The dick Act of 1902?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by WARFAB, Jun 27, 2013.

1. WARFAB

WARFAB New Member

2. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

You should look for the article about snooping snopes, I think you'll get it if you Google "Snopes gets snopes"

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

snopes is not a valid source of information. its a left wing liberal run site with a political agenda. the myth is "snopes tells the truth about things..."

its like using the national enquirer as a source.

4. WARFAB

WARFAB New Member

Interesting. I'm not a lawyer, but my reading of the articles on the Dick act and the snopes article "refuting" it's claim, I think I can see a little bias. Snopes claims that the Dick act does nothing to declare everyone has a personal right to firearms. But, the Dick act does appear to define "militia" more broadly than many gun control advocates would like. It's not any kind of a slam dunk, but it seems a valid rebuttal to anyone who claims the second amendment only applies to people in an organized fighting force.

Any idea why I can't copy and paste from Snopes?

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As a legislatively enacted law, it can be repealed or supersceded by subsequent legislation just as a SCOTUS decision is valid only until the SCOTUS rules on the topic again.

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Snopes to the truth, is like botulism is to canned soup!!

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a few laws that are still on the books in my home state. They are not enforced, and nobody really whines about it:

**Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as

can the salon owner.

**A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting

on Sunday or they risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

**If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee

has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

**It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a

swimsuit.

**Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Get the point?

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

We get the point. The point is you could care less about rights. Why else would you constantly belittle any law that would protect rights, and praise laws that do the exact opposite?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

This persistent myth has been around the internet about four times. Some people have nothing better to do than make up trash and pass it on as the truth.

The Dick Act was revised by The Army Acts. Little, if any, of the original act is applicable today.

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2013/01/dick_act_mythma.php

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Dick Act was somewhat of a joke from the beginning and never had any real legal standing.

No session of congress can pass a law that cannot be repealed by simple majority. That would require a constitutional amendment..

11. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Wait...

When was this an actual issue?

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

What I care about is exposing the ridiculous to the light.

And, it is possible that you could be right, for the first time. I could actually despise individual rights and freedom and would prefer enslavement and tyranny. Then, again, you could be wrong, couldn't you?

13. locutus

Why do you feel it is necessary to launch personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with you ??

He isn't belittling anything that protects anyone's rights. He just pointed out that there are stupid unenforceable laws still on the books. and nonsense like the Dick act.

14. texaswoodworker

From the way you vote, and the way you respond to laws that violate the Constitution, I would say that would be the truth.

How was that a personal attack? I didn't resort to name calling, and I didn't actually insult him. I pointed out something that was more than obvious to MOST people on this forum. You can't really call pointing out the truth a personal insult.

So, protecting the 2nd Amendment is nonsense?

15. dan01

dan01 New Member

Texaswoodworker, I think I don't like you.

16. texaswoodworker

1) I really don't care if you like me or not. (seriously, I don't recall ever even seeing you before)

2) Go read some of Chain's old posts, and you will see exactly what I mean.

17. vincent

vincent New Member

Y'all need to back up off of Tex...

He's one who actually has the balls to say what he means and makes no apologies for his opinions, I respect the hell out of that...

Some of you probably need to re-read the forum rules, especially the part about having a 'thick skin'...get over yourselves...

18. locutus

19. texaswoodworker

I wasn't attacking him. I was attacking his argument, using all of his old arguments. :)

as Vincent said, grow a thick skin.