The Cowboy Rifle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I never really gave thought to this till now.

I own rifles based solely on my local terrain. Not alot of open space, lotsa thick brush.

If I make the move westward to (Sighs longingly) Texas, what is the rifle/caliber I need to fend off varmints, engage in battles with desperados, that is historically close to my new lifestyle?

I'm also probably dumping the pump shottys in favor of the coach gun, good call?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Personally, I think the only logical choice for a true cowboy gun is a Winchester Lever action, something like the 1866, 1873 or better yet the 1894. In .44 of course, then your pistol and your rifle can shoot the same ammo.

But that is just me. And I am partial to the Winchester Lever Actions since I inherited one and it's awesome. :D

Attached Files:

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Get out to Vegas quick. On a recent episode of Pawn Stars, Rick took in an authentic Winchester 1886 chambered in 45/90.Yup, that will pack a wallop.

Also as a note, DISH network has had a lot of commercials lately for the Henry Arms Co. See them a lot while watching the history channel...

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

Winchester 94. You just missed a good deal out of Mich by 2 days. He sold one for $175.

5. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I agree with JD, but I would go with 45 Long Colt.. sorry, but I love that round. :D

6. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Don't forget about the Henrys. I'd also agree with either the 45 LC or the 44-40.

Attached Files:

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Nothing wrong with the 45LC. I love that round too. I just know that the .44 caliber rifles are more common these days.

I have one in .44-40 and that thing is awesome. I love it.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Nothing says "cowboy" like the 45LC. IMO.
    Have you checked out the Uberti rifles? Man they are Sweet! :)

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Even Jesus shoots a 45 LC LOL

Attached Files:

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Here ya go, BB. The Tallahassee zombie-killer. Just make sure your boots are black to match your outfit.
    [​IMG]

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^^ And an instant felony conviction. :p

Great rig though. Definitely a cool addition to what was already a really good movie.

13. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Tango, I agree but I would have to say nothing says Cowboy like the 1874 business rifle in 45-70 AND rounds are easy to get for .45-70. Of course, that aint so good for varmint. I do LOOOOOOOVE my sharps rifles though....:D

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No conviction JD.

They sell them down here legally, as pistols!

The Mare’s Leg Pistol:

Diamond Jim Buchanan's Custom Sales and Service

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really?? They must be claiming that because the stock is cut off so short, it's not a "real" rifle?? :eek:

Interesting. But that is a rifled barrel, so I would think that would count.

Well, I stand corrected. Carry on then. :eek:

16. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Pistols have rifled barrels also. :confused:

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is true, but one of the differences is that a "pistol", in Federal eyes, does not have a stock that you can shoulder.

If you attach a stock to a SBR ( like an AR pistol ) you need to have a federal tax stamp.

A rifled barrel with a stock, has to be a minimum of 16" to be Federally legal.

Since this "rifle" has wood past the back of the action, I was under the VERY MISTAKEN impression that it would not be legal.

Cane has showed me that is not the case. Which is kind of cool if I were to ever win the lottery, I would get one. :p

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I love the .45-70 round. However, this is my Winchester 94 AE Wrangler in '30-30 Winchester with a 16" barrel:

[​IMG]

19. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Now this, I wondered about.
    30-30 has a rep for less than stellar accuracy, due to round noses.

With the new Hornady squishy tip rounds, you can have boat tail accuracy in a tube fed rifle.

Any experience?

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a 94 Winchester chambered in 30 30 and with that Hornady Lever Evolution ammo it's a lot more fun to shoot. Got a 1894 Marlin in 44 that's a blast too:D