The economic problems hit home!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mesinge2, May 7, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

My sister comes up to me today, crying, and tells me that she is going to lose her house, can't make the monthly payment, and she has sold all her guns. I was shocked. I asked "why hasn't [insert her husband's name] paid the rent?" She tells me that he was fired three months ago in order for the company to cut costs. What's worse is that she sold her guns to a gun store that ripped her off. She got $850 total for: an IWI Jericho in .40 S&W, a Springfield XD tactical in 9mm, a Taurus model 85, a Taurus Model 608, and an EAA Witness Match 9mm.

I calmed her down and we talked for a while. I paid her morgage payment by phone, gave her $2,000, and my S&W m67 with some ammo for the house (they live in a shady area). Then I told her to wait at my house with my niece until she calmed down saying that "I didn't want her driving upset," while I was going to get dinner. Anyways, I went to her house and gave her husband a piece of my mind. I know it is not his fault for losing his job, but he should have [blanking] told me. He simply said he felt like less of a man and was embarressed. I yelled at him for letting his pride get in the way and he had to calm me down.

I'll try to cut short my rant, so, I'll finish saying he and I picked up dinner and when back to my house for the night. They went home in the morning.

Again, sorry for the rant, but I have always been protective of my sister,
    thanks for listening.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You're a good person for doing something and not just talking about how terrible it all is. :)

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I can understand your frustration. I have a sister who has a great husband who went into business for himself. Opening his own auto repair shop.

When I found out, I was furious, because it was less than 2 years ago, not the time to just go quitting a perfectly good job with benefits and opening your own your business.

I checked in frequently - and while things didn't take off, they hovered well for the first year and then they got high enough off the ground to skim the trees for the better part of the second year.

Needless to say, I salute you for what you did and respect you for taking a stand on your sister's behalf.

You are a good man Charlie Brown. ;)

JD

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Props brother!

This whole thing isn't going to get better anytime soon!

Good luck and my prayers are on the way for you and your sister.

5. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I just wanted to say that I think it was very nice what you did for your sister.I understand you going over there and getting on to her husband. I am still kinda old school when it comes to men taking care of the women.I admire you for helping her out and being a wonderful brother!!:)

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've been seeing the results of the crappy economy for over a year. I've bought a few guns I didn't need from friends that were strapped for cash. Sadly, I think it will be a long time before things get better. Keep the faith though...

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

You did the right thing looking out for family. I would follow up with her husband with a more even keel to make sure there aren't hard feelings and let him know you were just being protective of your sister. Don't apologize or say you did anything wrong but make sure the two of you are cool. The reason I say this is because he is your sisters husband and you don't want bad feelings getting in between you and your sister. Family is more important than anything. Just my $.02

8. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I talked with him a little and I think that were are ok. He was still kind of upset though.
    I am taking him to the career center in our area tomorrow to look for another job. IMO, There
    is no excuss for him not looking sooner. I mean waiting 3 months to even start looking, please!

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Cool. Good luck with the job hunt for him.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Props for helping family, I fully understand your stress with the hubby waiting three months to start looking for a job. Lose a job, start looking for a new one the next day! You only get a three month pass if you have the money in the bank to cover you bills. Now if your trying to find a job it takes time but you have to make the effort. If you spent 40+ hours a week working and find yourself with out a job spend at least that much time to find your next job.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You done good there sir, it is always a good feeling to help out a family member in a moment of dire financial crisis, especially when you have the resources. :D

Now, get that bro-in-law on a bus or POV headed to Louisiana to get one of them good paying jobs from BP helping to clean up that damn oil leak SNAFU.

Jack

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear you on the protective brother thing OP; i have three sisters. Make sure her hubby has signed up for unemployment benefits & such; our tax dollars (and his former company's payroll tax) should be put to good use rather than misused as they have been by soooo many people. The guy might also benefit from some job seeker articles & resume making books if he has been in the same job for a while.

Last edited: May 8, 2010