the difference between a remington 770 action and a remington 700 action is???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ryno702, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Trying to figure out the difference. Thanx

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ryno, there is a big difference between the two. nothing will interchange as they are two completely different actions. the 770, the bolt is sloppy, the trigger is heavy and feels gritty, the triggerguard is molded into the stock, and the it and finish is crappy. i had one once, couldn't wait to get rid of it. if you have to, save up a little more and buy the M700 instead, way better rifle. if your budget only allows that price range, check out the Savage Axis, the Stevens 200, or the Marlin X7 series of rifles. much better in the long run.

3. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Thanx axxe. I am saving for a r700. Was just curious. I had a 700 once but had to get rid of it and now really miss it. Didn't get to learn much about them then and Getn more into it now. I like the options you have with a 700 and mainly the reliability factor. I wanna build it so that's y I was asking about the "Actions".
    Do you know nething about the Browning A bolt? Just starting to look at those too.

4. Axxe55

the browning rifles are very good rifles and are probaby a little more expensive than the remingtons. if you are looking to build of the M700 action, check out Brownells website for bare remington M700 actions for sale. this was the way i went for my custom rifle build. if this is an option that appeals to you, have your LGS or gun dealer order it from Brownells for you, when it comes in, go fill out the paperwork and your on your way to building a rifle. i will provide as much information as needed if you want more about it.

5. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Cool. I appreciate it. I'm sure ill ahave q's...

6. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Brownells doesn't have any. How much did you pay for yours? The action that is? I need the long action for 30.06 rite? Thanx

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

The only comment I have is that I have never heard anything good about the Remington 770 from anybody who has one. I know a bunch of people bought them because they were a lot cheaper than the 700s and other popular rifles, but they are not getting good reviews. Ammo is going to cost the same no matter what rifle it is shot through, so why not spend a little more and get one that would shoot better? To each his own, your money, your gun.

8. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I picked up a Remington 770 a couple weeks ago for $280 OTD. I am not a big deer hunter but I did not want to be restricted to a shotgun for the once or twice a year that I go. It came with a bore sighted bushnell scope. I shot 40 rounds through it last weekend and I believe it's a fine rifle for what it is. And what it is, is a cheap entry level rifle. I was drilling 3" groups at 150 yards, I know that is not a long ways out, but it will fit me needs. It's not a top quality firearm, but it seems fairly accurate and goes boom when the trigger is pulled. Mine is a .308 BTW.

9. Axxe55

as long as you understand it's limitations and only use it a few times a year to hunt, then all should be fine. if one of my M700's had a 3" group at 150 yards, i would swear the barrel was bent!:eek:

10. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

i had 710 . i figured would make a good jack handle

11. Axxe55

even a jack handle is a better jack handle than the 710! it's not even good for that.:D

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Thats a no ****ter the 710 is a disgrace to remington, I fully understand the budget rifle, so does Marlin, savage,weatherby, just to name a few u dont have to by a **** rifle becouse of a budget. Imho marlin x7 rifles hands down beat the others in the budget gun field, Im not even sure really why they call it a entry level rifle when match dollar for dollar, fit, quality, an even has a adjustable trigger, BINGO AN MARLIN IS ITS NAME O

13. bigsteve89

bigsteve89 New Member

this summer i was looking into getting a new rifle to hunt with because i sold my howa 1500 in 270wsm to buy an engagement ring last winter. my father in law had a 770 in 30-06 and i wanted to see what i thought of it because im still on a college students budget and the 770s price appealed to me as did the savage axis, and the marlin x7 and weatherby vanguard. after taking the 770 to the range i debated about throwing it under my jeep and running it over so that noone could ever be subjected to it again. it seemed extremely cheaply made, the action kept binding up on me the stock felt like i could bend it into a circle, and even a 3inch group on it was generous. i ended up buying a remington 721 in 30-06 that was built somewhere around 1948 and had been sitting for a year or two in a friends shop.

14. Axxe55

Amen mulie! the 710 and the 770 are the worst guns to ever have the remington name on them. the marlin X7 is way better. i have grown very attached to my marlin's and plan on adding more in the future.

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I went yesterday an picked up my 4th x7 I grabbed the x7vh in 22-250. For optics I went with a nikon 6x18x40 should be perfect for yotes an prarrie dogs. I will fully admit im hooked on the x7series rifles from marlin. They are just hands down to good to pass up.

16. Axxe55

look at what you done gone and did! now i'm going to have to go and buy another Marlin just to keep up with you!:)

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Sorry axxe im a bad influence on people, but he look at the brightside u will have another fine shootin rifle to add to the collection, an with the money saved on the gun u can get a ziess conquest for it, at optics world online they have the 3x9x40 for 399.99 I just ordered another one.

18. Axxe55

that's allright mulie, just keep being a bad influence! i don't mind. i'm thinking that the next X7 is going to be a 30-06 in camo finish.

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

My 270 is camo an I put the camo buckmasters scope on it. Looks sweet the scope is a perfect match camo wise an was only 209.99