The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Dillinger, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So I think I can safely assume 50% plus of you like minded folks have loving AMC's Walking Dead. Who isn't, right? Oh yeah, them....:rolleyes:

So I think it's pretty obvious the one guy who has his SHTF self together is Daryl Dixon, played by Norman Reedus of Boondock Saints' Fame. He's grizzled, he's uncouth, dirty, and completely the guy who seems perfectly well grounded and NOT a drama bomb, right?

So obviously the silent crossbow is the perfect stealth weapon and we all need one, right?!?! :eek:

Okay, maybe it's only me. :eek:

But because all my FTF Friends know I have a research case of OCD that can't be easily satisfied, I give you my latest find and the reasons why.

The Stryker Crossbow

Now while the TAC-15 is on everyone's That's Cool list, it's big, it's awkward and it takes a hand crank to reload instead of traditional foot in frame and tether found in every other crossbow out there.

The Stryker will throw Heavy bolts, 385 grain broadhead hunters, at upwards of 350fps!

That is a Zombie Slayer right there folks, and at half the price of the TAC-15.

Now, as you all know I don't like to rush after bleeding edge tech, this company is dealing with some production issues at the moment, but the warranty repairs are being reported as very positive. This is good.

After all, we have until Dec. 21st, 2012, or sooner if BO is elected again, so take some time, earmark a piece of that tax return or year end bonus, if you are lucky enough. :rolleyes:

Give it a serious look, I think you will like the features and the reduced weight.

Daryl would definitely approve. :D

JD

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

wow. how wierd that i was pondering the same thing this week. would a crossbow be a good thing to have around. well i think i will start looking and learning thats for sure

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

That looks as though it could be quite fun. Bring on the pumpkins and watermelons.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Right? Right! :D:D

JD

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

J.D.,I'll just stick with my Horton Vision 175.I really like this crossbow.
    If we had anything to hunt,damn drought,I was going to use it for archery season this year but no deer around.
    Maybe I'll get to try it out on some hogs in a couple weeks,we went out Sunday nite,but I wanted to break in the 458 SOCOM on them first.But once again,none were seen.

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I love the idea of cross bows for zombie hunting, if you ever look at the guys bolt when it's loaded into the crossbow it's sitting on top of the string... glade to see they thing about safety.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I don't have cable to I'm not lucky enough to actually get to watch Walking Dead except when I'm in the gym on a treadmill or something...

The crossbow has been on my want list for quite some time but up til a year or so ago you couldn't hunt with them here in NC. The year after I bought my first bow that law changed....All I know is Halloween is over and there are a number of pumpkins that need slaying!!

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think they're a great idea, but rapid follow up shots are off the table. That's the deal breaker for me.

9. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

now you got me shopping.....again. :)

I really want to square up on my goal to have a shotgun in the collection soon, but with this i could have endless hours of fun shooting in the shop or shop yard.

well, i am going to give a serious look:cool:

after a quick review...for $150 more i'm liking what i read about the excalibur equinox....plus i just like the genuine look of the recurve when it comes to bows and crossbows....

did i mention i have an impulse buying issue...sometimes i can supress it sometimes i cant......the next range report will tell

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I looked at that one too. The thing is their 350fps speed is with their bolt and a special string. It can be achieved, if you order right, but the Styker comes to 350-380fps stock, which is a plus.

Now the recurve thing I have to give you because I like that look too. ;)

TxNorton turned me onto the Vision and it's a great looking crossbow that is built right. I like the reverse bow in terms of weight across the grip, the only thing I saw as a downside was the pull weight vs. speed of flight / impact on skull.

I did a lot of comparing and came to the Styker against my early opinion because of the mixed reviews right now. Seems the repair issues have been worked out.

Then again, SHOT is in 2.5 months and something brand new could hit the market. :cool:

JD

11. orangello

orangello New Member

1. Are you saying you look a bit run-down when using the treadmill? :p

2. Similar issue in MS in regards to hunting, very limited. A relative has a permanently disabled eye and purchased a crossbow, but i don't know if it has been used yet on teh swamp donkey culling.

And yes, my first thought was "i wonder what that would do to Yogi?".

12. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Dillinger you take on daryl is spot on, i was thinking the same thing. I wouldnt mind havin a cross bow around for shtf aswell. Do u have any idea what the stryker cost? A guy i work with said by the time you buy one and slap a scope on it youd be looking at a grand or more, i just cant see spending that on a crossbow. I mean for that you could get a good ar and have those follow up shots

13. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

cabelas had a stryker package deal for $749 but the page i checked also said "sold out"

the excalibur equinox package at same place in stock was $899. there were some ten points and other brands over a $1000 as well.

and regarding the follow up shots, now that i've been thinking about these things all afternoon, i seem to recall a movie whose title i dont remember where a guy had a 2 shot crossbow.... can anyone else happen to back me up on that....:eek:? it may have been some obscure medieval flick my best friend and I hunted out way back when....

14. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

yeah i noticed the thing about different string to achieve the desired fps, i need to read up more on them in general. a friend was telling me he had one and the bolts would break all the time unless you were always hitting hay bails or something as soft.

i suppose that isnt a concern in the shtf scenario or with zombies but in this non zombie economy, i'd rather be able to re use the quarrels/bolts.

another thought i had on the recurve was a tad quieter..not sure if thats true though

lastly, the reviews i was reading on both were off of cabelas site and i'm not always sure how to interpret those, the could be phony entries by the product reps....but it seemed like the equinox had 5x as many 5stars as 1stars, with a larger sample base like 25 and the stryker had about 12-13 total with as many 5stars as 1stars...some being about the limbs breaking.

now like i said...not sure how many grains of salt to take those reviews with but it did play into my choosing...

and again maybe they have the issues with the stryker resolved and the new ones are spot one....

it be nice to rent a few to try em out

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Hey Mack. You're discussing the Chinese Repeating crossbow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JToxcNxED5I]Weapon Masters- Chinese Repeating Crossbow - YouTube[/ame]

Not super accurate.

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

That was weapon masters that had the chinese repeating crossbow, think it was on history channel or military channel. The host was a tall goofy guy with a gotee. Pretty interesting show.

17. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I think a crossbow would be sweet to own! I just added one more thing to my wish list. :D

18. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

Nice find Ben.....thats the one.

so far the only thing that kind of bugs me is the tree pattern camos they seem to ONLY be available in....:confused:

i want one in all black and the kolorfusion or whatever that composite material is doesnt appear to be repaintable? anyone know different?

19. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I remember what you're talking about. I remember a movie where the guy had some goofy repeating crossbow that never seemed to run out of bolts.

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Just who are you calling TxNorton? Drink another cup of Joe,J.D.
    Not that I mind,but TxNorton just might.:D

And I really don't see any downside to the pull weight vs fps. 175 lb pull & 325-350 fps.I do need to run a few thru the chronograph to see just what the speed is,but it sends the bolts into the rubber/foam target pretty dang deep.Deep enough that I have to wear leather gloves in order to pull them back out,and it doesn't matter whether it's 20 yards or 50 yards.

I still want a Tac-15,but there's no way to justify the cost and perfomance differences.Yes,it does shoot groups at 100 yards,but it is also shooting a 26" arrow,and that is the main reason for that.The pull weight is only 10lbs greater than the Vision.
    The main thing that brought me to buy the Vision was the way the weight of the bow is centered,it's not like trying to hold up a boat anchor,like most conventional crossbows.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011