The Double Standard Police

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by M14sRock, Oct 16, 2010.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Threads get old, and are often forgotten or lost in the forum.

Then, someone runs across the thread, posts a reply and reopens the thread. Other people join in and the thread has new life breathed into it. Now it's not dead anymore.

But eventually someone indignantly jumps in to criticize the fact that some old, dead, thread has been brought back to life.

OR, this happens.....

A new member asks a questions and someone jumps all over them and tells them to try the search function to get their question answered (presumably in one of those old necro threads). That always seems to me like they are being told to "shut up and not ask questions".

Seems to me like there may not be a way to win.

Personally, I like seeing old threads reopened. If people are posting in it, there must be a reason. Maybe it has become relevant again? Maybe it is just an interesting topic? Either way, it is still valid information.

And this much IS true. One person's "Dead/Necro Thread" is another person's "Clean, new info".

So if you don't like necro threads, maybe staying away from them is a good idea? Do we really need a "Necro thread Police Force"? If so, maybe threads should all have an "auto lock down" feature? After 30 days with no activity the thread gets locked?

I'd rather see them remain open, so that they can be brought back to life when the time is right.

2. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I concur.

Zombie threads "neither pick my pocket nor break my leg." I DO wish that avatars stayed with the post though. I might be amused to see what some of you old timers were sporting back in the day. Maybe your avatars were in corduroy with bowl cuts back in '08 :p

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I hear what your saying but I think there are two ways that old threads are revived. First would be adding new information, if someone asks for additional information not already covered or adds something relevant to the thread, this is a positive thing and adds to the content on the boards. The other way that old threads are brought back is with useless info being added. Simply saying "yeah 1911's rock" or "Glocks suck" is not adding anything to the thread and it's annoying seeing a year old post brought back to life in that fashion.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

This most recent revival of a couple of threads was due to the resident handful. :rolleyes:

I was unsure of his motives, so we exchanged PM's and the threads are alive out of honest interest.

If you revive an old thread with new info, or honest questions, that is great.

If you are reviving old threads to pad your post count, not so much. :mad:

JD

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Attached Files:

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been known to post about the dust accumulation in a thread. I will reconsider.

7. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Well I got a new project out of an old thread, range report of a 10mm, .357 mag., and .357 sig.
    Thanks Shihan, no really, great question, and I’m a man of my word, so since I don’t have any FTF bush craft projects to work on (Where’s Francisco?) I’ll get to it as soon as possible.
    I was kinda embarrassed after answering a hmmmmm, very interesting, 3 year old Glock thread though!
    The guns to be used in the test are a Kimber, Sig, and Ruger:)

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Concour with you on this JD. Sometimes I've been reticent in reviving an old necro-thread, intending to ask new questions etc but have thought "hmm maybe too ancient to bring it back to life" :eek: If FTF members agree on this, then cool. I won't be so tentative in future.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There is no reason to have 20 threads about the same thing. If you find a thread that interests you and you have questions or new information:

By all means, breath some like into it. :)

If your only comment is "cool" then we can probably do without having it revived. :rolleyes:

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Zactly............! :cool:

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I am not padding my post count!

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I don't disagree with the OP, and I am often guilty of chiding thread resurrectors. But I try to limit that to "newbies" who, in my opinion, just don't feel like digging or using the "search" feature to find information they're looking for.

I know I've read somewhere here that digging up old threads is frowned upon, so I guess I'm not alone in the way I feel.

Regarding post counts.....does anybody REALLY care about that?

13. RetiredLEO

RetiredLEO New Member

Some days my low post count depresses me so much; well, its all I can think about.
    Now, I am off to reanimate thousands of old threads.
    I will be busy for the new couple of weeks, excuse me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  14. c3shooter

Well, maybe padding a little. :D

My 2¢ worth- some threads should be DNR (do not resuscitate), if they are addressing a changing circumstance. (My neighbor offered to sell me his LC Smith shotgun for $100- is that a good deal- from 2008)

Some postings are dross, and like the stuff that floats on a casting pot, should be skimmed off.

Some postings should require the poster to wear a tattoo that says "POST COUNT WHORE"- things like digging up a 5 year old post on Browning shotguns so you can enlighten us to the fact that "Full auto ROCKS!" Nothing else- just that.

Zombie posts (living dead) do not bother me IF it is supplying information that may still germane, and of fairly broad interest- someone asks for DOM manufacture on Browntonchester, and you just found a NOT ALREADY POSTED IN THE THREAD website on them.

Personal minor irritant on ANY forum- Posters that do NOT read the BLEENING question, or answers already posted. That includes the thread originator that does not use or even read good resources given to them.

BTW, did anyone look at how old THIS thread is? Geez!

Just kidding!:rolleyes:

15. jca1

jca1 New Member

I'll post how I feel about this thread, in this thread, in 2012.

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You'd better make sure to do that before 12-21-12. You know why...:cool:

17. c3shooter

I have friends that are Jewish- it is the year 5771 to them. If the Mayan thing starts to fall apart, I can go hang with them, and use their calendar. Shalom, y'all.