The constant caliber debate

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by UnderFire, Nov 15, 2009.

1. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Is there any way we can take advantage of the studies & shooting results out there to stop the constant caliber debate?
    It could be posted as a sticky and referred to when caliber performance questions come up. Members can also post the link in the topic when a new member asks, "Is this X caliber better than this Y caliber"?
    Or are we destined to debate this topic when it comes up?

2. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

I think that's in fact one of those things we will constantly debate. It's like asking "Which operating system is the best? Linux, Mac, or Windows?" People will always disagree on these points, that's just the way we're wired.

3. red ryder

red ryder New Member

whatever works best for you, is the best ammo.

4. Jess

Jess New Member

you know what they say...opinions are like....well yeah you know.:D

5. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Yes, opinions....but I want to use facts
    take advantage of the studies & shooting results

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

7. Yunus

Yunus Active Member

"Best" is a subjective term involving many factors ballisitics are only one of those factors. Not even all the factors are objective, ballsitics is pretty objective but things like kick are totally subjective and even rifle specific.

8. OC357

OC357 New Member

The best caliber (and ballistics that matters) is the one you can consistantly hit the center of the target with during frequent practice. This will vary by individual.

If you can't hit your target you won't have the opportunity to bring the ballistics chart and your weapon up to the perp and show him what you just missed him with.

Just my opinion.

OC

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

OC357 hit the nail on the head. The best caliber is the one YOU can put multiple shots on target in minimum time. Last time I checked, BGs don't read ballistics charts or medical studies.

Bottom line, carry the largest caliber that works for YOUR situation and shooting prowess...

10. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

The ballistics listings seem a tad outdated, especially for 9mm ammo. I have 135gr Hydra-Shok hollow points. The most powerful 9mm on that list are 124gr.

Two in the chest, one in the head. I doubt they'll be making a fuss after that, providing I can hit them. Well, I have 17 in the clip, so chances are alright that I'll hit somewhere and cause enough trauma to stop them.

I know for a fact that I can shoot way faster with higher accuracy with a 9mm than I can with a .45. After my first shot with a .45 it takes me a long time to get down to center, whereas with a 9mm I can shoot a round center mass every second or so.

I think it all depends on what your personal strengths are. If you can reliably fire away a clip of .45 and still have them all hit the target, you're good to go! I can't, so I rely on doing as much damage as quickly as possible.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You do know what J. M. Browning said when asked why he went to double stack in the development of the P-35?

They asked for it in 9mm. [​IMG]

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

the reason there are soooo many rounds and calibers is there is no one magic bullet that is best for everything.

cant take a .22short and expect to succesfully hunt cape buffalo. but using a .470 nitro express for indoor target shooting is a bit brutal.

weapon effectivness in a lot of cases comes down more to shot placement than anything else. the .30-30 will take take whitetail all year long jst as well as a 7mm magnum. it comes down more to preference of the shooter than effectiveness of the round.

i like to use my winchester model 70 chamber in .458winmag loaded down to .45-70 levels to go deer hunting. can i do it with my 5.56 chamber weapons?? sure i can, but i like shooting my winchester and hunting with it. do i have to laod it up with full blown 510 grain bullets that can put holes in cape buffalo or elephants?? nope, i can if i want to have some fun a the range but i dont need to. i prefer using it with much lighter loads.

it all comes down to the fact that there isnt a magic bullet or caliber for everything. so there will always be debate about calibers, bullet design and weights. tahts why there are forums like this and what makes shooting sports so much fun. its a big diverse sport.

13. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I agree with what you're saying...
    one of my friends that I go deer hunting with uses a .243Win standard load, I use a 30/30 ballistic tip load. All is good in the world of hunting. Like I've said before, " a .22 will kill a cow, but it's not what I'll take hunting".

My question is more down the lines of handguns & self defense.
    I believe in the matters of self defense it's a different situation.
    Some calibers (handgun) get a better rating than others,
    but some still want to debate the facts.
    No biggie though, I think the caliber debate is inevitable.

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends......

15. Murfdeezy

Murfdeezy New Member

I like the debate

I always find that debate to be interesting and educational. It is nice when educated people discuss their favorites, as long as they explain why, and under what circumstances. I am not a professional ballistics expert or a really experienced firearms expert, so I enjoy the debate. I did find some very helpful information about the home defense aspect of the caliber debate on Chuckhawks.com. Here is the link. I found it interesting, and thorough. Thanks.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

16. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 New Member

We all have our opinions and that's what makes the world interesting. Imagine what this place would be like if everyone thought the same.

I started shooting .45acp in 1968 and used to refer to pistols chambering the 9x19 as "girl guns." I started shooting 9mm when .45 became so difficult to find and began to see that it really doesn't matter what caliber you use. WHERE you place the round is all important.

Reminds me of a story. This author was ragging on a certain caliber because it failed to knock down a bear. Reading farther down, it turns out the the ineffective round hit the bear in the PAW! A paw shot isn't going to do anything but tick the bear off. Same goes with any other caliber. A solid, vital hit with a .22 is a lot better than a miss with a .44 magnum!

Flash

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  17. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Yes, I agree that shot placement is best to stop a threat.
    But in self defense situations shot placement is highly unlikely.
    When comparing calibers, ballistics and facts stand out. Although some want to debate. A bigger wound channel causes more trauma and better chance on hitting a vital organ.
    The caliber debate is inevitable.

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree that this will never end. But, it is also because guns and ammunition keep evolving. I would not consider carrying a 22 magnum as a self defense gun. But now that Kel-Tec has produced one with a 30 round magazine, I can imagine people will try to make an argument for it.

19. Shihan

Shihan Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just get a .357sig debate over.:D

20. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

I dont know.....I think personally I would still rather have 17 rounds of 9mm than 30 of .22. Thats just my personal preference.

However, you could use 30 rounds to your advantage in a firefight. That extra 13 rounds is an advantage you could use over your opponent, to help you provide yourself with cover fire and get a better angle. Okay so there are arguements to both sides :D