The Cobra has returned!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by danf_fl, Sep 25, 2017.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

SWSinTN and shadecorp like this.
  2. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

That's the first revolver I ever owned.......nearly 50 years ago. Nice gun then, and now. :)

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Ahh,
    The Cobra.
    Bought mine in 1957
    just before I joined the Army.
    alas, my Son forgot it was in his VW bus
    when him and some friends crossed the border
    into Canada.
    All were arrested
    the Cobra confiscated.
    My Son had them call our local Police Dept.
    Our local PD gave my Son a good report
    they were released.
    But the Cobra stayed in Canada..

SRK97 and Dallas53 like this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

maybe they will expand their revolvers in the near future. that would be nice to see happen.

5. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I inherited a Colt Cobra from my grandfather. That was the first revolver I ever owned. It had a timing problem when I received it. I fixed it, but that was not easy and required many hours of work to complete. The simplicity of the mechanism belies the mechanical complexity of the motion of the parts involved. If it ever has another timing issue, it's going to become a gunsmith's problem.

If Colt ever starts making 8 shot stainless .357's, that'd be #1 on my wish list. It'd be nice if someone at Colt would get with the times and add Picatinny rails for weapon lights and optics, too. I'm still waiting on some genius to put a laser in the under-barrel lug. If Colt can ninja-fy it enough, it'd make a decent service weapon.

6. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I handled one at Air base in Oklahoma City.
    It was nice but not tight in it and in end play and side play like the Colts of old, like the python and Trooper. I never looked at the old Cobra but assume it was as same as the others. The blasted finish..well cheap in comparison o the old deep polished to perfection finishes and way too costly for what it is now.

7. Dallas53

in cost comparison, the new Cobra is probably priced about right. there was lots of hand fitting of parts in the older Colts, which translates into lots of time spent by a skilled worker. the same with the finishes. to get the deep polished blued or nickel finishes requires lots of man hours to do, by someone skilled at doing it. which translates into being very expensive to do

MSRP on that new Colt Cobra is $699. if all the parts were hand fitted, and all of the polishing done by hand on that pistol, it would be at least twice and much if not probably closer to three times as much in price. right now, it's pretty close in price to some of the new Ruger double actions.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, bring back the King Cobra!

Dallas53 and danf_fl like this.
  9. Dallas53

the Anaconda and the Python as well. :)