the cost of full auto

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by willymax4, Oct 9, 2017.

1. willymax4

willymax4 New Member

can someone explain the cost difference between a semi auto and full auto weapon?

2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Roughly two orders of magnitude. Full auto is illegal to import or manufacture for the civilian market. So the few that are out there have been grandfathered in, and are selling for progressively higher prices, if they show up on the open market.

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Supply and demand.

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

as mentioned, supply and demand. as of after Sept. 1986 IIRC, if a fully auto firearm wasn't registered, it was no longer legal to sell to civilians. and afterwards, no new fully auto firearms could be made and sold to civilians as mentioned.

so there are only a limited amount of them legal for civilian sales, so the prices tend to be very high. prices vary on fully auto firearms as well. from about $5000 to upwards of $40K depending on what FA firearm it is. some of the M16's can be bought for around $15K to $20K, while some of the Thompson SMG's from the 1920's and 1930's can be well over $30K and up.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

An AR-15 can be had for under $1,000.

A legally registered M-16 in good condition will cost from $30,000 on up.

winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.
  6. Chainfire

That helps keeping machine guns out of the hands of the riff-raff. There is a class III dealer that I speak with on occasion; his clients are mostly doctors, lawyers, bankers and accountants.....You know, the people who are stable enough to handle them.......

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As far as the COST of producing one, the COST of manufacturing an AR 15 and M 16 are within a few dollars of each other. However, as they said up there ^^^, the PRICE of a legal, transferable to a civilian full auto M 16 is roughly 15 times the COST of making one.

The cutoff day was May 1986. Only the full auto guns registered by that date CAN be transferred to a private citizen. No new full autos can be sold to a private citizen. Since there is a finite number, price went up.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

the cost described above is if you do it right. if you do it wrong, ten years in the Federal pen, loss of voting and gun rights, and the acquisition of a skill set and experiences I would rather not have, thank you very much

9. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I have to disagree in that there are many NFA purchaser's today that are not Doctors, Lawyers etc. I know a many NFA owners and their incomes have a great range. One guy that goes shooting with use all the time and has several FA NFA guns, works as a maintenance guy for semi-conductor plant. He makes most of his money in Overtime, and he does chalk it up and saves it and gets another one. It really depends on where you want to store your money. A lot of people look at as Safe place to put their $ vs the bank or stock market.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Chainfire

Of course there are working stiffs who have Class III weapons. Just as there are guys who live in rented mobile homes and have $50,000 Trucks or $25,000 bass boats or both!. I was stating that you needed a professional income to be able to afford such expensive toys. I was also repeating what I was told by the man who sells the things. I have no reason to believe he lied.

Not many $40,000.00 a year men with families can justify the expense.

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

So do you have a $50k pickup and live in a trailer ? Just kidding.

One think I failed to mention, is that buying one or more can be accomplished, but shooting them can get 100 time more costly !

Bottom line is no matter what your income level is, you need to have the discipline to save prior to buying (Don't mortgage you house to own one).

The big problem is that the cost of CIII guns always rise (They are really a good Investment). Procrastination will not get it done.

Have a good day !

12. Chainfire

No, I drive an 8 year old Ford pick-up, and my second car is a Kia......But, I do have a nice house; not something Trump would appreciate, but nice for me.

I had some experience playing with machine guns back in the 90s. I ran a construction company for one of the guys that advertise MGs in Shotgun News and other gun magazines. A really serious class III dealer. (still is) We went out, several times, to the Homestead, Fl. Police range and shot up what was probably thousands of dollars worth of ammo per trip. I got to shoot a lot of different MGs. It cost me nothing. It was a lot of fun under those circumstances, but It is not something I wish to own bad enough to pay for it. As a point of interest, the machine gun I had the most fun with shot .22 LR. It was a hoot.

I work for a living, and I like to spend my disposable income on old military bolt action rifles or antique and modern pistols. To go out and blow $500.00 on ammo on a trip would kill my tightwad Scottish heart.

In my old age, shooting iron sight bolt action rifles, or a modest collection of pistols and revolvers is good enough.

kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  13. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Well Crap - Here you are commenting on the high cost of CIII MG's and you never wanted one.

I guess I must be to old to understand (73). Have a good evening !

14. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i have shot fully auto firearms several times, and though fun as hell, i have no desire to own one myself.

even if they weren't so expensive to buy, and didn't require a tax stamp the own, they would still be expensive to shoot, unless you owned an ammo factory!

and just because i don't want one personally, i support the right of private citizens to own them.

15. formerCav

formerCav Member

you can buy a spitfire (looks sort of like a Thompson, but is made of sheetmetal tubing much like a sten) for about $5K today. I bought mine back around 2011 for $3200. I had to have about 500 bucks worth of machine work and experimentation done to "make it work reliably"
    There is a website for them. I haven't checked in the last year, but they were going for 5K.
    They use grease gun magazines, so I bought about a dozen of them when they were available.
    It shoots 45 ACP rounds very FAST so you better have a reloading machine. (I said machine NOT a single stage press!)
    you can dump the 30 round mag in about 3 seconds and it will CLIMB even though I have a Thompson cutts comp on the end.
    It took roughly 7 months to get approved by sheriff Joe (I MISS HIM!) and the ATF.
    I wanted an M-16 as they are "modular". You can switch them over to a 22LR upper for economical full auto fun.
    at the time they ranged in price from 11K to 25K for a clean / mint colt.
    OH, and PS, I was retired when I bought it.

Dallas53 likes this.