The Cowboy Truck

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

So I'm thinking the Hyundai won't cut cowboy chores.

What kind of chores would it have to perform, and what truck is best suited?

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

F-350 dually...in white or black, Hauling feed, towing trailers, carrying tools and equipment necessary to maintain the ranch and fence lines.

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Had one black car. When it was clean, it was the sexiest vehicle ever. Three grains of dirt, looked like doo doo.

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Not Cowboy Truck; more for hunting truck is a 1979 Chevy Short bed pickup 4 x 4, no A/C, no radio, no power windows, door locks and steering!

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Find an old Ford or Chevy 1/2 ton. Nothing fancy, just a truck. Never wash it, but keep it running like a top and you're good to go.

6. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Anything but the name Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Volvo,Honda, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen, Kia.

Keep it AMERICAN ! Hell Yeah. 10 mpg might piss off some people but not me !

But then again my 1986 Chevy C10 will roll over most cars nowadays. Feel much safer.:cool:

7. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Unless you are doing heavy hauling, the dually is overkill. A F350 crewcab longbed will handle almost anything you can throw at it. I would, and did, go with white. Out here it is a little cooler and the white doesn't look really dirty until it is a total mud monster.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Late 70's-Early 80's Full size jeep truck. J10 or j20
    All American, V8, 4spd with granny gear. 33's fit stock, 35's with a little lift or fender trimming. Lots of rust and dried mud.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

IIRC, I saw an F150 with a post that popped up in the bed, almost like a handhold of some kind. What's the purpose there?

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

It's for girly men who can't climb.

11. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I own three diesels. An 2005 F250 that I use to tow the travel trailer and the family in and two Dodge Cummins.

The Cummins are my go to rigs, they haul the horse trailers, the tractors and a 20' flat bed that I put anywhere from 64 to 80 bales of hay on. The Dodge's and the Ford don't even know the weight is there, but the Dodge is a work truck. They will pull anything, maybe not very fast but they will pull it.

My Ford is just too pretty to use on the ranch.
    [​IMG]

This is my wifes Dodge with one of the trailers
    [​IMG]

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I vote for the F250, minimum. A dually isn't required, but a desiel is.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The must-have Cowboy Truck!

Attached Files:

14. Jess

Jess New Member

The most important aspect of the cowboy truck is the dog. I suggest one of these...

Attached Files:

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Cowboys never had fancy sissy city slicker wannabe trucks like you boys.

We had trucks that were ment to work not look prety.

Benning your going to want a 1/2 ton short box basic pick up that has a few dents some scratches and a tool box 4x4 is prefers but not a much have.

All them super big ugly things are worthless when your trying to build a fence. Yoru to scared to scratch them.

The hauling truck was owned by the ranch owner to pull the trailers that was all it was used for.

16. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Benning,

I believe what you saw was a goose neck ball, most horse and stock trailers are goose necks that have a round cylinder that lowers over a large hitch ball that is mounted in the middle of the truck bed. This makes a very stable towing platform and is safer than a bumper hitch it also is easier to use than a standard 5th wheel hitch. Glasshartt and I have both goose neck and 5th wheel hitches in our truck but I prefer the goose neck.

17. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

PSSSSSSSTTTTTT.. Tango, ask Glasshartt about the big "ding" on the bed of her truck and how it happened. :cool::D

18. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Anything Dodge with a Cummins and the 6speed.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oh your about as much a cowboy as Britney Spears.

Move along.