The Defensive Carbine

Discussion in 'North Carolina Gun Forum' started by Tactical_Precision, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Tactical_Precision

Tactical_Precision New Member

Anyone that owns or is looking to own a long gun whether it be a traditional carbine or the AR (Armalite Rifle) should take a look at this link. It is a great read on the perks and importance of having a defensive carbine in your home. Credits to NRA media.

Who trains with their defensive carbine on a regular basis?

Some great drills to come in a later post that I will share on how to improve your skills with your defensive carbine.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=1017

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I miss the old format showing how long the poster has been a member.

SRK97 and towboater like this.

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just tap, and it will bring up the poster’s info.

Dallas53 and MisterMcCool like this.
  4. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

The utility of a personal carbine for defense is very much related to the skills one develops in practice shooting. At very close range, it is probably irrelevant against the BG but possibly very relevant for neighbors and family (that includes pets!).

Improving skills is always good. Thanks!

Tactical_Precision likes this.
  5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Well crap, that was easy. :eek:

SRK97 and RJF22553 like this.
  6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A thought on defensive carbines: if things get too tight you can always use it as a defensive club, the old plexar jab, (yes they curl up even without the bayonet attached), followed by a horizontal butt stroke. And, for that the mini14 will work better than most AR platform carbines.

RJF22553, Ghost1958 and Dallas53 like this.
  7. Tactical_Precision

As that is an excellent point, the main goal is to never allow an adversary to get that close in the first place!

RJF22553, Ghost1958 and Dallas53 like this.
  8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I prefer a hand gun for close range.

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. Tactical_Precision

It is dependent upon the situation. Usually, if you have a long gun, you should prefer to have that in the fight rather than a handgun. Especially if there are multiple adversaries or intruders. A rifle caliber has the more likelihood of stopping an intruder faster and more effective than a handgun. I will have to look up the video, but there are plenty where someone on drugs takes 5-6 rounds from a handgun and continues to charge. I do love my handgun as well though!

Ghost1958 and Dallas53 like this.
  10. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

i'll weigh in with my thoughts on the carbine usage. i do agree that a rifle cartridge is much better than most pistol cartridges for self defense. now that said, most people do tend to gravitate towards a pistol for home defense, and if they do go for a long gun, it's usually a shotgun. now the reason for going with a pistol is usually i would think portability and ease of access.

i think a person has to look at their particular and specific needs and circumstances to decide if a carbine or rifle is better suited for their needs. a person living in town in an apartment, well, a carbine or rifle might not be the optimum choice for home defense IMO. a shotgun or pistol might be the better choice. but what a person needs to look at are the factors for their specific needs.

personally, i favor the shotgun for home defense. couple of reasons. it's more likely to be deadly at very close ranges than a pistol. and it doesn't require the same amount of precision in aiming that a pistol or rifle require. loaded appropriately, even supposedly non-lethal shots could end up being lethal, just from bleeding out. blowing off half a man's leg or arm will cause massive bleeding.

11. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Nothingv
    Nothing says STOP like a few rounds of 00 buck. Lol.

RJF22553 and Tactical_Precision like this.
  12. Tactical_Precision

I definitely agree with you there! There was another article from the NRA on the home defense shotgun. Being an NRA member, have you been able to read it??

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. Dallas53

no i haven't read that article. might have to look it up though and see just what it happens to say.

like i said, just my personal preference for the use of a shotgun. i like a pistol for it's portability, but if i'm going to grab a long gun, it's about 99% of the time i'm going for one of the pump shotguns.

i live in a very rural area of our county, with no close neighbors, (the closest neighbor ia about 1/4 mile away.) so i could very safely use a carbine for home defense. but, in our case, the usual interlopers that are dealt with are of the four legged and slithering type rather than two legged! i am also fortunate to live far enough from the road, with enough tree cover that the house can't be seen, and a gate at the main entrance that's usually closed and locked, plus several dogs outside that will alert if anyone comes around. so anyone thinking about trying to sneak up, is very highly unlikely.

Tactical_Precision and RJF22553 like this.
  14. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I think this has drifted to an "either/or" discussion. For in the home, my pistol gives me time to either quickly stop the threat or give me time to get to my shotgun with OO Buck, which WILL end the threat.

Picking up my shotgun doesn't mean I leave my hand gun behind! Five rounds of OO Buck should do the job, but I figure one or two BGs might not - just a safety margin. A Beretta 92FS with 15+1 and another 15 round mag should complete the job if required, or leave enough bodies for the LEOs to track down the survivors.

As Dallas has pointed out, to each situation, their own. For me, much of that depends on where I am as to what non-pistol firearm I choose. House: CCW, followed up with a shotgun, followed up with an M1 Carbine if necessary: all easily accessible. Barn area: CCW, followed up with a PCC, followed up with a Mini. All depends where you are at the time...

Works for me, but probably not for most.

Apartments: No-Go on an AR: .45ACP or less, or a PCC, IMHO. Don't want to be killing your neighbors (most of the time). Farm/acreage: the sky is the limit (as well as availability of lye and a backhoe).;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Dallas53 and Tactical_Precision like this.
  15. Tactical_Precision

No need to look it up! I got it for you right here to save you some time!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=1017

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. Dallas53

Tactical_Precision likes this.
  17. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Agree 100% that the appropriate tool varies from one situation to another.

I have my handgun on me basically all the time, so in a surprise situation that is probably what I'll have available. With some advance warning, I could retreat to a safe room and get a long gun, rifle or shotgun. Mobility with a long gun is problematic, but if I'm staying put the long gun is probably better and the handgun is still available. The shotgun can limit overpenetration with the right load if that is a concern. The carbine can have much more capacity if that is a concern and the mags could be interchangeable with the handgun.

I don't want to have to choose one as "the best" because I have no way to anticipate the situation. I prefer to choose one as "the most practiced" and learn that one well enough to get the job done. Your choices and mine can be different without either being wrong.

Tactical_Precision and Dallas53 like this.
  18. Dallas53

exactly. in my give situation, even though i don't currently own one, a pistol cartridge carbine could be a viable option for me. i think all firearms if used in the right situations are the right choice.
    what a person needs to do is assess their own individual and specific circumstances to determine what firearm, or firearms would be the most appropriate for them.

Tactical_Precision and RJF22553 like this.