the cookpot is a wasted pick on the alone TV show

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by B9er, Nov 15, 2020.

1. B9er

B9er Member

you can weave a couple of baskets in an hour or so, line them with chunks of tarp and duct tape and have the "buckets" that you'll need to refine workable pottery clay out of shoreline mud. In one day, you can have a couple of 1-gallon pots (with lids) plus 50 or more baked- clay balls for use as "ammo" for the slingbow. That's one of the main reasons to take the slingbow instead of a regular bow. You dont lose or damage arrows or waster hours looking for them, when all you had a shot at was a chipmunk,small bird, etc.

When you're holed up for the winter, pebbles or ice balls and the slingbow will entertain you, too. You can also make a pottery sieve-ladle. Add 5 ft of wooden handle to it and you can remove ice shards from your fishing holes and net-slits for ice-fishing, which delays how quickly new ice forms on the surface of the water. You need to avoid getting wet as you do this, of course.

The 10 item limit really shows how little people know. You DO have to move a bushel or two of shoreline mud to your shelter before it freezes, but that's just the work of an hour or so. The hot rocks under the raise bed, your body heat and the Siberian fire lay, projecting its heat thru the clear vertical side of the Kochanski supershelter can add 80F degrees of warmth to the sun-warmed shelter, so you CAN work pottery, regardless of it being 20F degrees outside of the shelter.

With such pots, you only have to cook or boil water once per day. That's a huge savings of time during the precisous 40 days or so that you have before the lake freezes over. It takes a week to get set up to net fish much at all, and at least another week to get into full production. That leaves 3 weeks in which you need to catch at least 300 lbs of fish if you want to last 100 days without catchng a big animal and if you need to go 200 days, you'll need to catch 700 lbs of fish. You'll only be averaging a few lbs of fish per day thru the ice, in spite of having lots of hooks, baited nets, etc. So you've got to lay in a big supply of frozen fish. before the lake freezes over.

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am glad you have all of this stuff figured out. Instead of investing my time in trying to learn to live like a Neanderthal, I invest my time into the furtherance of modern society, so that, instead of having to pull a tarp and duct tape out of the air to make a bucket, I can just run down to Wal-Mart and pick up a perfectly good bucket, made in China of course, and while I am there I can buy a package of Mullet if I have a taste for fish.....

Regression is for the weak.

Poppy1 and locutus like this.

3. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

Package of mullet? What’s that?

4. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.12.24 PM.png

primer1 likes this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Have trouble lsying in a supply of fish???

Ever heard of dynamite??/:D

6. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

Ask a dumb question............

Oldoutlaw and ellis36 like this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

My ceramics sucked in 7th grade art. Weaving baskets is missing from my skillset. I have, on the other hand, cooked an egg over a fire in a mussel shell. Interesting reading but I'd rather not do those things. Creek mud is probably a poor substitute for clay from Hobby Lobby.

primer1 and Pasquanel like this.
  8. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun Well-Known Member

I'm thinking just leave all the tools behind. Simply find an iron ore deposit near my camp site. Mine it, smelt it, then cast my own tools. This survival stuff is easy peazy, aint it?

Pasquanel likes this.
  9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

B9er, you assume a lot! Not all lakes have shores rich in clay in fact you may not be near any lake. The challenge is to survive as long as possible not indefinitely! The first and foremost is adequate shelter while you still have the strenght and energy! Also you are relegated to the materials at hand.

In MO, you should stop trying to impress us and sign up for the show and prove what you say.

10. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think B9er can hear you. :)

Rifling82 and Pasquanel like this.
  11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

You morons should be ashamed of your ignorant selves for not gratefully accepting the wisdom of the all-experienced B9!
    Cease your petty carpings and attend to his utterences!

Oldoutlaw and Pasquanel like this.
  12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I bet he's a hoot to watch this program with....:rolleyes:

Oldoutlaw and freefall like this.
  13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I am ignorant of whatever show we are talking about.
    And I don't always watch television, but when I do I prefer the company of The Lovely Mrs Freefall.

14. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

bull.gif

15. Poppy1

Poppy1 New Member

Elias or Gunkid?

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just don't allow yourself to get into a survival situation that you are not prepared for.

Depending on where you are and where you're going, you keep certain items in the trunk of your vehicle.

And you want items that will keep you comfortable as well as surviving.. Your brain works and focuses much better when you are comfortable.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I watch Dual Survival occasionally on the television thing. It's interesting, entertaining, and informative.