The Chili Recipe Thread!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Axxe55, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a few of us were discussing chili in the "What's Up For Dinner" thread and figured it deserved it's own dedicated thread.

making chili is one of my cooking passions right up there with smoking and grilling. i get very involved with my chili making! i will spend about 4-6 hours in the kitchen making a batch of my homemade chili.

this thread is for recipes, ideas, suggestions and tips. along with trivia and neat facts that you may have about chili.

so let's talk about making chili!:D

2. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

It takes me two days to make a batch of chili.

:fake Texas drawl:
    This here is my Two Meat Atomic One Second Slum Clearance Chili:

[​IMG]

I make BIG batches of food since I am usually feeding 10+ people at a time.

I start with two big Bottom Roasts and toss them in a crock pot with chopped onions and fresh minced garlic.

[​IMG]

Next I take a big package of boneless skinless chicken breast and give them the same treatment as the beef.

[​IMG]

I put the meat in the evening before I want to serve the chili.

Once the meat is nearly done (next day) to start with I put in 2 cans of each of black beans, dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans, pinto beans and chili beans.

Then I drop in 3 big cans to tomato sauce 2 small cans of tomato paste and 5 fresh tomatoes that I prep by smashing them with a meat tenderizer, mixing the smashed tomatoes diced peppers (red, yellow and green) and then sauteing with fresh garlic, onions and a TINY SLIVER of a ghost pepper.

After that I start it all cooking in my big ol' prison pot for about 5 hours while mixing about 15 different spices and herbs in.

3. Axxe55

WM, you cook chili very similiar to the way i do. in huge batches!

my personal preference for meat in my chili is a blend of venison, beef and pork sausage.

i have been thinking about making a poultry based chili, using more green vegatables rather than red ones. maybe chicken or turkey meat based. still thinking that one over.

one of my methods of cooking the meat is that i seperate the onions, bell peppers and hot peppers into two batches. one batch is chopped up an cooked with the meat to add some it's flavor to the meat while it cooks. and i use an iron skillet for cooking the meat. the other batch is chopped up and put into the main cooking pot along with the fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and Rotel tomatoes with chili peppers an all the beans. for beans, i use four different types, including, red kidney beans, Ranch Style beans, chili beans and pinto beans.

for the hot peppers i use what i can find many time locally. usually jalopenos, poblanos and cerrano peppers. this is where i would like to try out some different peppers to see about changing the flavor profile, but i just have to rely on what i can get most of the time.

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Mmmm, chilli; one of the best foods known to man. Also, it makes me fart something HORRIBLE. Here's mine;

1 Lb 85% burger, browned

spanish or sweet onion

1 can fire roasted tomatoes

1 small can tomato paste

1 packet McCormick Chilli mix

1 bell pepper

1 TBS brown sugar

1/2 TSP dried habanero pepper flakes

Dump in the crock pot, and cook for at LEAST 4 hours, the 1st 2 hours or so on high. WILL be even better the following day.

This is the recipe I've developed over a few years. It's nearly where I want it, except that I'd like to calm down the acidy taste a little, and add a little more tomatoey taste somehow.

5. Axxe55

try increasing the amount of brown sugar or adding in some molasses, and try some adding in some fresh diced tomatoes.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't really have a pat recipe, chili just sorta happens here depending on the ingredients at hand. Definitely interested in what others here do.

I like to do the roast and other meat in a cast iron skillet in the oven, they just don't turn out as tasty in a crock pot. And I like to soak/cook dry beans instead of using canned, except you can get away with canned red kidney beans. Fresh tomatoes around here just don't work out so I used canned diced tomatoes and Rotel with chili peppers. Fresh onions, garlic, red and green peppers, jalapenos, you name it. Lots of meat, lots of cooked pintos, lots of peppers, lots of MEAN!

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I put beer in my chili. Along with brown sugar and cocoa powder. Black beans, cannolini beans, red,yellow,orange sweet peppers, Srirachi sauce, beef, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder. Onions. I start it in a pot on the stove top but I put it in the Crock Pot to simmer all day. I make enough to feed me for a week.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

If its got beans its not chili.

You can put anything in there including rusty lugnuts, but if its got beans its not chili.

[​IMG]

If you go to the great texas chili cookoff you get automatic disqualified for beans and likely arrested for crimes against humanity.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What does someone from Wisconsin know about chili! That's as bad as NYC. :D

Beans, yes!

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

This is my 3 meat Chili with beans.........Beef, Pork, & Venison...........You won`t get the recipe...

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
  11. winds-of-change

I believe that is true. But I'm not entering a chili cook off in Texas. I'm just making a delicious batch of 'chili' for me to eat for a few days. And I put two kinds of beans in mine. White and black beans for taste, fiber and color contrast. I guarantee you would like my chili. Come over for dinner some night, Jon? If you feel so inclined, you can pick the beans out and throw them in my bowl of chili. LOL

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Over the boarder................

Texas chili, no tomato sauce or paste, and NO BEANS..................Mey I like kidney and black beans, also a whole hand full of black olives..........I use masa as a thickener. Don't for get the cummin...........

13. Axxe55

JonM is right. i looked and none of the recognized chili judging associations allowed beans or any type of pasta in competition chili. it's not a Texas chili cook-off thing.

Quenton, in defence of JonM, he has learned to recognize the Wolf brand chili on the shelf with no beans!:p

JonM, we Texans have gotten a little lax about the chili with beans rule. we have learned to be more efficient by combining the two!:D

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ahh, yes, I bet molasses would be good. Have to be careful, though, I don't want it ending up too sweet.

Right, I have had beer chili, it is most excellent, even though I don't like to drink beer. But I haven't figured out how to get it in there and make it taste good. What kind of beer do you use?

I did forget to put the beans in my recipe. I use 1 can of red kidney, and 1 can of pinto. I'm not sure what the big thing is against beans, but, IMHO, it's not chilli unless it has beans, red(isn) meat, and tomatoes.

15. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

If there are no beans....its NOT chili...its called coney sauce.

16. willshoum

willshoum New Member

To much acid................

A true chili has no tomato, If you use tomato you get all the acid from the tomato, My little buddy uses grape jelly to counter this, why grape jelly, hell I don't know but thats what he uses. Meat wise I like half ground of deer, pork, beef. Then cube the other half............I'll use a heck of a lot of black olives.:eek:;)

17. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

That sounds good..I'm going to try the black olives next time..

18. winds-of-change

Start with just a little then add to taste. You can always add a little more but once you put too much in, you can't fix that. I use brown sugar. That sweetens it a little bit and gives a nice spicy sweet flavour. The chocolate takes some of the sting out of the heat but leaves in all the flavour.

I put in diced tomatoes then I add a can of tomato paste. At that point it's too thick and I use beer instead of water to get some liquid in it. I use any beer I have on hand but the darker the beer, the better the flavour.

How can you make chili with no tomato? I have made bbq meatballs with grape jelly. It does the same thing as the brown sugar I add. Sweetens it up a little for a spciy sweet flavour.

19. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok some of you are going to make fun of my Chili and thats fine (jelly and chocolate. GOOD GRIEF :p). This is my piece of dirt, my house, my kitchen and my crockpot and my CHILI.

3 lbs. of ground beef browned and drained
    8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced
    2 cans red kidney beans drained
    1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 16 oz. can peeled tomatos crushed (fresh in season)
    6 Jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped (use latex gloves)
    1 envelope of chili mix
    2 large onions chopped
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 tbsp. crushed red pepper
    2-3 tsp. salt
    2-3 tsp.garlic powder
    2-3 tsp. cumin

Dump everything in a crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and serve with fresh buttered bread. The frozen loafs in the store are fine. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Not Mexican........................

Chili here in the U.S. Is a deviation from the Mex.............The Red sauce comes not from the tomato but a combination of red chili peppers cooked and smoked in various ways, then run thru the mill. Youse ever heard of a green chili.............I think it was the Americans that added the tomato sauce..................The last big batch of chili I made with deer meat at a X mas party went before all the other food that was brought..........When you see someone with french bread wiping the pot clean, you know it's good.........No grape jelly or sugar..................;)