JRDallas and schnuffleupagus like this.
  8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I liked a few of his songs, but was not really a fan. In the early 60s, I used to go to the movies with my older sister who thought Elvis was wonderful.

schnuffleupagus and Dallas53 like this.
  9. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I would like to hear the music from the alternate universe where Col. Parker was unable to monopolize the musical catalog of Elvis.
    He made so many songs for movies, of movies, because of movies.

Hopefully, in that universe, Hank Williams lived a longer life where he and Elvis were able to record together.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Dallas53

Parker was nothing more than a con man and crook, and he used Elvis for way too many years. he got Elvis into the movie contracts because Elvis was his cash cow. and the sad fact is, Elvis put a lot of trust in Parker.

there is no telling where Elvis could have went if he had a good manager, instead of a crook.

and Hank Sr. left way too early as well.

JRDallas and Billy9mm like this.
  11. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Being from Memphis I'd have to vote greaser Elvis especially his Sun Records stuff. It's amazing the talent that started out at Sam Phillip's Sun Studios. Besides Elvis you had Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich, Ike Turner, B. B. King. It has as much claim as anywhere to being the birthplace of Rock and Roll.

The father of one of the first girls I ever dated was a fairly well known singer here in Memphis back in the early 50s. He had a bunch of Elvis stories. Just a shy kid who never said anything but yes sir and no sir.

He was well known for his generosity. No telling how many cars he gave away. One story had him pulling into the Lincoln dealership here in Memphis and spotting an older black lady in a nurse's uniform staring in the front window at the cars. He walked outside and asked the lady what she was looking at. The lady replied all of the beautiful new cars. Elvis said do you see the one right here? Well I just bought it for you and handed her the keys.

Love him or hate him the man could sing.

towboater, ellis36 and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Dallas53

Elvis was well known for his generosity. back in 1961, he did a benefit concert in Hawaii with all the proceeds going to building the monument over the USS Arizona that was sunk in WW2. many people never knew his donation was one of largest by a single person to raise money for the monument.

13. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

At the Meadows last nite.. New Years Eve Party, a big party girl from New Mexico told me on first impression.... I resembled a mature Elvis because of my wonderfull hair style.
    Maybe because, I also, won the baked Ham Eating contest, last week.

Rifling82 and Dallas53 like this.
  14. Dallas53

hmm.....New Years Eve party, big party girl......Me thinks she might have bee a little snockered! :D:p

JRDallas likes this.